Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So, I don't get it: I thought if you played in London you were required to have a bye the following week. Why aren't the Colts on a bye this week?? Did they change that rule just this year??
Quote:
According to multiple reports, the Colts requested to not have their week off after the London trip in order to avoid an early season bye.
Colts first team not with bye week post London - NFL.com

Seems like a reasonable decision. The game ended about 12:30 pm EDT. It's about 9 hours from London to Indianapolis, so they could have been back home by around 11:00 PM EDT or so - about when they'd be rolling in after a late afternoon game on the west coast, or much earlier than after an away game on Thursday/Sunday/Monday night. The only difference is a few more hours sitting in spacious catered, first class luxury. There might be a little jet lag, though some teams try and stick to their normal clock schedules to mitigate this. Anyway, they get Monday off and they're back to normal for Tuesday film and practice.

They're professionals. It's not like the year is 1950 and they're taking a train all the way to California to play either the Rams or the 49ers, then staying in a hotel all week so they can play the other California team seven days later (look at any NFL team schedule from the 1950s - this is how they did it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
CAT is 34-29, And there are TWO Super Bowl Rematches this week

Colts (2-2) vs Bears (1-1)
Falcons (0-1) vs Broncos (3-5)*

*(in Super Bowl appearances)

Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
NFL Week 5 – Bye Week for Jags, Chiefs, Saints, Seahawks (WHY NOT Colts?)

Cardinals @ 49ers – HOMER pick… but WHO are these guys?

Bears @ Colts – Ponies trot Bears back into hibernation
Eagles @ Lions – Wookie Wentz on a Rookie Roll
Redskins @ Ravens – Hello, Joe – what do you know?
Falcons @ Broncos – Matty meets his Match!
Texans @ VikingsPurple Power bandwagon!
Titans @ Dolphins – Fins WIN the 1-3 Bowl!
Patriots @ Browns – Brady released from NFL incarceration
Jets @ Steelers – Wings clipped in Pittsburgh
Bengals @ Cowboys – Dak handles Dalton gang
Bills @ Rams – Tyrod ramrods the Lambs!
Chargers @ Raiders – Bolts go zzzzzzt! in Oakland

Giants @ Packers“Nobody comes into THIS house… without paying the price!!”
Buccaneers @ Panthers – DARN TOOTIN! We take down Newton!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
I'm off to a dismal start, but loving this season anyway. Besides, by the end of this season most of us on this board will be every bit as good as most of the analysts on ESPN/SI/NFL/ETC...

With that said, my bid to get things in gear in week five follows thusly:

Cardinals @ 49ers: 49ers. The Cardinals season is just not off to the start they envisioned. The 49ers are about where most of us imagined they'd be. The Cardinals are the road team on a short week and they have QB issues. That's about the most compelling argument I can make for my pick.

Patriots @ Browns: Patriots. This game is proof that the football gods hate Cleveland.

Eagles @ Lions: Eagles. An early bye can be a real momentum killer for a team with a new coach, new QB, etc. Resuming play on the road doesn't help. But playing the Lions does.

Bears @ Colts: Colts. Because I have to pick one of these teams.

Titans @ Dolphins: Dolphins. At home on a long period of rest, the Dolphins should be able to get it done against the Titans.

Redskins @ Ravens: Ravens. The Redskins are finally getting it into gear but the Ravens won't be an easy out after losing a close one at home.

Texans @ Vikings: Vikings. The Texans are a bit anemic on offense, despite a $72 million upgrade at QB. Facing off against the Vikings defense can't be good news to them.

Jets @ Steelers: Steelers. The Steelers must be salivating after plastering the Chiefs 43-14 and drawing the suddenly turnover prone Jets next.

Falcons @ Broncos: Broncos. This game is going to be a workout for the Broncos, with that defense squaring off against the league's best offense. The X-factors in this one are the Broncos home field and the Broncos offense going up against a porous Falcons defense.

Bengals @ Cowboys: Bengals. They're getting it into gear and have a boost with some players returning from suspension. Add in a long rest and I think they edge a Cowboys team that is better than many expected they'd be.

Bills @ Rams: Rams. Just when I start believing in each of these teams the league goes and schedules them to play each other.

Chargers @ Raiders: Raiders. I'm still not a believer in their defense but I will give them some credit: they've made just enough plays in two consecutive road wins. The Chargers struggle to close, and that doesn't bode well for a team facing off against the Raiders offense.

Giants @ Packers: Packers. The Packers are without question studying film on OBJ. Not his route running or insanely gifted hands, or physical talent but how to get in his head and make him take himself out of the game. My guess is they find something.

Buccaneers @ Panthers: Panthers. The dreaded Super Bowl hangover has definitely hit the Panthers. For several years the Super Bowl's losing team failed to even reach .500 the subsequent years, but from 2009 through 2015 the team losing the Super Bowl has always returned to the playoffs. And the 2008 Patriots were just the second 11-5 team to miss the playoffs. The Panthers can still get it together but right now it is looking like they're going to snap that run.

I hope everyone enjoys week 5!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 10-04-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
You're right! I check NFL Pick Watch, which corrals picks from various sports outlets so I don't have to check so many places.

We are doing as well as many of those guys. Plus we get our picks in sooner, many of those aren't in until Thursday a.m.!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
We do seem to pick as well or better than the so called "Expert" sportscasters. What is more laughable though, is some of the angles and analysis that they present which is so obviously far from wrong, that it amazes me that some of these guys have jobs. But then again, when a nation pits a presidential election between the two clowns we are seeing this November, not much can surprise me. Which is why I like Football. Not only is it a great American game, but it is a great escape from the negative news, the depressing election coverage and, if I watched the debates, probably more interesting than that too

That being said, football is a competition that we enjoy. We have our favorite teams, our favorite cities, but as Americans we have the privilege of being football fans. We have that luxury of turning on the TV or going out to the stadium, or just listening in the car if we want. That is Fall in the US of A .

SO For this week, from the home office in Florida, in COLOR

CARDINALS
@ 49ers I would think/hope that the Pesky red birds can walk away with a win here. I saw nothing impressive from the 49ers against the Cowboys who have one of the lamest defenses in the league. The Birds have a better defense, so chances are, the home team will lose by a very close margin.

===============================================
A SUPER BOWL REMATCH !
Bears @ COLTS
The home team, by virtue of being a little less awful than the visiting team, will prevail in a close one. Da Bears stink this year. Time to go on back into hibernation, and rest up for 2017.

EAGLES @ Lions I know that the Eagles have to come back down to earth at some point, and I hope the week off did not wear them out, but the Lions are really a bad team and not ones to bring the upset especially after showing their true form against da Bears last week.

Redskins @ RAVENS NEVERMORE ! It is after all, October, time to GOTH it up in our best Purple and black, and why not enjoy the horror of Edgar Allen Himself, which is what the game will seem like to the Indians.....Horror.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE OTHER SUPER BOWL REMATCH !
Falcons @ BRONCOS I would love to be wrong here, as I would love to see the Broncos lose, but then again, I say that about every week don't I ?

Texans @ VIKINGS Yes the PURPLE PEOPLE Eaters are gearing up early for Halloween, and the Texicans are in for an early Halloween bashing.

Titans @ MY FINZ Not only were the uniforms ugly last Thursday, but the playing was as well. I don't know why I am picking them to win, probably because I said they would get 3 wins all season, and this will be the 2nd of three.

PATRIOTS @ Browns Who in all of Footballdom would not love to see a BROWNS victory here to spoil Tom Brady's return ?

Jets @ STEELERS The Jets crashed and cannot seem to get airborn again. Meanwhile, the Steel Curtain has gone up and the players are getting ready to see how many Interceptions Fitz throws at them.

BENGALS @ Cowboys Normally the Bengals wear the uglisest uniforms, but last week they allowed their guests that honor. THis weekm the Cowboys go up agasint a good team, and I think it will be a bad day for Dak and the rookies, while the Bengals are ready to play.

BUFFALOES @ Rams I cannot figure the Rams out. Are they that good, or just Lucky, or what ? If the Buffaloes shut out a powerhouse team like the Patriots one week, then go and lose the next, Ryan should be fired. Both of them.

Chargers @ RAIDERS This is one of those division rivalries where if you say "Go chargers" in Oakland the response is "Your Dead" and then you will get lynched. Then again, if you say "go Chargers" in San Diego, the response would be "Who are the Chargers?"

Giants @ PACKERS The Acme Packers at home really should shut down Eli - Eli - NO!

Buccaneers @ PANTHERS NO, Winston will not have Sims Martin or a defense to help him on the road. Black Cats (Which are not really black in nature, at least in N America, BTW) will have no problem handling the invading Pirates.
This is what they look like

They are Brown, not Black, and For as cute and docile as they look, do not stick your hand in one's mouth, or you might end up playing for the Buccaneers.....

Bye for Chiefs, Jags, Saints, SEAHAWKS The other three can just go ahead and take the rest of the season off if they want to.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
Last week: 9-6
Overall: 34-29

Cardinals @ 49ers
Bears @ Colts
Eagles @ Lions
Redskins @ Ravens
Falcons @ Broncos
Texans @ Vikings
Titans @ Dolphins
Patriots @ Browns
Jets @ Steelers
Bengals @ Cowboys
Bills @ Rams
Chargers @ Raiders
Giants @ Packers
Buccaneers @ Panthers

Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Colts first team not with bye week post London - NFL.com

Seems like a reasonable decision. The game ended about 12:30 pm EDT. It's about 9 hours from London to Indianapolis, so they could have been back home by around 11:00 PM EDT or so - about when they'd be rolling in after a late afternoon game on the west coast, or much earlier than after an away game on Thursday/Sunday/Monday night. The only difference is a few more hours sitting in spacious catered, first class luxury. There might be a little jet lag, though some teams try and stick to their normal clock schedules to mitigate this. Anyway, they get Monday off and they're back to normal for Tuesday film and practice.

They're professionals. It's not like the year is 1950 and they're taking a train all the way to California to play either the Rams or the 49ers, then staying in a hotel all week so they can play the other California team seven days later (look at any NFL team schedule from the 1950s - this is how they did it).

Personally I always think you should get the bye week BEFORE you play the London game. Going forward is harder than going backwards as you mentioned: The game ends around 6 London time which is 1 eastern, let's say you board the flight at Heathrow at 11 PM London time, which is 6 PM Eastern. A 6:30 flight plus or minus to Indianapolis gets them in around 12:30 or 1 AM which isn't that much different than the West Coast. Having the bye before London allows teams to travel over Sunday or even Saturday evening of the previous week (remember you LOSE time going over) so they'd get the full week to get adjusted to the 5 hour forward time.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:43 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,398 times
Cardinals @ 49ers-This looks like a potential upset on paper. Cards are on a short week and will likely be starting their backup QB on the road on Thursday Night Football, BUT my Niners are such a dumpster fire that they will find a way to lose this.

Bears @ Colts-I don't think the London game the Colts played in Week 4 will have any effect on the outcome of this game. I just think the Colts are so awful that they'll lose to DA hapless Bears. I like Da Bears chances of winning more with Brian Hoyer under center than Jay Cutler.

Eagles @ Lions-So far I've picked against Carson Wentz. I'm not picking against the Eagles fresh off a bye week against a pathetic Lions team.

Redskins @ Ravens-Ravens win an ugly squeaker against Kirk Cousins and company in the Battle of Maryland.

Falcons @ Broncos-Broncos D cools down red hot Matty Ice and Julio Jones to stay undefeated.

Texans @ Vikings-I'm sold, Viqueens. You guys are great. You guys have to lose some time, but it won't be this week against the fighting Osweilers.

Titans @ Dolphins -Ho hum! Tannehill throws three touchdowns to torch the terrible Titans.

Patriots @ Browns-An angry Tom Brady takes out 4 suspended games of frustration on the biggest dumpster fire in the league and deflates their egos instead of balls. Browns can take the lead against any team in the league. They just can't seem to hold it and win any games. And winning is really the most important part.

Jets @ Steelers-Steelers are my pick to win the AFC this year. I'm going to keep picking them and I'm going to keep picking against the Jets who I know absolutely nothing about.

Bengals @ Cowboys-This is my easiest pick of the week since I hate the Cowboys. Picking the Bengals in the regular season usually is a good choice.

Bills @ Rams-Ugh! I don't know what to make of either of these teams. The Rams open the season by getting spanked by my dumpster-fire Niners only to rattle off 3 impressive wins in a row (vs Seattle, at Tampa Bay, and at Arizona). Meanwhile, the Bills started out the season looking horrible before beating the Cards and blanking the Pats who I thought were virtually unbeatable. I guess I'll just go with the home team.

Chargers @ Raiders-This should be a shootout. It seems like the kind of game where the Chargers will jump out to a 28-7 lead and lose 35-34 or something like that.

Giants @ Packers-Packers will be well rested coming off a bye week against a Giants team on a short week reeling from being dominated on MNF by Minnesota. This will be close though.

Buccaneers @ Panthers-Cam Newton or possibly Derek Anderson will be the next man to smoke a Winston! Panthers aren't as good as last season, but they're better than they've been playing and should start a winning streak here.

Last edited by maniac77; 10-04-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times
Last week: 7-8
Season: 34-29

Cardinals @ 49ers
Bears @ Colts Just like the Super Bowl
Eagles @ Lions Eagles are hot, Lions are not
Redskins @Ravens
Falcons @ Broncos Big offense against a big defense, should be good
Texans @ Vikings
Titans @ Dolphins
Patriots @ Browns NE would seem to be the obvious pick, but my sources tell me NE is down to its third QB.
And I checked stats and he has not thrown a single completion all year!
Jets @Steelers
Bengals @ Cowboys
Bills @ Rams
Chargers @ Raiders
Giants @ Packers
Buccaneers @ Panthers Hope I'm wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football