U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,465,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Or do casual fans get their fix on social media and decide not to tune into the actual game? Instead of watching a whole game or a half they catch five minutes.

I just heard on NPR yesterday that ratings are down 10% this year. I think it has more to do with the Kaepernick controversy and the election personally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:46 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I just heard on NPR yesterday that ratings are down 10% this year. I think it has more to do with the Kaepernick controversy and the election personally...
I could see that. You've given the casual, on the fence fan a reason to be conflicted and find something else to do by allowing protests "at work" basically.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Quote:
According the NFL these protests are not the reason ratings are down; at least that's what they told teams.

The fact that the NFL was going to fine that Tennessee linebacker for wearing cleats to remember 9/11 is an absolute joke. That was a bad look for the NFL.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:22 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Election would only have negative impact on certain primetime games. The Kaep controversy could draw a way a few but I still think cord cutting is the main problem.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,714,977 times
Want a reason not to watch NFL? Too many commercials. Five or six seconds of play followed by 30 seconds to a minute of commercials. After just about every play. Who has that many hours a week to watch football when they have to go to work and have kids.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Want a reason not to watch NFL? Too many commercials. Five or six seconds of play followed by 30 seconds to a minute of commercials. After just about every play. Who has that many hours a week to watch football when they have to go to work and have kids.
That shouldn't be an excuse and it doesn't make you a true sports fan anyways. It's a Goodell

Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
That shouldn't be an excuse and it doesn't make you a true sports fan anyways. It's a Goodell
if that were true, you if anybody would not tune in

Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical about the National Anthem protests having a tangible effect on NFL ratings. From my perspective it holds little traction outside of gossip media and keyboard commandos on social media. Most of the people on Facebook that complained about it, that I know, don't watch the NFL to begin with. I watch my games at a packed bar and discuss all the action in water cooler talk at work and the National Anthem brouhaha has not been mentioned a single time at either place.

There is however a growing trend of people watching Sunday Ticket or the Red Zone Channel and some who just track scores online or catch an illegal stream because they don't have cable.

People aren't content to watch only a game that networks dictate they watch. I don't care about Dallas or Pittsburgh and I'm tired of both being forced down my throat on national broadcasts. I don't have the cash for Sunday Ticket so I just go to a local watering hole that does, watch my game and then go home. There's always a crowd doing the same thing as myself and it's far from the only bar with a crowd.

We'll see how the ratings trend pans out. I'm thinking there's a perfect storm of events for the NFL broadcast all culminating together that has been building for awhile.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:48 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Fantasy football and it's obliteration of team loyalties is the reason for the ratings decline

Old 10-09-2016, 03:52 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
I think the Redzone channel has a lot to do with it too, but I'm probably one of the few that watches the Redzone that DOESN'T play Fantasy football....I just watch it, so I can watch 7 hours of commercial free football . If I wanted to see stupid commercials, I'd go watch games on the local CBS or FOX affiliate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or