U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 AM

8,794 posts, read 5,682,944 times

Advertisements

I am in Columbia, SC.

I was hoping to find the Eagles and Lions on broadcast TV today. Yet I tune in and get the Steelers and Jets.

How do they select the games to be broadcast? Is it just random draw before the season starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am in Columbia, SC.

I was hoping to find the Eagles and Lions on broadcast TV today. Yet I tune in and get the Steelers and Jets.

How do they select the games to be broadcast? Is it just random draw before the season starts?
Each NFL team has primary and secondary markets which govern telecasts. Columbia is in the primary market of the Panthers. The non-Panthers slots are first filled by national games selected by the networks based on appeal. There's 15+ million people in metropolitan New York and Pittsburgh is one of the better teams in the AFC. That explains PIT @ NYJ on television. Sometimes there is a remaining afternoon slot. Local stations will fill that based on anticipated local appeal. So you might get a Falcons or Titans game in Columbia. Or Broncos/Patriots/Minnesota - teams that are popular over the short and long term (primarily, this is based on winning). Or later in the season, if - for example - Carolina was neck-and-neck with New Orleans for the division title, the Saints game might be televised.

As for the Eagles, if they keep winning they'll be getting more TV time. The Lions? Well, people outside of Michigan who want to watch the Lions are going to be relatively few and far between, for rather understandable reasons.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:58 PM

8,794 posts, read 5,682,944 times
Thanks for the information. I would have thought that the Eagles would trump the Steelers, but I can see that you are right about the Jets being a more desirable watch than the Lions.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,476,625 times
You can check which games are being broadcast locally at : 506sports.com - NFL

Old 10-09-2016, 02:44 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,379,000 times
The NFL and network executives think that everyone wants to watch the Steelers and Cowboys. There's been a lot of discussion in the media about dropping NFL ratings and I wonder if people are getting sick of the same handful of teams being forced down our throats.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:55 PM

28,575 posts, read 15,504,246 times
Quote:
I am in Columbia, SC.

Here's the deal...

You are probably in the Atlanta regional market. Fox is slated to carry one game this week... CBS has the doubleheader.

Your Fox outlet chose to show the late Atlanta/Denver game rather than the Eagles/Lions game. It had nothing to do with Steelers/Jets, which was on CBS.

It is not a random selection. The station wants to chose the game that will get the most interest, because that's what the advertisers want.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:17 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,268,730 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I would have thought that the Eagles would trump the Steelers, but I can see that you are right about the Jets being a more desirable watch than the Lions.
Here's my guess, as a Packers fan. Let's say the Vikings play the Lions on a late doubleheader game and Chris Myers and Ronde Barber called the game and if Joe Buck were assigned to a Giants-Cowboy game in the same time slot. All TV stations within the Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan would usually get those games.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 719,953 times
Quote:
I am in Columbia, SC.

The eagles game was on FOX not CBS. Also you are not in the Eagles/Lions territory so you would not have gotten that game at 1pm. For your area I would think you would have gotten the Redskins at Ravens game on Fox.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
The eagles game was on FOX not CBS. Also you are not in the Eagles/Lions territory so you would not have gotten that game at 1pm. For your area I would think you would have gotten the Redskins at Ravens game on Fox.
No, it's exactly what's stated above. This was a 1 game week for FOX. So, each market had to decide whether to show a 1PM game or a 4PM game. Obviously the market that the OP is in opted to show a 4PM game. So the OP was left with whatever CBS was showing at 1PM.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 AM

28,575 posts, read 15,504,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
They are closer to Atlanta - therefore their FOX outlet chose the Atlanta/Denver game as the FOX single game of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or