U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2016, 11:39 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,891,087 times
Reputation: 2785

Advertisements

It's too early to make an accurate, or even a legitimate comparison. Let's talk after the season is over. Who knows - maybe the Cowboys will actually do something they haven't done in 21 seasons; make it to the NFC title game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2016, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,221 posts, read 2,852,502 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Honestly, I'm thinking the comparisons are more because people are hyping the idea that Prescott is going to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl like Brady did when he took over for Bledsoe. Five games into the season, people are already comparing him to a future Hall of Famer. That's a bit ridiculous. This type of thread needs to be presented about six years down the road after we've seen if Dak is the next Tom Brady or not. Five games into the season, I'd say there's no comparison at all.
I disagree, only because comparisons to great teams/great players happen all the time at all stages. That's sports. How often do we hear college stars being projected as the next "_____"? Draft scouts touted Andrew Luck as the next every great QB; I think it's safe to say, that through 4.25 seasons, he has never even been a Top 5 quarterback. That didn't stop people from projecting him as the next Manning, Marino, whoever. Matter of fact,in-season in his rookie campaign all we heard was was about how great he would be...

Why should this be situation be spoken about differently?

Remember, Tom Brady wasn't "Tom Brady" in 2001, either. Certainly, if nothing else, we can compare and project '01 Brady to '16 Dak...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 02:17 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 26,441,243 times
Reputation: 19172
it is a fun thing to have a quarterback controversy isnt it? comparing the brady/bledsoe situation to the prescott.romo situation seems on the surface to be a legitimate comparison. but in reality it isnt. bledsoe and romo both have had different levels of support around them, and it is the rest of the team that makes the difference here.

romo usually had plenty of offensive support, its the defense that usually let the team down on a regular basis.

bledsoe on the other hand never really seemed to have enough support around him offensively, and he had a defense that let him down regularly.

brady got that support after a couple of years, but still had to develop as a QB.

prescott has that support now, but still has to develop as a QB.

once again though the cowboys defense is suspect, the patriots defense at the time wasnt.

in the end however, to make these comparisons at this time is rather useless. lets talk again in a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 02:59 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
OK, so we're crazy if we don't see the similarities. So, what, exactly, are the similarities?
Off the top of my head:

Both Dak and Brady were late round picks not expected to do much.

Both Dak and Brady filled in for established veteran QBs who were considered franchise QBs at the time.

Both Dak and Brady were given extended playing time becomes of injuries that kept the starters out 6+ weeks.

Both Dak and Brady hold the #1 and #2 spots for most pass attempts to start a career without throwing a pick.

Kaepernick and Smith were brought up but I don't believe those two meet any of the similarities that I just mentioned. Kaepernick was also a run first type QB who played with a defense at the time that was far better than either Brady or Dak's. Dak has shown an ability to actually be a reliable pocket passer and not a run first QB.

There are areas where the two situations differ and I already mentioned some of them, but I don't believe it is correct to say that the situations are not similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Honestly, I'm thinking the comparisons are more because people are hyping the idea that Prescott is going to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl like Brady did when he took over for Bledsoe. Five games into the season, people are already comparing him to a future Hall of Famer. That's a bit ridiculous. This type of thread needs to be presented about six years down the road after we've seen if Dak is the next Tom Brady or not. Five games into the season, I'd say there's no comparison at all.
Nobody is comparing Dak to HOF Brady. Remember, Brady was not HOF Brady in his first super bowl winning season. That is the Brady that Dak is being compared to. Among other things, I doubt the Cowboys have a good enough defense to win a super bowl this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 08:48 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 991,046 times
Reputation: 3003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Jessica.
Yeah.. and for me, specifically, Daisy Duke Jessica

Prescott will not be the next Brady.. We've been thru this for 30 years now. The mobile quarterbacks supposably taking over the game.. Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Kordell Stewart, RG3, Manziel.. all these guys were going to displace & replace the Manning Brothers, Brady, and all the other pocket passers.. it's a tired, bogus mantra.

Put Prescott behind an average O-line, & I believe he'd look like an average rookie.. but I concede, only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 09:53 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah.. and for me, specifically, Daisy Duke Jessica

Prescott will not be the next Brady.. We've been thru this for 30 years now. The mobile quarterbacks supposably taking over the game.. Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Kordell Stewart, RG3, Manziel.. all these guys were going to displace & replace the Manning Brothers, Brady, and all the other pocket passers.. it's a tired, bogus mantra.

Put Prescott behind an average O-line, & I believe he'd look like an average rookie.. but I concede, only time will tell.
You do realize Dak averages a mere 4 rushes a game for 15 yards right? I wohldn't put him in the mobile QB class of QBs.

Aaron Rodgers has averaged more rushes for more yards this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Nobody is comparing Dak to HOF Brady. Remember, Brady was not HOF Brady in his first super bowl winning season. That is the Brady that Dak is being compared to. Among other things, I doubt the Cowboys have a good enough defense to win a super bowl this season.
So now, Tom Brady is two people? Sorry, I don't buy the justification. If people are comparing Romo/Prescott to Bledsoe/Brady, then you're making the commitment that you are comparing Prescott to Brady in every way, shape, and form. Your saying that Dak Prescott is also going to lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win, much like Brady did for the Patriots in his first year starting. Right now it's nothing but the hype machine hitting on all cylinders. It's way too early in the season to even start the comparisons. The Cowboys might take a turn for the worse. They might lose 8 of their next 11 games. Prescott might get hurt. He might get exposed as the 4th round rookie he is. There's only one reason why people would be comparing this situation to Bledsoe/Brady and, it's because they believe Prescott is elite and will take the team all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So now, Tom Brady is two people? Sorry, I don't buy the justification. If people are comparing Romo/Prescott to Bledsoe/Brady, then you're making the commitment that you are comparing Prescott to Brady in every way, shape, and form. Your saying that Dak Prescott is also going to lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win, much like Brady did for the Patriots in his first year starting. Right now it's nothing but the hype machine hitting on all cylinders. It's way too early in the season to even start the comparisons. The Cowboys might take a turn for the worse. They might lose 8 of their next 11 games. Prescott might get hurt. He might get exposed as the 4th round rookie he is. There's only one reason why people would be comparing this situation to Bledsoe/Brady and, it's because they believe Prescott is elite and will take the team all the way.
Fact.

Brady was not ever considered an elite QB his first season starting.

With that being the case, how does the comparison then mean that Dak is also being considered elite this year?

The situations are simply similar because of the completely factual examples that I gave. None of them having to do with either Dak or Brady being at the elite level.

A QB can lead a team to the playoffs or even super bowl and not be considered elite. We've seen it time and time again.

You are the only one in this thread throwing around the Dak being elite argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 991,046 times
Reputation: 3003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
You do realize Dak averages a mere 4 rushes a game for 15 yards right? I wohldn't put him in the mobile QB class of QBs..
Bill,
You may not view him as a mobile QB, but I'm sure pro teams did when they were profiling Prescott.
Your evaluation is based on a few weeks in the NFL; Scouts were looking at Prescott's multiple college seasons where he was frequently running. One season, Prescott had close to 1000 rushing yards as a QB, and finished his college career with over 40 rushing TDs.

Prescott can sling.. but he has a mobile, 'dual threat' profile,.. in the pros, these QBs often get beat up quick.. which is why I have little confidence they can collect the championships that Brady & the Manning Brothers have. peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top