U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 PM
 
4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Reputation: 11808

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nope. Still too early. Until Dak wins a Super Bowl, no sense in comparing to Tom Brady.
Exactly...

Outside of a low round draft pick replacing a franchise QB due to injury what exactly is "the comparison"

Right now thats the ONLY think Dak has in common with Brady.....if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl this year with Dak at QB the comparison can be made....until then...not so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 PM
 
32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
while tre cowboys could have been 6-0 right now, and prescott is a huge part of that, it is still too early to make comparisons to anyone, except perhaps other rookie QBs this season. lets wait a couple of seasons before comparisons are made to other veteran QBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 PM
 
37 posts, read 14,587 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nope. Still too early. Until Dak wins a Super Bowl, no sense in comparing to Tom Brady.
Why do people continually use the idiotic argument of "duhhhhhh, how many rings does he have"?

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Doug Williams won SB rings. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and Dan Fouts did not. You want to argue the first 3 guys were better than the 2nd 3? Of course not, that is why the ring argument is idiotic. Comparing Dak to Brady is almost as idiotic. Wait 15 years and then compare, not 6 games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 08:24 PM
 
4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Reputation: 2350
By your guys same argument, the only QBs that can be compared to each other as all time greats are Bradshaw, Montana and Brady.

Again, it's not about how does Dak stack up against a future HOFers career. It's about one season. And saying that that seeing is only comparable if Dak wins a ring seems a little short sighted to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4497
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nope. Still too early. Until Dak wins a Super Bowl, no sense in comparing to Tom Brady.
You are really adamant about this and hardlining it and I can't figure out why, unless it's driven by your hatred of anything Cowboys. Hey, I'm a Redskins fan too, but your level of disdain for appreciating Dak and comparing him to other greats when they were around the same age and/or experience as Dak is a bit perplexing...

He may not be Brady, nobody expects the Cowboys to win it all---but then, nobody expected the '01 Patriots to win it all. *similarity* Also, he's having the same type of impact on his team as Tom had on the Pats back then. *similarity*...

Dak is doing his thing. For the last time, to reiterate, nobody is comparing Dak to '16 Brady, '14 Brady, or even '04 Brady. The comparison base is strictly Brady's first year as a starter, which was his Year 2, but also circumstantially similar to Dak's Year 1 because Year 2 Brady had three career passes and also came in in injury relief and week-by-week earned his organization's trust and respect for his capability as the starter...

Is Dak not in the midst of currently doing the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
 
32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
suppose prescott gets injured in his next game, and is out because it is a career ender. do we just compare dak to brady or anyone else with just 6 games experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM
 
4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
suppose prescott gets injured in his next game, and is out because it is a career ender. do we just compare dak to brady or anyone else with just 6 games experience?
I don't see what your point is here. Any player can have an injury at anytime. Does that mean we shouldn't compare players??? To answer your question though, yes it would change things quite a bit but I don't see how that is relevant.

And career ending? That would basically have to be a neck injury. ACL? Rest of the season. Not career ending, but it would end the discussion of Dak vs. Brady. But again, why throw away the entire discussion on something that is not all that likely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 05:55 PM
 
4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Reputation: 11808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don't see what your point is here. Any player can have an injury at anytime. Does that mean we shouldn't compare players??? To answer your question though, yes it would change things quite a bit but I don't see how that is relevant.

And career ending? That would basically have to be a neck injury. ACL? Rest of the season. Not career ending, but it would end the discussion of Dak vs. Brady. But again, why throw away the entire discussion on something that is not all that likely to happen.
I'm coming around to your line of thinking on this argument especially after that game against the Packers last night

When you look at the circumstances, unheralded low round draft pick taking over for the franchise QB due to injury and then performing so well that it becomes hard to imagine the previous starter/face of the franchise coming back...

I've been watching Pro football for over 40 years and I can't remember another time it happened other than Brady and now Dak...maybe Majkowski and Favre? except I think it was clear that Majkowski was already on the way out and while Favre was a surprise star, Majik man outside of one great season didn't have the career before that Romo and Bledsoe had...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM
 
4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Reputation: 2350
Favre was also highly regarded already I believe. Second round pick originally by Atlanta I believe and not sure but green bay then traded a second or even first to get him I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,754 posts, read 4,226,868 times
Reputation: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You are really adamant about this and hardlining it and I can't figure out why, unless it's driven by your hatred of anything Cowboys. Hey, I'm a Redskins fan too, but your level of disdain for appreciating Dak and comparing him to other greats when they were around the same age and/or experience as Dak is a bit perplexing...

He may not be Brady, nobody expects the Cowboys to win it all---but then, nobody expected the '01 Patriots to win it all. *similarity* Also, he's having the same type of impact on his team as Tom had on the Pats back then. *similarity*...

Dak is doing his thing. For the last time, to reiterate, nobody is comparing Dak to '16 Brady, '14 Brady, or even '04 Brady. The comparison base is strictly Brady's first year as a starter, which was his Year 2, but also circumstantially similar to Dak's Year 1 because Year 2 Brady had three career passes and also came in in injury relief and week-by-week earned his organization's trust and respect for his capability as the starter...

Is Dak not in the midst of currently doing the same thing?

I've watched enough football to know better. You can't make these comparisons when you're not even half way through the season. I don't see what's so hard lining about waiting until the season is over to make a proper judgment. Why is it so important to you that Prescott is compared to Tom Brady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top