U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Race View Post
Why do people continually use the idiotic argument of "duhhhhhh, how many rings does he have"?
Nobody has used that argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Race View Post
Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Doug Williams won SB rings. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and Dan Fouts did not. You want to argue the first 3 guys were better than the 2nd 3? Of course not, that is why the ring argument is idiotic. Comparing Dak to Brady is almost as idiotic. Wait 15 years and then compare, not 6 games
Idiotic statement. Again, you guys are saying, "We're not comparing the Tom Brady that is the Hall of Famer, we're comparing Dak to the Tom Brady that was in his first year starting", as if it was a different guy. And by you brining up Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and Dan Fouts, you're comparing Dak Prescott to hall of fame quarterbacks. For Pete's sake, people, we're six games into a 16 game season. This is the ultimate knee jerk. Things can be very different by the end of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nobody has used that argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
.....if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl this year with Dak at QB the comparison can be made....until then...not so much....
Actually, bluedevilz did originally go down that road before turning opinion some.

If Dallas, starts to lose some games and goes 10-6 and gets bounced in the first playoff game, yeah it won't be exactly like Brady's first season, but it also won't be something to be ashamed of and it will still be comparable in many aspects. It's not Super Bowl or bust IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Actually, bluedevilz did originally go down that road before turning opinion some.

If Dallas, starts to lose some games and goes 10-6 and gets bounced in the first playoff game, yeah it won't be exactly like Brady's first season, but it also won't be something to be ashamed of and it will still be comparable in many aspects. It's not Super Bowl or bust IMO.
Which is why I believe it's best to wait and see how the season turns out before comparing Dak's first season to Brady's. I get that you guys are Cowboys fans and you're going to view your team and players through the most favorable lens. The Cowboys are on a hot streak right now. And Dak most certainly impressed me leading the 'boys to a win over the Packers. But, having said that, things can turn on a dime in the NFL. I've seen teams with similar records end the season at 8-8. I've seen teams look unstoppable halfway through the season, and fall apart toward the end. It's a long, long season. Look, if you want to compare the two situations, if that makes you feel better, by all means, I'm not stopping ya. But, don't expect every one to jump on the bandwagon. And don't fault them for not looking at Dak Prescott in the same light as Tom Brady. I think Dak is having a great season and I think he'll continue to have a great season, but in my opinion, the only reason why anyone would compare his first season to Brady's is simply because one thinks Dak will also lead his team to a Super Bowl. And at that point, I would most certainly agree the two situations are just alike. But until then, I'm going to sit back and see how it all unfolds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,140,458 times
Reputation: 5400
Quote:
Compare and Discuss: Prescott/Romo vs. Brady/Bledsoe
It's 2016!

If we're supposed to compare Prescott & Romo to Brady & Bledsoe, I'd have to pick Brady & Bledsoe -- overall body of work, including Superbowls. No comparison, really.

If we are to compare Prescott to Romo, it would be an unfair comparison until Prescott has more body of work. Romo has far more experience and body of work. Currently, Prescott has been very impressive (so far) this season, however Romo has been on IR. That's as far as I can go.

If we are to compare Brady & Bledsoe... again, NO comparison.

I'm over-simplifying, of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,222 posts, read 2,852,502 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Which is why I believe it's best to wait and see how the season turns out before comparing Dak's first season to Brady's. I get that you guys are Cowboys fans and you're going to view your team and players through the most favorable lens. The Cowboys are on a hot streak right now. And Dak most certainly impressed me leading the 'boys to a win over the Packers. But, having said that, things can turn on a dime in the NFL. I've seen teams with similar records end the season at 8-8. I've seen teams look unstoppable halfway through the season, and fall apart toward the end. It's a long, long season. Look, if you want to compare the two situations, if that makes you feel better, by all means, I'm not stopping ya. But, don't expect every one to jump on the bandwagon. And don't fault them for not looking at Dak Prescott in the same light as Tom Brady. I think Dak is having a great season and I think he'll continue to have a great season, but in my opinion, the only reason why anyone would compare his first season to Brady's is simply because one thinks Dak will also lead his team to a Super Bowl. And at that point, I would most certainly agree the two situations are just alike. But until then, I'm going to sit back and see how it all unfolds.
This confirms you're just speaking as an angry Cowboy hater:

•neither Bill nor I are Cowboys fans...
•nobody in here has said that we believe the Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl, much less winning it. Thus, your "opinion" that someone who sees the two situations as comparable must also think the Cowboys are winning it all, has been proven false. That particular opinion isn't worth anything here, and is thoroughly refuted...

For the record, I think the Seahawks, Falcons, and Vikings are all better than Dallas, in that order. I do not even see Dallas reaching the NFC Championship Game. Does not mean that I shouldn't be able to compare '01 Brady to '16 Prescott...

You're going really hard against this comparison as if it has to be Super Bowl or bust. Newsflash, I am aware that '01 Brady and '14 were the same "guy"---but they weren't the same caliber of player. Is that such a hard concept to fathom?

Everybody knows that the season could completely flip, teams who look hot right now can go winless from here on. It happens every year. We know this. And yet and still, as long as there has been sports, there has been sports talk and forecasting and predictions and comparisons and everything else, most of which are proven false, but that's part of the allure of sports...

Dak Prescott is comparable to Tom Brady in at least the unflappable demeanor he has shown in taking over a team for an accomplished quarterback, in a huge market, and quite literally the biggest football brand in the NFL. His poise, his demeanor, his ability to stay within the game plan and move on from mistakes, his knack for not letting his mistakes snowball like a 'normal' rookie, his leadership and ability to gain the admiration and trust of veteran teammates--all of that is reminiscent of young Brady...

Will he win it all? Will he even get there? Who knows, but the basis of comparison isn't solely based on him winning it all. So you can breathe easy and let go some of that steam that has you wildly saying that there is "no" comparisin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This confirms you're just speaking as an angry Cowboy hater:

•neither Bill nor I are Cowboys fans....
I know you're not. In which I find puzzling that you're challenging me on this. You obviously don't have the mentality to just agree to disagree, you have to challenge people and call them names. I can have my own opinion. Don't like it? Don't care.


Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
•nobody in here has said that we believe the Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl, much less winning it. Thus, your "opinion" that someone who sees the two situations as comparable must also think the Cowboys are winning it all, has been proven false. That particular opinion isn't worth anything here, and is thoroughly refuted...
If you truly believe that there is a comparison of Dak Prescott to Tom Brady, then you believe that Dak has the capability of taking the Cowboys all the way, much like Brady did with the Patriots in his first year. Nobody has proven anything yet, because the season isn't even half way over with. As the season approaches the finish line and Dak continues on the trajectory heading upward, then yeah, I'll say, "You know what, this kid might wind up being a Tom Brady for the Cowboys." I just think it's foolish to call it now. Just my opinion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
For the record, I think the Seahawks, Falcons, and Vikings are all better than Dallas, in that order. I do not even see Dallas reaching the NFC Championship Game. Does not mean that I shouldn't be able to compare '01 Brady to '16 Prescott...
I don't care.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're going really hard against this comparison as if it has to be Super Bowl or bust. Newsflash, I am aware that '01 Brady and '14 were the same "guy"---but they weren't the same caliber of player. Is that such a hard concept to fathom?

You're really going hard against someone who has a difference of opinion as if the world will end if I don't act like a sheep like you. I don't agree with you. Deal with it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Everybody knows that the season could completely flip, teams who look hot right now can go winless from here on. It happens every year. We know this. And yet and still, as long as there has been sports, there has been sports talk and forecasting and predictions and comparisons and everything else, most of which are proven false, but that's part of the allure of sports...

And yet, I say that I AM going to wait until the season is over to to make a proper judgement. IN MY OPINION, I think it's way too early to compare Prescott to Brady. That's my opinion. You're welcome to disagree. There's people here who agree with me. There's people who disagree. That's life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Dak Prescott is comparable to Tom Brady in at least the unflappable demeanor he has shown in taking over a team for an accomplished quarterback, in a huge market, and quite literally the biggest football brand in the NFL. His poise, his demeanor, his ability to stay within the game plan and move on from mistakes, his knack for not letting his mistakes snowball like a 'normal' rookie, his leadership and ability to gain the admiration and trust of veteran teammates--all of that is reminiscent of young Brady...
If that's your opinion, then stick with it. I think Dak's done a great job. I think he has to continue to do that job for 10 more games, make the playoffs, and at least make a strong running in the playoffs for me to say his situation is just like it was with Brady in Tom's first year starting. That's what I believe and I think I have a good argument. Maybe you feel you have a good argument. You know what, I disagree with you. That's fine. But don't get all high and mighty and throwing your attitude around.


Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Will he win it all? Will he even get there? Who knows, but the basis of comparison isn't solely based on him winning it all. So you can breathe easy and let go some of that steam that has you wildly saying that there is "no" comparisin...
I'm thinking you're a heck of a lot more wind up about this than I am. Maybe you need to take your own advice and let go of some of that hot air you're breathing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Race View Post
You did say that....Here is your statement "Nope. Still too early. Until Dak wins a Super Bowl, no sense in comparing to Tom Brady"....So you brought the SB ring argument into the discussion. That argument is immediately dismissed when you try to compare a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson to a Dan Marino. So rings don't have a bearing on how good a QB you are. Can it add to a legacy, absolutely, but it is not the end all be all as far as a QB goes
Yep, I absolutely said the statement in bold above. And I absolutely back that statement up, too. I see people comparing the two situations as if to say Dak is also going to replicate what Tom Brady did. People on the other side of the argument argue that they're not comparing that, they're comparing two late round quarterbacks who are rookie sensations. Well, Dak is not a late round quarterback - he's a mid round back. It is not uncommon to find a franchise quarterback in the mid rounds. Joe Montana was a fourth rounder. It is, however, much less likely to find a franchise quarterback in the six round, especially one that turns out to have a Hall of Fame career like Brady has. As much as I hate him, I think anytime people want to compare a rookie quarterback to anything Brady has done in his career, that's a big "HOLD ON" moment. That's my personal opinion. Don't like it? I don't care.

By the way, never at any moment did I ever mention Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. You brought that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Race View Post
I would NEVER compare Dak Prescott to a Marino, Kelly or Fouts at this point. Once Dak finishes his career, THEN you can have that discussion if it applies, not after 6 games
So why would you compare him to Brady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Which is why I believe it's best to wait and see how the season turns out before comparing Dak's first season to Brady's. I get that you guys are Cowboys fans and you're going to view your team and players through the most favorable lens. The Cowboys are on a hot streak right now. And Dak most certainly impressed me leading the 'boys to a win over the Packers. But, having said that, things can turn on a dime in the NFL. I've seen teams with similar records end the season at 8-8. I've seen teams look unstoppable halfway through the season, and fall apart toward the end. It's a long, long season. Look, if you want to compare the two situations, if that makes you feel better, by all means, I'm not stopping ya. But, don't expect every one to jump on the bandwagon. And don't fault them for not looking at Dak Prescott in the same light as Tom Brady. I think Dak is having a great season and I think he'll continue to have a great season, but in my opinion, the only reason why anyone would compare his first season to Brady's is simply because one thinks Dak will also lead his team to a Super Bowl. And at that point, I would most certainly agree the two situations are just alike. But until then, I'm going to sit back and see how it all unfolds.
LOL. Cowboys fans!?

I think I've been around enough you should know I'm no Cowboys fan.

As for the actual Cowboys team. No, I don't think they are on the level of Minnesota, New England or even Denver on days when they get good QB play. Truth is they ARE NOT much better if at all any better than your Skins. But I also don't think the 2001 Patriots were an unstoppable force or all time great team despite the fact that they won the Super Bowl that year. You don't get an amazingly awesome team winning the super bowl every year. I don't want to go too far down that discussion because then it would seem I am trying to down play their Super Bowl win which is NOT what I am trying to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
LOL. Cowboys fans!?

I think I've been around enough you should know I'm no Cowboys fan.

As for the actual Cowboys team. No, I don't think they are on the level of Minnesota, New England or even Denver on days when they get good QB play. Truth is they ARE NOT much better if at all any better than your Skins. But I also don't think the 2001 Patriots were an unstoppable force or all time great team despite the fact that they won the Super Bowl that year. You don't get an amazingly awesome team winning the super bowl every year. I don't want to go too far down that discussion because then it would seem I am trying to down play their Super Bowl win which is NOT what I am trying to do.
I hear ya, and I understand what you're saying. By February, I might wholeheartedly agree with you on Dak Prescott. Heck, maybe by January. But six games into the season? It's kind of like the argument that people were having against Kirk Cousins (and even some of us Redskins fans agreed as well), that half a season of great football is not enough to crown somebody a franchise quarterback. Heck, even one season may not be enough. Which is why Cousins was not granted a multi-year contract. Just like how electrifying Robert Griffin III was in his rookie season, and how he was exposed after that. Or, after how Colin Kaepernick was electrifying in his first year starting, and how he has regressed since then.

My point of view is simply that years from now, if Dak fizzles out after a couple years, will it really make sense to compare his first year to Tom Brady's? Wouldn't it wind up being like most other young quarterbacks who start off great and fizzle out? Wouldn't he wind up looking more like Jay Schroeder taking over for Joe Theismann than Tom Brady? Jay was hot right away when he took over for Theismann, and had a great year the following year, lead the 'skins to an NFC Championship appearance, only to fizzle out after that.

The reasoning that you guys are using is that Tom Brady in his first year was nowhere near the level he has been playing at the last few years. but you also talk about how that Patriots team wasn't an amazingly awesome team that year. I agree with that. But doesn't that support how amazing Tom Brady was from the start? Taking an average team to the Super Bowl, being calm and cool in that 2-minute offense, as he drove the Patriots into field goal range as swiftly as Joe Montana drove the 49ers down the field for the game winning TD against the Bengals in that '88 Super Bowl. The difference is, with this Dallas team, they have talent on offense. They've had talent for a few years. They greatly upgraded their backfield this year, and their offensive line has been solid in pass protection and opening huge running lanes for Zeke. I would dare say this Dallas team is a lot more talented on offense than that Patriots team was back in Brady's first year. The difference might be with the defense. But having that offense on the field for long drives makes a weak defense that much more stronger.

Look, I think the reason why I disagree is that I'm looking at this from a perspective of viewing this a few years from now. What will this look like in a few years from now? Dak Prescott might be the next best quarterback to ever grace the field. Or, he might just wind up another guy who started off hot but got exposed down the line. You guys are living in the moment and ready to compare the situations after six games. Which, again, you're most definitely free to do so. But, I personally believe that's playing into the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,866,783 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I hear ya, and I understand what you're saying. By February, I might wholeheartedly agree with you on Dak Prescott. Heck, maybe by January. But six games into the season? It's kind of like the argument that people were having against Kirk Cousins (and even some of us Redskins fans agreed as well), that half a season of great football is not enough to crown somebody a franchise quarterback. Heck, even one season may not be enough. Which is why Cousins was not granted a multi-year contract. Just like how electrifying Robert Griffin III was in his rookie season, and how he was exposed after that. Or, after how Colin Kaepernick was electrifying in his first year starting, and how he has regressed since then.
I hear you there as well. Bills learned a lesson in 2011 when they gave Fitz a new deal six weeks into the season after his hot start that year.

Something just seems different with Dak though. It is hard to see him at this point, really fail for an extended period of time. We know he eventually will have another bad game, but his game right now is not the type that is taking a lot of risky plays or lighting up the scoreboard. It's very efficient and safe football. But it is effective. That kind of game has a greater chance of lasting IMO.

Question is, when he does fail, is it going to be two games in a row or 3 out of 4 games? Or will it be done and quickly forgotten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top