U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Reputation: 3829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I hear you there as well. Bills learned a lesson in 2011 when they gave Fitz a new deal six weeks into the season after his hot start that year.

Something just seems different with Dak though. It is hard to see him at this point, really fail for an extended period of time. We know he eventually will have another bad game, but his game right now is not the type that is taking a lot of risky plays or lighting up the scoreboard. It's very efficient and safe football. But it is effective. That kind of game has a greater chance of lasting IMO.

Question is, when he does fail, is it going to be two games in a row or 3 out of 4 games? Or will it be done and quickly forgotten?
The thing that Dak has going for him is that his offensive line is protecting him very nicely. They have also been opening huge holes for Zeke and Morris. That running game takes a lot of pressure off of Prescott. Now, Dak has delivered with being on target, but he's not having to take shots down the field as much as managing the offense and throwing little five yarders here and there. It's definitely a modified, simplified offense to give Dak the best chance to succeed.

If teams can figure out how to shut down the running game, then they'll start looking at taking away those short, chain moving, passes from Prescott. You put pressure on him to start throwing deep, that's when you got him. Not as easy as it sounds, obviously. Zeke and Alfred have had a fantastic year so far, and nobody has been able to slow those guys down, especially Elliott. So as long as the running game is hitting on all cylinders, then Dak can sit back and throw quick hitch passes and slants to his tight ends and slot receivers all day long. Also helps when you have a future Hall of Fame tight end in Jason Witten to throw to as well.

Dak has some nice weapons on that team, and they have been consistent. They have also protected the football, which is a major plus. Honestly, this Dallas team reminds me more of what the Cowboys had in the 90's with Aikman, Emmett, and Irvin, than the situation with Brady in New England. Their offense is solid and their defense is playing well too. I see that New England team in Brady's first year and I see a team that won that Super Bowl because of Tom Brady and pretty stout defense. I'm looking at this Dallas team and seeing that if they keep playing like this, if they win the Super Bowl, it's going to be because they have a complete offense with Prescott, Elliott, Morris, Witten, Bryant, and Beasley. And that they have improved enough on defense to keep other teams in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 AM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Reputation: 19111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Question is, when he does fail, is it going to be two games in a row or 3 out of 4 games? Or will it be done and quickly forgotten?
i think you hit the nail on the head here. we all know that at some point prescott will have a bad game where nothing seems to go right. running backs fumble, receivers drop easy passes, defenses step up and take away running lanes and are able to put serious pressure on prescott. and maybe its the philly game where philly is motivated against a division rival, and they dont want the cowboys to get a two game lead over the rest of the division.

how he responds to a bad game will be telling. if he goes into a slump for two or three games, i think you hear calls for him to be benched. if he blows it off and out performs in teh nexr game however, i think romos days are numbered as a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The thing that Dak has going for him is that his offensive line is protecting him very nicely. They have also been opening huge holes for Zeke and Morris. That running game takes a lot of pressure off of Prescott. Now, Dak has delivered with being on target, but he's not having to take shots down the field as much as managing the offense and throwing little five yarders here and there. It's definitely a modified, simplified offense to give Dak the best chance to succeed.

If teams can figure out how to shut down the running game, then they'll start looking at taking away those short, chain moving, passes from Prescott. You put pressure on him to start throwing deep, that's when you got him. Not as easy as it sounds, obviously. Zeke and Alfred have had a fantastic year so far, and nobody has been able to slow those guys down, especially Elliott. So as long as the running game is hitting on all cylinders, then Dak can sit back and throw quick hitch passes and slants to his tight ends and slot receivers all day long. Also helps when you have a future Hall of Fame tight end in Jason Witten to throw to as well.

Dak has some nice weapons on that team, and they have been consistent. They have also protected the football, which is a major plus. Honestly, this Dallas team reminds me more of what the Cowboys had in the 90's with Aikman, Emmett, and Irvin, than the situation with Brady in New England. Their offense is solid and their defense is playing well too. I see that New England team in Brady's first year and I see a team that won that Super Bowl because of Tom Brady and pretty stout defense. I'm looking at this Dallas team and seeing that if they keep playing like this, if they win the Super Bowl, it's going to be because they have a complete offense with Prescott, Elliott, Morris, Witten, Bryant, and Beasley. And that they have improved enough on defense to keep other teams in check.
i agree that the key to the dallas offense is the running game. but how do you shut it down? take out elliot for instance, and morris goes in. just as strong a running back. take him down, and you get lance dunbar. not the running back that elliot and morris are, but he can also get out in the pattern and catch passes, and he can still punch through the line if needed.

the key though is in fact prescott. it has been a while since dallas has had a QB that can sit in the pocket and throw, scramble when needed, and take off and run for the first down.

as for the defense, they have improved over the last season. sean lee is healthy and getting back to playing at his usual high level, the corner backs have improved their game as well, especially since they were swapped side for side. the defense is also getting much more consistent late in the games since the offense is controlling the ball much better than in the past.

the first six games, though impressive, are not the bell weather, its the next six games that will tell where the cowboys go. i think if they go 5-1 or even 4-2 over the next six games, they likely win the division, or at least solidify a wildcard spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think you hit the nail on the head here. we all know that at some point prescott will have a bad game where nothing seems to go right. running backs fumble, receivers drop easy passes, defenses step up and take away running lanes and are able to put serious pressure on prescott. and maybe its the philly game where philly is motivated against a division rival, and they dont want the cowboys to get a two game lead over the rest of the division.

how he responds to a bad game will be telling. if he goes into a slump for two or three games, i think you hear calls for him to be benched. if he blows it off and out performs in teh nexr game however, i think romos days are numbered as a starter.



i agree that the key to the dallas offense is the running game. but how do you shut it down? take out elliot for instance, and morris goes in. just as strong a running back. take him down, and you get lance dunbar. not the running back that elliot and morris are, but he can also get out in the pattern and catch passes, and he can still punch through the line if needed.

the key though is in fact prescott. it has been a while since dallas has had a QB that can sit in the pocket and throw, scramble when needed, and take off and run for the first down.

as for the defense, they have improved over the last season. sean lee is healthy and getting back to playing at his usual high level, the corner backs have improved their game as well, especially since they were swapped side for side. the defense is also getting much more consistent late in the games since the offense is controlling the ball much better than in the past.

the first six games, though impressive, are not the bell weather, its the next six games that will tell where the cowboys go. i think if they go 5-1 or even 4-2 over the next six games, they likely win the division, or at least solidify a wildcard spot.
Yeah, running back by committee is the thing that's making the running game big for teams. The Redskins are doing the same thing. They have Matt Jones who is the featured back, but then Rob Kelly is brought in. Kelly is big like Jones, but much faster. Then you have Thompson who's the speedy third down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. When you have three backs who can all make some moves and get a first down for you, it's very hard to stop all three. That's why I say, it's much easier said than done. Throw in a quarterback that can move around in the pocket and buy time until an underneath receiver comes open and that makes it even more challenging.

I think I would almost put a linebacker on Prescott as a spy, blitz from the edges and see if that slows things down. There's something with Prescott that will eventually give away his tendencies, and it's just about studying him and keeping a spy on him. I remember back when Donovan McNabb played with the Eagles, he was similar in that he could run, pass, and buy time until receivers came open, much like what Prescott is doing. He had Bryan Westbrook who was like a Swiss Army knife. Westbrook was always a threat out of the backfield and would even line up at wide out. I remember the best way the 'skins were able to shut McNabb down was to keep a spy on him that followed his every move. It wound up working. The Eagles owned the 'skins for a number of years early on in McNabbs career until the 'skins started figuring out how his tendencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 PM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Reputation: 19111
the only problem i see with using a linebacker to spy on presott is the fact that dallas has so many weapons they can use. usually the linebacker they use to spy is either a middle or inside linebacker, and that takes someone away from covering either a slot receiver, a tight end, or a running back coming out of the back field. and that leaves the middle open for slant patterns or for someone like witten, who has various pattern options in the middle, to have a big game.

back when mcnabb was playing, the redskins had quite the defense, and mcnabb was down on weapons as i recall. dallas is also using the fly sweep from time to time, so again taking someone from the middle to watch the QB will hurt the defense, likely at the wrong time.

but its not a bad thing to do, if you have the defense capable of doing it, or if the offense you are facing is a bit weak in places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Reputation: 4502
Mort & Schefter's Week 7 notebook NFL 2016 - Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen Week 7 notebook - Drew Bledsoe weighs in on Tony Romo vs. Dak Prescott
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Bledsoe himself says the two situations are "very similar". This article says everything I was trying to say--nothing more, nothing less. Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts well...

Last edited by murksiderock; 10-21-2016 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only problem i see with using a linebacker to spy on presott is the fact that dallas has so many weapons they can use. usually the linebacker they use to spy is either a middle or inside linebacker, and that takes someone away from covering either a slot receiver, a tight end, or a running back coming out of the back field. and that leaves the middle open for slant patterns or for someone like witten, who has various pattern options in the middle, to have a big game.

back when mcnabb was playing, the redskins had quite the defense, and mcnabb was down on weapons as i recall. dallas is also using the fly sweep from time to time, so again taking someone from the middle to watch the QB will hurt the defense, likely at the wrong time.

but its not a bad thing to do, if you have the defense capable of doing it, or if the offense you are facing is a bit weak in places.
Very good points! Maybe teams should try some type of mixed zone/man coverage. Have a safety over top to spy on Prescott and react if Prescott tries to go deep, but have man coverage underneath to try and take away the dink and dunk. You'll have to hope your linebackers are quick enough to cover a slot receiver that slants in the middle while your safeties play deep to prevent the deep pass. That still doesn't stop the running game though. I mean, you load the box with 8 guys, Prescott can just audible out and throw a quick slant to JW or Beasley. Someone at some point will come up with a defense that can stop 'em, it's just a question of who does it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 AM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Reputation: 19111
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Very good points! Maybe teams should try some type of mixed zone/man coverage. Have a safety over top to spy on Prescott and react if Prescott tries to go deep, but have man coverage underneath to try and take away the dink and dunk. You'll have to hope your linebackers are quick enough to cover a slot receiver that slants in the middle while your safeties play deep to prevent the deep pass. That still doesn't stop the running game though. I mean, you load the box with 8 guys, Prescott can just audible out and throw a quick slant to JW or Beasley. Someone at some point will come up with a defense that can stop 'em, it's just a question of who does it first.
well said. and yes someone will figure out how to stop prescott, temporarily. if prescott is the kind of player i suspect he is, he will figure out what the others are doing and compensate for it, the greats always do.

and this is what makes beasley such a good receiver. he isnt fast, heck linemen can run him down it seems, but he can make cuts sharper than a samurai sword can, and that can create space to throw the ball to him, which makes him a great ball control receiver.

in the end, if prescott is the QB i think he is, he will learn, and he will adapt, and that will make him just that much better. if not, he will likely have a nice career being a good QB that made some hay, and ends up towards the end of his career as a back up QB somewhere, likely on a team that has the next great QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. and yes someone will figure out how to stop prescott, temporarily. if prescott is the kind of player i suspect he is, he will figure out what the others are doing and compensate for it, the greats always do.

and this is what makes beasley such a good receiver. he isnt fast, heck linemen can run him down it seems, but he can make cuts sharper than a samurai sword can, and that can create space to throw the ball to him, which makes him a great ball control receiver.

in the end, if prescott is the QB i think he is, he will learn, and he will adapt, and that will make him just that much better. if not, he will likely have a nice career being a good QB that made some hay, and ends up towards the end of his career as a back up QB somewhere, likely on a team that has the next great QB.

Prescott is definitely a smart guy and he's played error free football. I think that's been enhanced by him being well protected by that offensive line and having a very strong running game to lean upon.

As I said before, this Dallas team reminds me more of the Dallas team of the 90's. They're built the same way, but may have a bit more talent at wide receiver than the 90's team. Definitely have more quality depth at running back. I do not remember who backed Emmitt Smith up. Seems like it was Smith or nobody. I always said that Jerry Jones can find quality starters, but his big problem has been the drop off from the 1st stringer to the 2nd. That seems to have changed, at least offensively. Or, it's in the process of changing.

Us Redskins are definitely seeing the benefits of a team that has quality depth on it. So many times during the offseason that we questioned why Scot McCloughan went out and got a guy like Vernon Davis when we needed help on the defensive line, but last week proved why we needed him.

But anyway, I think Prescott will have more success than RGIII, obviously. He's been named the starter even after the bye, so that tells you Jones is comfortable in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 02:27 PM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Reputation: 19111
while RGlll had success early, he was inconsistent in his first season. when he was on his game, he moved the team with him. when he was off his game, the whole team was off. romo is kind of the same way, when he is on, the rest of the team follows. what will happen though when prescott has a bad game? i know he has had bad times during games, and overcame them. he makes good decisions about throwing away the ball to avoid a sack, and avoid an interception, as well as avoid a grounding call. not many rookies, and even some veterans, can do that regularly.

in the past, with emmitt smith, the running game depended on him, with a number of different unknown back ups, who were usually good enough to sub for smith for short time. t that point the dallas running game became a screen pass/short pass game, and that was effective enough that when smith went down the cowboys could compensate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top