U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 01:30 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,126,395 times

Advertisements

I'm discarding the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 01:31 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,510,289 times
The ties dont bother me. If this was the playoffs, yes, they need to play until there is a winner. But if 75 minutes isnt enough time for one of these teams to win, then they deserve to tie. Unless you do an idea as ditchlights suggested, you are just risking more injuries to players.

I hate the college OT method--for the pros--but I think it is fine for college. I like the pro OT method, but if it ends in a tie, so be it.

No offense, ditchlights, but kickers determining the outcome? What is this, a shootout in hockey?

Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,893,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
No offense, ditchlights, but kickers determining the outcome? What is this, a shootout in hockey?
Well, like I said in my post, it is usually due to their ineptitude the game got to that point in the first place, so they should be the ones to sort it out. Had the Bengals not missed that extra point, the game would have not ended the way it did. Same with the tie last week.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Well, like I said in my post, it is usually due to their ineptitude the game got to that point in the first place, so they should be the ones to sort it out. Had the Bengals not missed that extra point, the game would have not ended the way it did. Same with the tie last week.
Fair enough point.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM

1,281 posts, read 504,108 times
Can't believe the Browns blew another lead and about to be 0-8

Old 10-30-2016, 01:53 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Here's my two cents on ties:

Make it a hybrid college rules. The 25 yard line is way to short with the strength of kickers in the NFL, because starting it on the opponents 25 yard line even if you LOSE 10 yards on your possession, it's still a makeable 52 or so yard field goal. But I like every team possessing the ball, even if the first team scores a TD. So, with that said here's how commissioner 7express would change the OT rules in the NFL:

-Each team gets a possession in the Overtime period. There is no game clock, only a play clock. Each team gets 1 timeout per OT period which DO NOT carry over.
-Each team starts their OT possession on their own 45 yard line. The team that possesses the ball 2nd has to match what the team did first to continue, if they fail to match what the first team possessing the ball did the game is over, and the game continues until one team fails to match what the other team did.
-Each series, with both teams possession the ball, constitutes the OT "period." After each period, the teams alternate whoever gets the ball first. I.e. if team B gets the ball in the first OT, they would get the ball 2nd in the 2nd OT, and than 1st again in the 3rd OT, etc.
-The ONLY way the game ends before both teams possess the ball is if the team on defense first returns an interception or fumble for a touchdown OR records a safety.
-Teams can kick a regular PAT after the 1st overtime, and for overtimes 2 through 5 the line of scrimmage for the PAT tries goes up by 5 yards. After the 5th OT teams MUST go for 2.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Can't believe the Browns blew another lead and about to be 0-8
Yeah, Cleveland is really giving this one away...

Old 10-30-2016, 02:09 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times
Speaking of OT, Raiders and Bucs are tied at the moment! Will be interesting if it ends in a tie.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Speaking of OT, Raiders and Bucs are tied at the moment! Will be interesting if it ends in a tie.
Oh No, I hope not I can stomach another tie.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:13 PM

I was surprised by Russell Wilson with 2 seconds left. He throws a pass toward the corner of the endzone instead of throwing it in the middle of the endzone so his receivers can battle for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football