U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:19 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

Well, either way, I'm shocked that Schottenheimer has Alzheimer's and I don't think there is a cure to it just like there's no cure to Parkinson's. Schottenheimer, as I said, was one of the best coaches.

Also I agree with those who mentioned that he was fired after going 14-2 in 2006. Why on earth would you fire a coach with a winning record!?! I'm sure whoever fired him from the Chargers had to regret.

Also wasn't he the head coach for the Chiefs?

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 11-01-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:24 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Well, either way, I'm shocked that Schottenheimer has Alzheimer's and I don't think there is a cure to it just like there's no cure to Parkinson's. Schottenheimer, as I said, was one of the best coaches.

Also I agree with those who mentioned that he was fired after going 14-2 in 2006. Why on earth would you fire a coach with a winning record!?! I'm sure whoever fired him from the Chargers had to regret.

Also wasn't he the head coach for the Chiefs?
He was coach of the Chiefs for most of the 90's.. Again, did incredible things with.. Let's just say, he went to the playoffs with Steve DeBerg at the helm a couple times. Then in came Montana and Allen.. But.. He had mostly 10+ win seasons (7 of 10 years in the playoffs) but never could get over the hump to a Super Bowl.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
When Marty took over from Frank Ganz in 1989 the Chiefs were dysfunctional and a half. In 1986 John Mackovic brought the Chiefs to a playoff spot for the first time since Hank Stram was head coach, believe it or not! This was 1971. What was Mackovic's reward? Fired. Hard to believe but yes, he was replaced by Frank Ganz who won only eight games in two seasons. Yet when Schottenheimer came over he put the Chiefs to an 8-7-1 record, good enough for second in the AFC West. Then for the next several seasons up to 1994 the Chiefs went to 10-6 and 11-5 seasons.

And they kept on searching for that one guy to be the leader-- from Ron Jaworski to Steve DeBerg to Dave Krieg, and when Joe Montana was acquired the KC fanbase went bonkers. Ditto with Marcus Allen! But still they came up short. Montana was on his last legs physically and when he retired Marty went for youth-Steve Bono. Two years later he tapped into the 49ers qb stable again-and signed Elvis Grbac.

Right around 1997 is where the Chiefs and the Broncos were playing tit for tat. Neil Smith went to Denver in a three year deal, KC fired back and signed the Broncos defensive end-Dan Williams. Back came Denver, signing away Keith Traylor from the Chiefs to have him play nose tackle. Around week 11 the Broncos defensive tackle Michael Dean Perry was benched for non production. The Chiefs picked him up on waivers. Perry's career had wound down, he originally was a great lineman for the Browns. KC basically picked up Perry to pump the information out of him and to keep whatever game the two clubs had going.

Opinion: Marty should not let Neil Smith go, Neil had two pro bowl seasons in '97 and '98. It was a salary cap issue and GM Carl Peterson took the hard line approach. Mistake. Meanwhile Denver in '98 ran the table until week 15, week 14's victory against the Chiefs by Denver broke Marty's spirit IMO. After the season was over Marty resigned.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-01-2016 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,895,416 times
So sorry to hear this news. I remember Marty through my early years watching the Chiefs and Chargers. I always liked the teams he coached and remember watching many games with him at the helm on the sidelines. I wish the best for him and his family during this troubling time. My father may be going that direction at the age of 83. I hope this is not the case.

Last edited by ditchlights; 11-01-2016 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Marty and Charger GM A.J. Smith never had a great relationship. But Marty took over a bad club and turned things around, just like he did with Cleveland and Kansas City. The playoff loss to New England, who eventually went to the Super Bowl, was the topper. Owner Dean Spanos was never very happy about having a head coach having relatives be hired by the club.

After the loss the tension was so thick between Smith and Marty you could cut it with a skilsaw. Marty was losing assistant coaches who could see trouble brewing, big trouble, two of those being Cam Cameron and Wade Philips. They could certainly see trouble brewing , they got offers from other clubs, and they left. IMO Dean Spanos thought the problem was with Marty. Me? I thought A.J. Smith was the problem.

In any event, I don't believe the Chargers have ever been the same. Look at them now, their future in San Diego is STILL up in the air. Sad.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Marty and Charger GM A.J. Smith never had a great relationship. But Marty took over a bad club and turned things around, just like he did with Cleveland and Kansas City. The playoff loss to New England, who eventually went to the Super Bowl, was the topper. Owner Dean Spanos was never very happy about having a head coach having relatives be hired by the club.

After the loss the tension was so thick between Smith and Marty you could cut it with a skilsaw. Marty was losing assistant coaches who could see trouble brewing, big trouble, two of those being Cam Cameron and Wade Philips. They could certainly see trouble brewing , they got offers from other clubs, and they left. IMO Dean Spanos thought the problem was with Marty. Me? I thought A.J. Smith was the problem.

In any event, I don't believe the Chargers have ever been the same. Look at them now, their future in San Diego is STILL up in the air. Sad.

If i'm not mistaken.. Cameron and Phillips left for HC jobs. They didn't just head out the door to a lateral position to get away from the Chiefs.. They were offered HC jobs, which.. Yeah.. Few people turn those down.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If i'm not mistaken.. Cameron and Phillips left for HC jobs. They didn't just head out the door to a lateral position to get away from the Chiefs.. They were offered HC jobs, which.. Yeah.. Few people turn those down.
Agreed. I actually picked the wrong two as a total of four assistants left after the season. The other two (which I meant to type in) were Rod Chudzinski and Greg Manusky. Chudzinski went on to be an OC for Cleveland and Manusky went to the 49ers. Both of these guys have been pretty well traveled over the last several seasons regarding coaching jobs, Chudzinski coaching for 5 clubs in the last 8 years and Manusky 4 clubs.

The relatives I was referring to was Marty's son Brian (qb coach) and his brother Kurt, who at that time was employed by Green Bay as an assistant coach. Ownership and A.J. Smith didn't the idea of Marty wanting to bring Kurt to the club. So Spanos made the decision to let Marty go. And the Charger fan base? Oy. That created a firestorm.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-02-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 12:57 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
I believe Marty's son Brian worked for the Jets, I believe as the offensive coordinator.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed. I actually picked the wrong two as a total of four assistants left after the season. The other two (which I meant to type in) were Rod Chudzinski and Greg Manusky. Chudzinski went on to be an OC for Cleveland and Manusky went to the 49ers. Both of these guys have been pretty well traveled over the last several seasons regarding coaching jobs, Chudzinski coaching for 5 clubs in the last 8 years and Manusky 4 clubs.

The relatives I was referring to was Marty's son Brian (qb coach) and his brother Kurt, who at that time was employed by Green Bay as an assistant coach. Ownership and A.J. Smith didn't the idea of Marty wanting to bring Kurt to the club. So Spanos made the decision to let Marty go. And the Charger fan base? Oy. That created a firestorm.
Yes.. I think Brian had been on the staff and he was going to promote him to OC or something like that. But I agree totally with this part. The funny thing was.. Kurt actually wound up staying as the DC for a couple of years after Marty left, I think.

the move to Norv was actually not a horrible decision at the moment.. In hindsight, and knowing more about Norv now.. He had been coach at Washington and had been given a long leash, partly because Jack Kent Cooke gave coaches a pretty long leash, and partly because JKK died and the team was in a holding pattern for a while. He was actually doing decent building that team back up from the collapse. Then he went to Oakland, where noone could win. San Diego is basically where it was figured out that Norv was a great OC... Bad HC. my opinion on that is that he didn't maintain enough control over the team. No discipline.

I'd clarify a bit also that as I recall, Smith gave him a vote of confidence, said he'd be back the next year and then like a month later fired him.

Quote:
I believe Marty's son Brian worked for the Jets, I believe as the offensive coordinator.
He's currently the QB coach for Indy. Kurt has been out of the league for 7 years or so. Not sure if he's officially 'retired' or not.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:27 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
I wonder if this could have any connection to CTE.

Wish the best for Marty and his family. Schottenheimer was one of my favorite coaches. Used to wish he'd show up in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or