U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I wonder if this could have any connection to CTE.

Wish the best for Marty and his family. Schottenheimer was one of my favorite coaches. Used to wish he'd show up in Detroit.
Schottenheimer was a player for a while, so.. It's certainly possible. Remember that JD Gibbs is having some very strange issues right now that are Alzheimers/dementia related and it doesn't look too good for him. He played football in college and then ran ~30 car races and did some 'extreme' sports.. Had a few concussions.

I saw him on TV last year during the Kyle Busch championship celebration and he looked vacant and odd. I mean really looked bad. And what I mean by that.. The eyes.. They just.. You look in them and see that noone's home? That's the look he had. Read an article after JGR won the Daytona 500 this year and a reporter was talking about how he was talking to JD in victory lane and he tailed off while talking and shuffled away.

Another reporter said how he came up to him on pit lane and addressed him by name.. A team member said something along the lines of "It's a good day, he's remembering names".. JD is just slightly older than me and i'm 42.. I played little league with Coy (Not same team, same league.. There were always rumors that Joe might show up for a game), so.. We're the same age and as I recall JD was just slightly older. So, i'd say JD is 45 or 46.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:31 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Schottenheimer was a player for a while, so.. It's certainly possible.
Agreed.Marty went to college at Pitt. Lou Saban drafted Marty in the 7th round for the Bills in 1965. But Marty couldn't crack the Bills starting lineup for linebackers which were John Tracy, Mike Stratton, and Harry Jacobs. Their reserves were Paul Guidry and Paul McGuire(who doubled as the Bills punter and went on to be a broadcaster for NBC and ESPN-a good one too!)

From what I remember Marty was on special teams for the most part with the Bills and then was traded to the Patriots where he could at least have an opportunity to start. This was 1969. Later he finished his career with the Colts in 1972, I believe. And of course got into coaching.

Marty was ALWAYS good with NFL Films. Some of his best commentary is on ESPN "Sports Century" one hour bio on Joe Namath. A few years ago NFL Films did a great 5 part series on the Showtime channel regarding the AFL. It's called "Full Color Football-the Ten Year History Of The American Football League." He has quite a bit of input regarding commentary on the Bills, Namath, and the AFL in general.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wow.. I missed this over the weekend, or it was fairly well buried news.

Former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer battling Alzheimer's disease

Sad.. he'd be talked about as one of the best-ever coaches if he had ever managed to get a team that didn't collapse in the playoffs.
sad to hear - he was a name in the running several years ago with the Bucs ....Marty Schottenheimer, Tampa Bay Buccaneers discuss coaching job | Tampa Bay Times

Old 12-11-2016, 11:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 981,744 times
very sad, to me he is the best NFL Head Coach to never win a Super Bowl, and not even reach the Super Bowl either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or