U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2016, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,723 posts, read 11,545,104 times
Reputation: 12484

Advertisements

I think the point Susan was making was a dig at the NFL PUNDITS and not this board in particular

Exactly! As I stated before we were at the halfway point, way too early to make predictions! I wasn't saying the Seahawks can't do it, just pointing out things happen and crowning teams with games to play yet, not so fast! Some of the comments a little intense, these are just games!

 
Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Oh my god...

Is giving up 14 points now such an albatross? Really? Is this how you're making your argument?

Those 14 points they allowed today still means they are the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. By the way, you do realize that the most points they've allowed this season is 25, right? And that's playing top tier offensive teams like Atlanta, New England, and New Orleans. Your strawman argument was just obliterated to pieces...

I must be hearing different analysts speak, because for a solid month now, I've heard the Dallas Cowboys mentioned as the team to beat, not Seattle. Analysts say that Seattle is a threat, but very few, even in NFL.com, say Seattle is the team to beat in the NFC...

I for one will enjoy watching the Cowboys get whipped, and that's not an emotional statement. Anybody who does it will suffice, I juse feel like Seattle has the best odds. There is a clear Seattle bias on this board...

This dude really said 14 points...
To be fair, i don't watch ESPN and very little NFL network. Most of the news i was hearing/reading was from the radio and internet.... they were gushing about Seattle after the Patriots game.... most proclaiming the Seahawks as the best team in the NFC... personally, i would rather be the hunter vs the hunted so I am hoping the pundits (at least the ones i listen to) keep Seattle as the favorite.

In the end, if the Cowboys Seahawks do face off, i think it will come down to the poorest sides of the ball vs the strongest... the Cowboys offense vs the Seahawks defense will be a push... but will Cowboys poor defense be able to stop/contain the Seahawks poor offense, at least enough to outscore them. This wont be a 41-38 game. It could be something like 20-17.... and a pick'em game.
 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 AM
 
1,281 posts, read 504,605 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
To be fair, i don't watch ESPN and very little NFL network. Most of the news i was hearing/reading was from the radio and internet.... they were gushing about Seattle after the Patriots game.... most proclaiming the Seahawks as the best team in the NFC... personally, i would rather be the hunter vs the hunted so I am hoping the pundits (at least the ones i listen to) keep Seattle as the favorite.

In the end, if the Cowboys Seahawks do face off, i think it will come down to the poorest sides of the ball vs the strongest... the Cowboys offense vs the Seahawks defense will be a push... but will Cowboys poor defense be able to stop/contain the Seahawks poor offense, at least enough to outscore them. This wont be a 41-38 game. It could be something like 20-17.... and a pick'em game.

A team doesn't get to be 10-1 if they have a poor defense. The defense has kept teams out of the endzone all season including on Thanksgiving. You can say average defense but a poor defense does not allow a team to win 10 straight games.
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM
 
3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A team doesn't get to be 10-1 if they have a poor defense. The defense has kept teams out of the endzone all season including on Thanksgiving. You can say average defense but a poor defense does not allow a team to win 10 straight games.
Kirk Cousins threw for 450 yards on Thanksgiving. Washington had over 500 yards of total offense. Washington missed a few plays and the game was very close. Not really a good example to site for to support Dallas' defense.
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 AM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,228,275 times
Reputation: 1738
Dallas vs Pats 2017 SB
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 AM
 
1,281 posts, read 504,605 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Kirk Cousins threw for 450 yards on Thanksgiving. Washington had over 500 yards of total offense. Washington missed a few plays and the game was very close. Not really a good example to site for to support Dallas' defense.
It doesn't matter if he threw for 600 yds the cowboys defense got it done when it mattered the most.
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It doesn't matter if he threw for 600 yds the cowboys defense got it done when it mattered the most.
AGREE 100%.
I think i have argued more than i should have to that most if NOT ALL of Cousins yards were gained as the Skins were coming back from 2 scores. Now if the Cowboys had a top 2 or 3 defense, then everyone would realize that and know those were garbage yards but because the Cowboys have a kink in the Armour, fans will focus on that supposed kink and scream and holler how the REDSKINS exposed the Cowboys... maybe, maybe not. Nobody mentions the fact that the Redskins rushed for only 56 yards! Why is that stat ignored? If you ask any coach in the NFL whether they would prefer to have 150 yards rushing or 450 yards passing what do you think they will say? You don't rush for 150 yards if your losing by 2 scores... you just don't but you can certainly pass for 450 yards and lose.. that happens a lot. In fact, it wasn't that long ago when the trend of 300 yard passing days by a QB almost always meant, his team LOST.

The FACTS are the Cowboys have the 7th ranked defense which could be a product of Great offense but still, the defense makes plays. They have given up over 3,000 yards passing which is near the bottom but at the same time, they have given up only 900 yards rushing which is near the top. Its a product of the Cowboys offense taking a lead and forcing the opponent to pass the ball. Personally, i would rather give up more yards passing than rushing but maybe that's just me.

I am not saying the Cowboys have a top defense. They struggle getting pressure on the QB and turnovers have been few and far between. But on the flip side, the Cowboys defense forces more FGs in the RED ZONE that most teams.. they bend and don't break. Would i prefer to have a top defense like Denver that gets 6 sacks and 3 turnovers a game? SURE! But you saw what that got them last night... They looked rather gassed in the 4th quarter and OT... in fact, they COULDN'T get a STOP when it mattered MOST!
 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:15 AM
 
158 posts, read 49,611 times
Reputation: 72
MCO, I am a Cowboy fan, I LOVE the fact they are 10-1 and I am riding the wave. I am however realistic. Sooner or later your defense has to step up as opposed to just playing with the scheme of "lets just HOPE we can outscore the other team"


They are among the bottom in turnovers (forced)
among the bottom on 3rd down efficiency (letting other teams convert)
I believe they are LAST in 3 and outs forced
near the bottom on sacks


I get we are winning, no disputing that. As a fan I am frustrated that Marinelli refuses to do anything different....Get crazy, throw a blitz in there every once in awhile, do SOMETHING different. I am mind boggled that over the last 1.75 years, they cannot get turnovers!!!! What is even worse, they don't come close to getting turnovers. I could understand if their CBs stepped in front of a receiver and dropped the ball, but they don't come close. I don't believe Washington went 3 and out 1 time and I believe that Wash only punted once....how do you force 1 punt, no sacks and no turnovers....They aren't going up against their O line, this was the redskin O line....we made them all look like probowlers....sheesh
 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,229,410 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It doesn't matter if he threw for 600 yds the cowboys defense got it done when it mattered the most.
No, actually they didn't. The Cowboys defense was pretty much an non-factor all day long, and especially in the second half. Same can be said for the Redskins defense as well. More accurately is the Cowboy offense go it done when it mattered the most - scoring TDs when the 'skins were missing field goals in the first half.
 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:53 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 504,605 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No, actually they didn't. The Cowboys defense was pretty much an non-factor all day long, and especially in the second half. Same can be said for the Redskins defense as well. More accurately is the Cowboy offense go it done when it mattered the most - scoring TDs when the 'skins were missing field goals in the first half.
How was the cowboys defense a non factor all day if they kept the skins out of the end zone the entire first half?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top