U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the NFL stop playing games outside the USA?
Yes 28 77.78%
No 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times

Advertisements

Bondurant, you're probably right plus the older generations were there whether they really wanted to be or not! And, many of them go back to see what it is like after the war.

I know many in their late 60s, 70s, early 80s who also were in Germany during the Cold War. Germany is a popular destination. China is also, haven't been there yet. I've been to Germany several times and always up to go again.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:16 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,775,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser18 View Post
Since when isn't football a worldwide sport?

I am from Australia and have played football in Europe as well as down under. I played on scholarship for 4 years in college in the States and a year after that. There are leagues where players get paid in Europe and Asia.

Many punters are Australian and international players now play in the NFL. At least 25% of middle aged Australia men watch the game and I imagine it is more in the UK and places like Germany. The game is growing and the NFL has every right to try and extend it's reach.
That "right" only goes as far as the CBA and players union allow. No hate, but Oz can start its own league. The advent of MLS didn't have UEFA cups and leagues clamoring to add US teams despite preseason tours by UEFA powers...

Old 11-19-2016, 05:48 PM

71 posts, read 32,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That "right" only goes as far as the CBA and players union allow. No hate, but Oz can start its own league. The advent of MLS didn't have UEFA cups and leagues clamoring to add US teams despite preseason tours by UEFA powers...
Obviously Australia will never have an NFL team but I'd like to see if a team in London would work or not. Teams that play there could have the Bye on the week after. The extra money coming in would be huge and I am not sure the NFLPA would complain about salaries continuing to increase.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,324,216 times
Quote:
Obviously Australia will never have an NFL team but I'd like to see if a team in London would work or not. Teams that play there could have the Bye on the week after. The extra money coming in would be huge and I am not sure the NFLPA would complain about salaries continuing to increase.
What about the team in London? Would they get a bye after every away game?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What about the team in London? Would they get a bye after every away game?
No, but some creativity with scheduling could allow it to work. Two games away, two at home for example. London to New York isn't much further than New York to San Diego.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
No, but some creativity with scheduling could allow it to work. Two games away, two at home for example. London to New York isn't much further than New York to San Diego.
So the London team's CLOSEST opponent would be as far away as any other team's FURTHEST opponent (other than the London team itself)? And how would being away for two games in a row be of any benefit? Fly to a different continent, play a game, fly home, do it all over again next week, while fighting jetlag no less -- where's the benefit in this schedule?

Are you starting to see how a London team is at an intractable logistical disadvantage versus the rest of the league?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,893,740 times
Only upside to these games as a fan on the West Coast, is there is an extra game to wake up to at 6:30am. Kinda like it while I drink my morning coffee and catch up on other things around the house.

It must surely suck to be a player in the NFL and have to deal with that crap though!

Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So the London team's CLOSEST opponent would be as far away as any other team's FURTHEST opponent (other than the London team itself)? And how would being away for two games in a row be of any benefit? Fly to a different continent, play a game, fly home, do it all over again next week, while fighting jetlag no less -- where's the benefit in this schedule?

Are you starting to see how a London team is at an intractable logistical disadvantage versus the rest of the league?
Obviously you don't fly home to London in between the two away games. Living on the road for 8-9 days is not unheard of in the world of professional sports.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Obviously you don't fly home to London in between the two away games. Living on the road for 8-9 days is not unheard of in the world of professional sports.
It's unheard of in the NFL. You expect one team to be away from its own facilities and their own homes and their families for half the season while the rest of the league gets to go home to familiar surroundings every week?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
It's unheard of in the NFL. You expect one team to be away from its own facilities and their own homes and their families for half the season while the rest of the league gets to go home to familiar surroundings every week?

Yes, no one said it would be easy. Another suggestion I have seen floating around is having a base in the States as well as London. As for not being at home or with family, some salary cap concessions would certainly help ease the pain. The marketing opportunities for star players in London wouldn't hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or