U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2016, 12:06 PM
 
1,342 posts, read 1,026,526 times
Reputation: 1122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Dak has played really well thus far, but let's face it...he's mostly a game manager. Prescott's primary job is to turn around and hand it off to Zeke. With Romo, the playbook is WIDE open.


Obviously, Elliott has been extremely important to the Cowboys and the ground game is the foundation of what they do but I don't think it would be totally fair to Dak Prescott to say he's "mostly a game manager".


Through 9 games he has thrown for 2,339 yards with 14 passing touchdowns, 2 INTs and an average of 8.4 yards per attempt. At that rate, he's on pace to throw for over 4,100 yards and 24 to 25 touchdowns over the course of a 16 game season. His average of 8.4 yards per passing attempt is actually 3rd in the NFL behind Tom Brady & Matt Ryan. Romo has actually only had 2 seasons out of 10 where he has averaged 8.4 YPA or better. Tom Brady's career YPA is 7.5 and Peyton Manning's career YPA is 7.7. Prescott's 8.4 YPA is actually pretty elite and well above what you would see from a game manager QB like Alex Smith (Smith's career YPA is 6.7). YPA is a pretty decent barometer of how dynamic a passer a QB is.


The Cowboys are smartly not asking Prescott to throw it 40+ times per game but, when asked to pass, he has been pretty dynamic and the stats back that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2016, 12:15 PM
 
32,591 posts, read 26,544,998 times
Reputation: 19240
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Class act he is and many players could learn from his gracious presser yesterday. I wish him success and actually would hope he doesn't play anymore, with the list of injuries he's had. I know players want to play, but big picture, consider your health and the rest of your life.
the only injury that romo has had that worries me is the back injury this season. that one leaves him with back issues from here on out in life, and another bad break there could leave him a paraplegic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:22 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 509,821 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take It Back View Post
This is where posters lose me....If people are strictly speaking of his playoff record, that is subpar at 2-4, agreed. His "play" has never been questionable. He was consistently in the top 5 as far as stats. I believe he has the 1st or 2nd highest QBR in 4th Qtrs (that stat is for all the people who throw the "choke" term out there). As a starter he is 29 games over .500 at 78-49....That is not the stat line of a "questionable" QB
He had some win and get in games that he didn't play well in at the end of the season. I think one game was against the eagles in 2008 and the other was vs the skins in 2012 or 13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:24 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 509,821 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Obviously, Elliott has been extremely important to the Cowboys and the ground game is the foundation of what they do but I don't think it would be totally fair to Dak Prescott to say he's "mostly a game manager".


Through 9 games he has thrown for 2,339 yards with 14 passing touchdowns, 2 INTs and an average of 8.4 yards per attempt. At that rate, he's on pace to throw for over 4,100 yards and 24 to 25 touchdowns over the course of a 16 game season. His average of 8.4 yards per passing attempt is actually 3rd in the NFL behind Tom Brady & Matt Ryan. Romo has actually only had 2 seasons out of 10 where he has averaged 8.4 YPA or better. Tom Brady's career YPA is 7.5 and Peyton Manning's career YPA is 7.7. Prescott's 8.4 YPA is actually pretty elite and well above what you would see from a game manager QB like Alex Smith (Smith's career YPA is 6.7). YPA is a pretty decent barometer of how dynamic a passer a QB is.


The Cowboys are smartly not asking Prescott to throw it 40+ times per game but, when asked to pass, he has been pretty dynamic and the stats back that up.


If Dak was a game manager they cowboys lose to the skins, the eagles, and steelers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:26 PM
 
6 posts, read 2,526 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
He had some win and get in games that he didn't play well in at the end of the season. I think one game was against the eagles in 2008 and the other was vs the skins in 2012 or 13


So we are going to base a players ENTIRE career on 2 regular season games? He has played in over 130 games, forget about the 130, lets break down his entire career on 2 games....seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:49 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 509,821 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take It Back View Post
So we are going to base a players ENTIRE career on 2 regular season games? He has played in over 130 games, forget about the 130, lets break down his entire career on 2 games....seriously?
Overall he was a good QB but he didn't step up his game in the postseason. Someone mentioned that the playbook was wide open with romo well I think it was too wide open which explains his costly turnovers.

Atleast I can say when dak turns over the ball he makes up for it

He threw a int vs eagles but managed to come back and lead the cowboys on two td scoring drives

He fumbled against the steelers but came back to throw a 50 yd td pass to dez bryant.

Romo would turnover the ball and never got his team back in the game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,688 posts, read 33,578,364 times
Reputation: 32475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take It Back View Post
So we are going to base a players ENTIRE career on 2 regular season games? He has played in over 130 games, forget about the 130, lets break down his entire career on 2 games....seriously?
He has been a starter since 2006. He is 2-4 in the playoffs. 10 years and only two playoff wins puts you in the questionable category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,259 posts, read 2,882,197 times
Reputation: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Overall he was a good QB but he didn't step up his game in the postseason. Someone mentioned that the playbook was wide open with romo well I think it was too wide open which explains his costly turnovers.

Atleast I can say when dak turns over the ball he makes up for it

He threw a int vs eagles but managed to come back and lead the cowboys on two td scoring drives

He fumbled against the steelers but came back to throw a 50 yd td pass to dez bryant.

Romo would turnover the ball and never got his team back in the game
I don't know if it's fair to write that about Dak yet, as his resume totals just 9 games. Romo's totaled 127 starts. I think we've seen enough to say that Dak deserves the job and and he's their QB of the future, but not enough to compare his bounce-back quality yet. Remember, RGIII had a sensational rookie year. Blake Bortles looked great in Year 2 and has completely melted in Year 3 here...

Dak has given us plenty of reason for optimism but I'm not saying he's better than Romo yet. He has stepped up in the relief duty and played much better than expected...

Also, let me say this. There's been four years where Romo was a Top 7 quarterback--2007, 2011, 2012, 2014. Except for '12, we can say he was a Top 5 QB in the other three years. Ten years, only three as a legit Top 5 QB. So there is credence to the notion that he was questionable. He had more than two "win and in" games and always seemed to lose those games; he had miserable turnovers numerous times with his team in position to win (I'll never forget when they had Denver in '12 and Romo had the best game of his life and threw it away at the end); his injury history speaks for itself from 2010-2016. So there's cause to call him questionable. He's had some sensational games but didn't have enough of them because he normally followed those games up with mediocre or downright horrible games right after...

However, let's say this as well. He was hampered by poor coaching from Jason Garrett early in Garrett's tenure; too much roster and coaching turnover for the better part of his career; and too much weight was placed on his shoulders to deliver, and it shouldn't have had to be that way. Listen, Murray was great in '14, no mistake about it, but he isn't and wasn't Ezekiel Elliott, he never had a back that dynamic. When Romo was healthy the only time he had a star studded OL he nearly took them to the NFC Championship. He did have Witten but his receivers have been hit or miss--Dez is the best he's had, yet Dez is much like Romo himself (great game or season here or there, followed by average performances). Dez ain't no AJ Green. So, there were circumstances out of his control, in regards to the talent around him, and he's taken the blame even when he shouldn't have...

I may sound like a Romo apologist here, but his playoff record speaks for itself. He's only been to the playoffs four times in ten years as a starter--that's not the hallmark of an elite or great quarterback. It just isnt. He's got a losing record in the playoffs, which isn't as bad, but he's never had one of his greatest games in the playoffs. Not one. The most memorable Romo games are all from the regular season. That's a problem and not the hallmark of a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 04:44 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 509,821 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't know if it's fair to write that about Dak yet, as his resume totals just 9 games. Romo's totaled 127 starts. I think we've seen enough to say that Dak deserves the job and and he's their QB of the future, but not enough to compare his bounce-back quality yet. Remember, RGIII had a sensational rookie year. Blake Bortles looked great in Year 2 and has completely melted in Year 3 here...

Dak has given us plenty of reason for optimism but I'm not saying he's better than Romo yet. He has stepped up in the relief duty and played much better than expected...

Also, let me say this. There's been four years where Romo was a Top 7 quarterback--2007, 2011, 2012, 2014. Except for '12, we can say he was a Top 5 QB in the other three years. Ten years, only three as a legit Top 5 QB. So there is credence to the notion that he was questionable. He had more than two "win and in" games and always seemed to lose those games; he had miserable turnovers numerous times with his team in position to win (I'll never forget when they had Denver in '12 and Romo had the best game of his life and threw it away at the end); his injury history speaks for itself from 2010-2016. So there's cause to call him questionable. He's had some sensational games but didn't have enough of them because he normally followed those games up with mediocre or downright horrible games right after...

However, let's say this as well. He was hampered by poor coaching from Jason Garrett early in Garrett's tenure; too much roster and coaching turnover for the better part of his career; and too much weight was placed on his shoulders to deliver, and it shouldn't have had to be that way. Listen, Murray was great in '14, no mistake about it, but he isn't and wasn't Ezekiel Elliott, he never had a back that dynamic. When Romo was healthy the only time he had a star studded OL he nearly took them to the NFC Championship. He did have Witten but his receivers have been hit or miss--Dez is the best he's had, yet Dez is much like Romo himself (great game or season here or there, followed by average performances). Dez ain't no AJ Green. So, there were circumstances out of his control, in regards to the talent around him, and he's taken the blame even when he shouldn't have...

I may sound like a Romo apologist here, but his playoff record speaks for itself. He's only been to the playoffs four times in ten years as a starter--that's not the hallmark of an elite or great quarterback. It just isnt. He's got a losing record in the playoffs, which isn't as bad, but he's never had one of his greatest games in the playoffs. Not one. The most memorable Romo games are all from the regular season. That's a problem and not the hallmark of a winner!
Dak does not have the same playing style of RG3 because he is a pass first type of QB. He buys time when he is pressured not try to run on every down like RG3 which is why he will be out of the NFL in 2 years. And I agree about Romo he had some memorable moments as a starter in the regular season but i would not consider him a HOF QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,259 posts, read 2,882,197 times
Reputation: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Dak does not have the same playing style of RG3 because he is a pass first type of QB. He buys time when he is pressured not try to run on every down like RG3 which is why he will be out of the NFL in 2 years. And I agree about Romo he had some memorable moments as a starter in the regular season but i would not consider him a HOF QB.
I'm not comparing RGIII's playing style to Dak's. I'm saying is it fair to say "Dak bounces back" from a bad game? Let's be honest on two counts here: 1)Romo has had his fair share of great games after having a bad one...

2)More importantly, Dak Prescott has had the benefit of a very good, B+/A- offense around him. Is it fair to say he bounces back from adversity? Let's be honest, what adversity has he really faced this year? I think it is impressive that he approaches his mistakes with such an even personality, and he doesn't compound them or let them get into his head. That's how I know he's the man of the future...

The three best teams he's played this year are in his division, and while all three of those teams are in the top 9-12 teams in the league, not one (NYG, Skins, or Eagles) is an elite Top 6/7/8 team. None of the teams we thought would be really good this year (Cincinnati, Green Bay, Pittsburgh) are good, they actually all kind of suck. It's that old college football parallel---those games looked like big games in the off/preseason, but present analysis shows us the Cowboys were supposed to win those games. 60% of the season is behind us. We know who the good teams are...

As a result, and not in his control, but the Cowboys have had an easy schedule. Division matchups are always 50/50, and the NFC East is beating the crap out of the AFC North this year, which is far weaker than we thought it would be. Then the Cowboys drew the Bears and Niners, and still get the Buccaneers. Where is the statement win? They haven't had one. The Cowboys record against current playoff teams, or one-game playoff outsiders right now, is 2-1 (vs Giants, at Skins, vs Philly). That's a .667 win percentage. By contrast:

-the Giants are 3-2 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (at Dallas, vs Skins, @Vikings, vs Ravens, vs Eagles). That's a .600 win percentage...
-the Redskins are 4-2 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (vs Dallas, @Giants, @Ravens, vs Eagles, @Lions, vs Vikings). That's a .667 win percentage...
-the Eagles are 2-4 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (at Lions, at Redskins, vs Vikings, at Dallas, at Giants, vs Falcons). That's a .333 win percentage...

My point is, the Cowboys toughest games are in front of them, not behind, and the balance of power in the NFC East is not that wide. The Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins all have similar win percentages versus playoff contenders. Dak will have some real adversity coming when they lose a few games and the noise starts coming for them to bench him for Romo...

Listen, I'm a believer that they have the best team in the division. They got three more division games, and it won't be a sweep. The 8-1 start is a great story for them but there's at least 2 losses coming, and maybe 3. I would not take them over Seattle for a second, and obviously they haven't drawn the other AFC divisions but who could they beat in the AFC West definitively? New England?

I just don't know it's fair to say he handles adversity better than Romo yet-----but I DO believe he has the tools to be better than Romo, long term. He's got "it" written all over him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top