Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm not comparing RGIII's playing style to Dak's. I'm saying is it fair to say "Dak bounces back" from a bad game? Let's be honest on two counts here: 1)Romo has had his fair share of great games after having a bad one...

2)More importantly, Dak Prescott has had the benefit of a very good, B+/A- offense around him. Is it fair to say he bounces back from adversity? Let's be honest, what adversity has he really faced this year? I think it is impressive that he approaches his mistakes with such an even personality, and he doesn't compound them or let them get into his head. That's how I know he's the man of the future...

The three best teams he's played this year are in his division, and while all three of those teams are in the top 9-12 teams in the league, not one (NYG, Skins, or Eagles) is an elite Top 6/7/8 team. None of the teams we thought would be really good this year (Cincinnati, Green Bay, Pittsburgh) are good, they actually all kind of suck. It's that old college football parallel---those games looked like big games in the off/preseason, but present analysis shows us the Cowboys were supposed to win those games. 60% of the season is behind us. We know who the good teams are...

As a result, and not in his control, but the Cowboys have had an easy schedule. Division matchups are always 50/50, and the NFC East is beating the crap out of the AFC North this year, which is far weaker than we thought it would be. Then the Cowboys drew the Bears and Niners, and still get the Buccaneers. Where is the statement win? They haven't had one. The Cowboys record against current playoff teams, or one-game playoff outsiders right now, is 2-1 (vs Giants, at Skins, vs Philly). That's a .667 win percentage. By contrast:

-the Giants are 3-2 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (at Dallas, vs Skins, @Vikings, vs Ravens, vs Eagles). That's a .600 win percentage...
-the Redskins are 4-2 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (vs Dallas, @Giants, @Ravens, vs Eagles, @Lions, vs Vikings). That's a .667 win percentage...
-the Eagles are 2-4 against current playoff teams or one-game outsiders (at Lions, at Redskins, vs Vikings, at Dallas, at Giants, vs Falcons). That's a .333 win percentage...

My point is, the Cowboys toughest games are in front of them, not behind, and the balance of power in the NFC East is not that wide. The Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins all have similar win percentages versus playoff contenders. Dak will have some real adversity coming when they lose a few games and the noise starts coming for them to bench him for Romo...

Listen, I'm a believer that they have the best team in the division. They got three more division games, and it won't be a sweep. The 8-1 start is a great story for them but there's at least 2 losses coming, and maybe 3. I would not take them over Seattle for a second, and obviously they haven't drawn the other AFC divisions but who could they beat in the AFC West definitively? New England?

I just don't know it's fair to say he handles adversity better than Romo yet-----but I DO believe he has the tools to be better than Romo, long term. He's got "it" written all over him...

If Dak can bounce back from a bad 1st half then I am sure he can bounce back from a bad game. Twice this season he has bounced back from a bad first half and then played better after halftime which was against the eagles and steelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Lifelong Giants fan, so it is required to hate the 'boys😊! With that said, you have to have a lot of respect for Romo. I cannot think of another starting QB with the resume he has, doing the same thing.

Players like that are few and far between.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:46 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
got to admit that romo is a class act.
I've always felt that way.

I know how players feel when they hit the crossroads in their career. The desire to compete, the desire to win. Me? I'd retire. I've had plenty of surgeries in my day, but so far no back surgeries.

Back surgeries? Oy!

And not surprisingly, the speculators are doing their thing. The Arizona Republic suggests Romo to be a Cardinal, and Denver's Westword paper suggesting him to be a Bronco.

Heh, with Denver's O-line? Umm, no.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:15 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
The back and 2 broken collar bones, last year was ridiculous. I know he wants to play but for his long term health, I can't see it, competitive or not. I hadn't even thought about the O line issues for various teams, as Packers have had a decent one for awhile now.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
The back and 2 broken collar bones, last year was ridiculous. I know he wants to play but for his long term health, I can't see it, competitive or not. I hadn't even thought about the O line issues for various teams, as Packers have had a decent one for awhile now.
And I don't understand why he allows a 300 pound defender to fall on top of him when he can just throw the ball away like Eli manning does.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I don't get it either, following the Packers and Rodgers holding the ball too long instead of throwing it away.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
Romo without question would give the Cowboys the overall best chance to reach the SB THIS YEAR. Dak has up to ten freakin seconds to throw the ball back there. You guys forget the years when Romo was "one step, two step, three defenders in my face" and the magician he is, still manage to eek out win after win with like that. Dak would never be able to accomplish that at this point.

THAT SAID, make no mistake about it, you're all overlooking the real reason why the Cowboys are going with Dak. Romo is as fragile as glass. He will break from any big league hit and if he's back out there, it will eventually happen. the Cowboys know this and Romo probably does too. Dak is not a linebacker, but the guy is physically solid. He will be able to take a good beating and bounce back. Long term Dak is the answer. FOR THIS SEASON, Going back to Romo, heading into the playoffs, Romo would have been the better choice. But realistically, how do you do that? **** Dak off, your future franchise QB? No, you decide to just go with him now.

Dak will get his tough game soon enough. Once he feels consistent pressure and the running game is shut down, he will have his "rookie game" it's going to happen. And my guess it will happen come playoff time.

Last edited by alaskaboy; 11-17-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
one of the things prescott does that romo doesnt is use his legs to extend the play, and even get needed first downs.

and true romo has made some great plays over the years, but that comes at a price, meaning he has thrown a lot of interceptions as a result of trying to force the ball to receivers. in the last 9 games prescott has only thrown two interceptions, in romos last nine games he has thrown like 9 interceptions.

we shall see what happens the rest of the season. but think about this, it isnt just prescott or romo, but rather the entire team. prescott is doing very well because he has several weapons at his disposal, and he has an offensive line that allows him to use those weapons. and because the offense is doing well and controlling the ball, the defense has time to rest. one of the big problems in the past for dallas was teh defense getting run down in the fourth quarter, and teams taking advantage of that fatigue.

so give credit where credit is properly due, not just to prescott, but to elliot, bryant, beasley, williams, witten, escobar, the offensive line, and albert morris, among others.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Romo without question would give the Cowboys the overall best chance to reach the SB THIS YEAR. Dak has up to ten freakin seconds to throw the ball back there. You guys forget the years when Romo was "one step, two step, three defenders in my face" and the magician he is, still manage to eek out win after win with like that. Dak would never be able to accomplish that at this point.

THAT SAID, make no mistake about it, you're all overlooking the real reason why the Cowboys are going with Dak. Romo is as fragile as glass. He will break from any big league hit and if he's back out there, it will eventually happen. the Cowboys know this and Romo probably does too. Dak is not a linebacker, but the guy is physically solid. He will be able to take a good beating and bounce back. Long term Dak is the answer. FOR THIS SEASON, Going back to Romo, heading into the playoffs, Romo would have been the better choice. But realistically, how do you do that? **** Dak off, your future franchise QB? No, you decide to just go with him now.

Dak will get his tough game soon enough. Once he feels consistent pressure and the running game is shut down, he will have his "rookie game" it's going to happen. And my guess it will happen come playoff time.
Dak did not have 10 seconds to throw against the eagles and steelers which is why he had to bring the team back late in the 4th qtr

Old 11-18-2016, 09:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
Very classy of Romo. He's no giving up, but showing leadership for the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football