U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,574,293 times
Reputation: 9446

Advertisements

Dak is not even close to being an MVP. He's a game manager. Look at his stats, Dak Prescott is 20th in pass attempts per game, and 16th in yards. That's game manager territory. Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Tom Brady, Drew Brees are all ahead of Dak IMO.

Dak might have the ability to be more than a game manager, but as of right now, his primary job is to turn around and hand it off to Zeke. Not his fault, Dak is only running the offense that is being called.

But unlike true "gunslinger" QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Eli....Dak Prescott IS NOT asked to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a game. And for that reason, Dak is nowhere near being an MVP. Not when his primary job as a QB is to hand the ball off.

 
Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
Reputation: 70875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
For me... seeing how today's typical athletes behave - yes... low standards.
That just makes the other guys aholes.
Not makes Dak a hero.
 
Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,271 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Small details...

Camera was on Dak while sitting on the bench against the Ravens... he turned to the back to throw a cup in the trash can and missed... got up, picked it up off the ground and put it in the trash.

I know he is doing well on the field, but that gave me respect for him as a person... in that he was brought up with some values. I see players all the time mindlessly throw trash on the ground during the games - and this is in all pro sports. I guess that's what I was brought up to do and I passed that on to my kids, and it's good to see at least one NFL player show some personal discipline with the small things.

Thumbs up for Dak.
I saw that and agree, and that's one of the things I hate about going to sports games. 50k+ fans in a stadium, and most of them are eating like pigs all day and tossing their garbage on the ground for other people to later clean up.
 
Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,862,006 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Dak is not even close to being an MVP. He's a game manager. Look at his stats, Dak Prescott is 20th in pass attempts per game, and 16th in yards. That's game manager territory. Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Tom Brady, Drew Brees are all ahead of Dak IMO.

Dak might have the ability to be more than a game manager, but as of right now, his primary job is to turn around and hand it off to Zeke. Not his fault, Dak is only running the offense that is being called.

But unlike true "gunslinger" QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Eli....Dak Prescott IS NOT asked to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a game. And for that reason, Dak is nowhere near being an MVP. Not when his primary job as a QB is to hand the ball off.
I disagree. If he were a game manager several things would be different. Instead of 20th in attempts he'd probably be back around 25th or worse. And his passing yards rank would not be four spots higher than his attempts rank. The fact that it is means he is going down field more which is something game managers do not do. Also never heard of a game manager who has 17 TDs through 10 games. He'll likely end up close to 28 TDs on the season if he plays all 16 games.
 
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,525 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Reputation: 11424
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That just makes the other guys aholes.
Not makes Dak a hero.
Hero?? I don't believe I went that far...

Dang - give someone a compliment and I get this...
 
Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 AM
 
158 posts, read 49,727 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Dak is not even close to being an MVP. He's a game manager. Look at his stats, Dak Prescott is 20th in pass attempts per game, and 16th in yards. That's game manager territory. Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Tom Brady, Drew Brees are all ahead of Dak IMO.

Dak might have the ability to be more than a game manager, but as of right now, his primary job is to turn around and hand it off to Zeke. Not his fault, Dak is only running the offense that is being called.

But unlike true "gunslinger" QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Eli....Dak Prescott IS NOT asked to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a game. And for that reason, Dak is nowhere near being an MVP. Not when his primary job as a QB is to hand the ball off.


LOL, I love that term, "game manager"....people use "game manager" when for some reason they don't like the team/player. It seems by your definition, when you are executing the offense as called, you are a "game manager". By that definition, perhaps the biggest game manager ever was Joe Montana. Look at what he had. Roger Craig was a perennial pro bowler. Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver ever. They consistently had a top 5 defense and a top 3 O line. Montana wasn't great, he was just "managing" Bill Walshs game plan, right?


Same for Brady? I mean Garrapolo was 3-1 without him. I guess Brady really isn't that good, its about managing the game


see how idiotic that "game manager" title is
 
Old 11-22-2016, 02:14 PM
 
32,498 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Reputation: 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Small details...

Camera was on Dak while sitting on the bench against the Ravens... he turned to the back to throw a cup in the trash can and missed... got up, picked it up off the ground and put it in the trash.

I know he is doing well on the field, but that gave me respect for him as a person... in that he was brought up with some values. I see players all the time mindlessly throw trash on the ground during the games - and this is in all pro sports. I guess that's what I was brought up to do and I passed that on to my kids, and it's good to see at least one NFL player show some personal discipline with the small things.

Thumbs up for Dak.
i saw that too, and it was good to see him being responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Y'all's standards are so incredibly low for these people, aren't they?

I disagree with everyone saying the Cowboys would have this good a season without Dak, though.
Romo couldn't have done it (even if he hadn't broken his back).
The kid is doing incredibly well and his poise is really something else.
the big things are easy, its the little things that count. prescott is well grounded and doesnt have too high an opinion of himself.

as for romo, i agree that the team would be doing about as well as they are now with prescott if romo was in the game, however i think that instead of being 9-1 they would be more like 8-2 or even 7-3. sometimes, even these days, romo succumbs to the pressure and throws a bad pass or two that results in an interception and costs the team a victory. for instance in the first 7 games of the season, prescott went 6-1, threw 9td passes vs 2 interceptions. in romos last 7 games, he went 6-1 and threw 14td passes, but threw 8 interceptions. i think had romo been running the offense in the last 7 games, the cowboys would have lost at least one more game this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Dak is not even close to being an MVP. He's a game manager. Look at his stats, Dak Prescott is 20th in pass attempts per game, and 16th in yards. That's game manager territory. Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Tom Brady, Drew Brees are all ahead of Dak IMO.

Dak might have the ability to be more than a game manager, but as of right now, his primary job is to turn around and hand it off to Zeke. Not his fault, Dak is only running the offense that is being called.

But unlike true "gunslinger" QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Eli....Dak Prescott IS NOT asked to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a game. And for that reason, Dak is nowhere near being an MVP. Not when his primary job as a QB is to hand the ball off.
actually prescott IS being asked to put the team on his shoulders. and maybe he isnt throwing 40 times per game because he doesnt need to. there is more to being a quarterback than just throwing passes. a good QB reads the defenses, and if he sees something that might hurt a pass play, he calls the audible and either hands the ball off, or runs it himself.

all too often these days we think a good QB has to pass all the time to be good, and that just isnt the case. i think you are underestimating prescott and all that he does during the games. teams these days dont go 9-1 with a "game manager" at the helm.

as i noted before, its the little things that make or break a team, and right now prescott is doing the little things right. things like, not taking a sack and putting the team out of field goal range, or not forcing a ball to a receiver and throwing an interception, or calling the right audible at the right time, or making the decision to take off and run the ball instead of waiting for a receiver to get open.
 
Old 11-22-2016, 05:13 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,064,056 times
Reputation: 11850
Most betting sites have Brady still as the favorite to win the MVP, of those that do have a rookie winning its Elliott not Prescott leading...

NFL: Who Vegas is Picking to Win the 2016 MVP Award

https://sports.bovada.lv/football/nf...d-201612311259
 
Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,653 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Reputation: 32369
I'm picking Carr for MVP as of right now. Dallas has the best O-line in football and a barrage of talent at the skill positions which IMO why Dak has been awesome this year. The Pats went 3-1 without Brady which speaks to BB's genius as a coach. The Pats got by without Brady. Matt Ryan? No way I've seen that mirage too many times before.

Derek Carr, gets no help from his awful defense and a mediocre running game at best and lights it up. The man threw some of the most gorgeous passes I've seen last night with what looked like a flick of the wrist.
 
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM
 
32,498 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Reputation: 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm picking Carr for MVP as of right now. Dallas has the best O-line in football and a barrage of talent at the skill positions which IMO why Dak has been awesome this year. The Pats went 3-1 without Brady which speaks to BB's genius as a coach. The Pats got by without Brady. Matt Ryan? No way I've seen that mirage too many times before.

Derek Carr, gets no help from his awful defense and a mediocre running game at best and lights it up. The man threw some of the most gorgeous passes I've seen last night with what looked like a flick of the wrist.
not a bad choice for sure. i could go for carr being MVP. you can toss stafford into the mix there as the lions depend on him to keep their offense going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top