U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 PM

578 posts, read 330,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Brady had a whopping 6 career passing yards in his rookie year before stepping into Bledsoe's shoes in his second season. We all know how that ended. Dallas is 9-1 with a rookie QB and RB and they don't look to be stopping anytime soon.
Panthers last year were 10-0 at the time,ONE season means nothing!!!

Look at brady 99% of his seasons he is winning,dak is a rookie and come playoffs or mid season of the games they gonna loose!!!!

Old 11-23-2016, 03:06 AM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not a bad choice for sure. i could go for carr being MVP. you can toss stafford into the mix there as the lions depend on him to keep their offense going.
I think you could even argue Stafford over Carr because of the number of close games he has found a way to pull out with an even worse running game than Oakland and a defense just as bad as Oakland.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:06 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Dak belongs in the discussion. So does Elliott. I think you can also put Brady, Ryan, Stafford, and Wilson in the discussion. Peters and Collins as defensive players deserve to be mentioned, and I'll tell you something, if Washington beats Dallas and Cousins plays brilliantly, we may have to add him in there...

The MVP race is generally tight in most years, but it's probably more wide open than any year ever, this year. It's a very interesting season--a Top 5 quarterback this year (thru 11 weeks) is a rookie, the best running back in the game is a rookie, traditionally elite quarterbacks of years past (Rodgers, Big Ben, Romo (via injury)) have declined in play while there is a clear "passing-of-the-baton" to the young QB's of the future--Prescott, Cousins, Carr, Wilson, Stafford, Mariota, Winston. Officiating and kicking has disastrously impacted the game this year, and defense has slid remarkably over all, so the standout defensive players are MVP-worthy...

The MVP race will not be decided until Week 17 because there is so little seperation. If the Cowboys ran the table, or maybe dropped just one more game and finished 14-2, it's going to be very hard not to give it to Elliott or Dak. It's remarkable that Tom Brady has played so great at his age and after missing four games. He's going to be in the discussion but he isn't far and away the best QB in the game, there's about five other QB's you can put side to side and make a case for against Brady, but Brady's legend will drive his inclusion just as much as anything...

Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,565,696 times
So a quarterback that is NOT top 10 in any of the main QB stats should be MVP?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Panthers last year were 10-0 at the time,ONE season means nothing!!!

Look at brady 99% of his seasons he is winning,dak is a rookie and come playoffs or mid season of the games they gonna loose!!!!
I take it you don't grasp the irony of your original comment. Nor of the one above.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
So a quarterback that is NOT top 10 in any of the main QB stats should be MVP?
Is there a bigger QB stat than QB rating? You know he is ranked third in that right? And how about TD to INT ratio? He's ranked second in that one.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 AM

Some of you are being far to lenient wanting to include all these other players IMO. Things can certainly change as the season goes on, but as of right now, it's Dak, Carr and Brady. That's it. Cousins, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford they are just guys to keep an eye on for now. My feelings on Elliot again, he's having a good season, but he needs a much better YPC average to get MVP consideration. Especially for a season where we have three QBs playing this well.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Some of you are being far to lenient wanting to include all these other players IMO. Things can certainly change as the season goes on, but as of right now, it's Dak, Carr and Brady. That's it. Cousins, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford they are just guys to keep an eye on for now. My feelings on Elliot again, he's having a good season, but he needs a much better YPC average to get MVP consideration. Especially for a season where we have three QBs playing this well.
I don't think it's as cut-and-dry to say it's only a 3-man race. While I definitely don't think Derek Carr the player is overrated, I believe the season he is having in relation to other guys is overrated. Why should I vote him as MVP over Matt Ryan, for instance? And I agree with the inclusion of Prescott into the discussion, but if he's in the discussion, it opens a can of worms to other players who are having fantastic seasons but doing just as much or more with less (Wilson, for example, who is clearly a better QB and has done it with a nonexistent running game and disappearing OL)...

It's not so simple as stats and ratings, although I do take all of that into account, there is the on-the-field product and the circumstances each candidate has had to deal with individually...

Landon Collins has been the best player for the New York Giants this year. He's probably been the best defensive player this year, really only Marcus Peters and Aaron Donald can go into that discussion, maybe Kam Chancellor--who has been on a tear since he came back--if he closes the year with this same output, Chancellor could be mentioned. But Landon Collins should be mentioned as an MVP candidate...

This isn't a year where 2 or 3 guys are lapping the field for MVP. Dak Prescott is arguably not even the best player on his own team, Tom Brady missed four games, I just witnessed Derek Carr throw the stupidest interception on Monday night and he struggled mightily in the loss to the Chiefs. No QB is having a Brady 2007 or Manning 2013 year. It's not as clear as I think you believe it to be...

Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
I agree with Murksiderock on this one. While I think Prescott has been fantastic this year, he's blessed with being behind the best offensive line in football, and going against an easy schedule. He is not, by any means, a lock for MVP.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:43 AM

I don't believe he is a lock because of the other two QBs in the discussion currently. Six games is a lot to go still and others can make a move, but if things stay on the current trajectory, these are the three in the discussion.

We can throw out a bunch of IFs, like what if Carr and Dak lose three of their final six games. What if Cousins and Ryan win out? But we can do that all day and nobody knows. Just saying right now, it's a three player race.

I'm not sure why Elliot is getting so much hype. He needs to greatly improve his YPC. AP, the last RB to win the MVP award had a 6.0 average and that was with Christian Ponder as his QB. Elliot is having a fine season no doubt. But just not up to MVP standards. He still has time to get there with a few big games which he is capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football