U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:51 PM

32,479 posts, read 26,356,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
So a quarterback that is NOT top 10 in any of the main QB stats should be MVP?
there is more to being MVP than just statistics.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:27 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there is more to being MVP than just statistics.
The poster conviently doesn't consider QB rating a "main QB stat" either.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,057,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The poster conviently doesn't consider QB rating a "main QB stat" either.
Dak is having a very good season but truth is the MVP for the Dallas Cowboys is the O Line....then Zeke...then Dak...Prescott would need historic numbers to win a MVP as a rookie, his numbers are good but not "historic"

Take the running game away and Prescott doesn't have near the success he is having.

Not saying the "so called experts" are always right but you can go to any NFL site, betting site, discussion site etc and I don't think a single one has Dak even in the top 5 for MVP discussion...

Most sites have it as a race between Brady, Ryan and Carr....Prescott is never even mentioned...

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/6/13...yan-derek-carr

NFL awards picks: Who deserves to win MVP in 2016? | SI.com

NFL executives make MVP picks - ABC News

NFL picks vs. the spread, Week 11: NFL MVP race is Tom Brady's to lose | NOLA.com

Tom Brady and the Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates | GiveMeSport

You are entitled to your opinion, but its not one shared by many including most who get paid to comment on these races for a living...

You are right about it being a 3 man race right now but the 3 men are Brady, Ryan and Carr at this point

Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM

1,281 posts, read 505,346 times
If Dak can lead Dallas to a win on Thanksgiving, beat the Giants on 12/11 to win the East, then he gets my vote for MVP

Old 11-23-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Dak is having a very good season but truth is the MVP for the Dallas Cowboys is the O Line....then Zeke...then Dak...Prescott would need historic numbers to win a MVP as a rookie, his numbers are good but not "historic"

Take the running game away and Prescott doesn't have near the success he is having.

Not saying the "so called experts" are always right but you can go to any NFL site, betting site, discussion site etc and I don't think a single one has Dak even in the top 5 for MVP discussion...

Most sites have it as a race between Brady, Ryan and Carr....Prescott is never even mentioned...

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/6/13...yan-derek-carr

NFL awards picks: Who deserves to win MVP in 2016? | SI.com

NFL executives make MVP picks - ABC News

NFL picks vs. the spread, Week 11: NFL MVP race is Tom Brady's to lose | NOLA.com

Tom Brady and the Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates | GiveMeSport

You are entitled to your opinion, but its not one shared by many including most who get paid to comment on these races for a living...

You are right about it being a 3 man race right now but the 3 men are Brady, Ryan and Carr at this point

if you need more than a OLINE to perform on a high level as a NFL QB because there will be times when you are not protected like how dak had to run vs the eagles and steelers.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 PM

32,479 posts, read 26,356,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
If Dak can lead Dallas to a win on Thanksgiving, beat the Giants on 12/11 to win the East, then he gets my vote for MVP
remember there are still six games to go, if dallas goes 2-4, that give them an 11-5 record, and it might not be enough to win the division depending on what washington and new york do. it would however give dallas a wildcard berth at least.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
remember there are still six games to go, if dallas goes 2-4, that give them an 11-5 record, and it might not be enough to win the division depending on what washington and new york do. it would however give dallas a wildcard berth at least.
I know that's why tomorrow is a MUST WIN because they should have the division wrapped up before Christmas.

I can't believe I am saying this but I may have to root for the eagles in december when they play the giants and washington

Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It's a very interesting season--a Top 5 quarterback this year (thru 11 weeks) is a rookie, the best running back in the game is a rookie, traditionally elite quarterbacks of years past (Rodgers, Big Ben, Romo (via injury)) have declined in play while there is a clear "passing-of-the-baton" to the young QB's of the future--Prescott, Cousins, Carr, Wilson, Stafford, Mariota, Winston.
This was my post on post 23 of this thread, and might I add, damn do I know football!

Derek Carr, Dak Prescott headline spectacular young QB crop - NFL.com

There is a generational shift in quarterback play that is evident this year, unless you're living under a rock. The quarterbacks that have run the league for the last decade-plus are obviously still capable of getting the job done. Clearly, though, this isn't their league anymore. These young guys are set to be the new faces of the league, and rightfully so. For me, it's always exciting to watch new stars as they are born and older superstars exit gracefully...

Brady is still playing at the highest level, but he has two years, tops. That knee, it isn't serious right now but that's how it starts, it's the beginning of his body beginning to feel and act 39...Eli was never a great quarterback he's a 2x champion and deserves a mention because of that. He's been durable throughout his career but I think the makings are in the works for a shift. It likely won't be next year, but at 13 years in, the Giants will start searching for a young gun within the next 2-3 years, even if he can still play...

Big Ben's productivity has dropped and honestly can you see his body allowing him to play beyond three more seasons? Aaron Rodgers can still be very, very good, but he's no longer an elite, top-5 talent. If this was about one season, it would be a "down year", but the fact that this is two "down years" in a row suggests a pattern of decline. Fortunately for him and Packers fans, his decline is coming down from an enormously high peak, and he's clearly still got plenty of football left in him, he ain't going anywhere. The team has to get better around him but I think if we're all being honest, we're not watching the prime killer that he was anymore...I can see him having a late career resurgence, though, a la Rich Gannon and Brett Favre...

Brees probably has 2-3 years, he's actually had a very nice bounce-back season and an argument can be made that he's been the best QB in the game this year. He got robbed of at least one MVP in his career...Palmer was arguably the best QB in the game last year, but I think we all know he's finished. If Romo continues to play he's got a 2-3 year window. So just to hammer my earlier point home, this is clearly a passing the torch year. The old guard of the last decade is giving way to the new breed...

And while I don't like the Cowboys, I am excited to see what the future holds fir Dak Prescott. He's got the goods...

Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Bill, my opinion, Derek Carr is the most valuable player (to date).

Feel like if Prescott got hurt, Dallas could fall back on a killer run game, fall back on Romo, etc. They would remain stout without Prescott.
But if Oakland lost Carr to injury.. imo, they're finished. Carr is carrying that team, and is getting little help from Raider defense (they're giving up close to 400 yards/game & 25 points/game). I believe Carr's more valuable to his squad than Prescott..
You only have to convince the VOTERs what MVP really means.. most simply vote for the player with the highest stats ignoring the players actual VALUE to a team. !

Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
You only have to convince the VOTERs what MVP really means.. most simply vote for the player with the highest stats ignoring the players actual VALUE to a team. !
That's always been the definition of MVP. The award is not going to go to a QB on a 9-7 football team just because if he were removed from the team they would be a two win team.

It's not just stats though, team record does come into play. I believe you have to have great stats and be on one of the top teams in the league that year. For the current season, Brady, Carr and Dak all fit that definition with their teams currently holding the three best records in the league.

We get exceptions every now and then if a player has a really great statistical season like AP in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football