Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:33 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times

Advertisements

America's National Anthem should be treated with R-E-S-P-E-C-T by both the Colin Kaepernick wannabes and the American Idol/Voice/screamers... who want us to wow their activism and "beautiful" yodeling/screaming.

Activists who have a problem with America can stay put in the locker room until the Anthem is over.

Military bands need to take over the presentation of our National Anthem, as they will present it correctly and with all due respect. The look-at-me/listen-to-my-voice yodelers & screamers can go back to amateur hour.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:40 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
I thought it was awful. Very cringeworthy rendition.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Shocking in a country that has proven itself racist and misogynistic there would be any issue with Aretha Franklin singing the National Anthem. *eyeroll* Perhaps a random WGWG (white guy with a guitar) would have been far more appropriate?

Old 11-25-2016, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
America's National Anthem should be treated with R-E-S-P-E-C-T by both the Colin Kaepernick wannabes and the American Idol/Voice/screamers... who want us to wow their activism and "beautiful" yodeling/screaming.

Activists who have a problem with America can stay put in the locker room until the Anthem is over.

Military bands need to take over the presentation of our National Anthem, as they will present it correctly and with all due respect. The look-at-me/listen-to-my-voice yodelers & screamers can go back to amateur hour.
Have you heard Jordin Sparks sing it? She is awesome. I love, love, love her rendition. Plus...she's a member of the Birdgang.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
While I agree Aretha absolutely butchered the National Anthem, she is the queen and pretty much a national treasure. It was just great seeing her out there. She has definitely earned the right to massacre the National Anthem however she wants. Obviously each artist is going to interpret the Anthem differently and as long as someone doesn't blatantly mock the song, like Roseanne Barr, I have no problem with hearing a different arrangement. Viewers can always cover their ears or mute it if they don't like what they're hearing. I chose to listen to Aretha's version and couldn't believe how bad it was. But, then again, I just think it's great she's still singing after being in the business over 50 years.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:24 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Most people perform "The Star-Spangled Banner" too slowly.

It should be at march tempo, not funeral dirge tempo.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you heard Jordin Sparks sing it? She is awesome. I love, love, love her rendition. Plus...she's a member of the Birdgang.
Jordin respects God, people, America & herself. She is very unique!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:05 PM

158 posts, read 73,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Shocking in a country that has proven itself racist and misogynistic there would be any issue with Aretha Franklin singing the National Anthem. *eyeroll* Perhaps a random WGWG (white guy with a guitar) would have been far more appropriate?
Does playing the race card ever get old?

Old 11-26-2016, 05:02 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Agree with the last poster. I love Aretha Franklin, who isn't a Motown fan? But good God that rendition was too long and in my opinion terrible. If I can't express that opinion without being called a racist I think we have identified who the racist is here.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:57 AM

158 posts, read 73,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Agree with the last poster. I love Aretha Franklin, who isn't a Motown fan? But good God that rendition was too long and in my opinion terrible. If I can't express that opinion without being called a racist I think we have identified who the racist is here.
Exactly. If a white CW star came out and tried to sing the NA to some twangy background, I would have the same issue. For the record, once of the best renditions I ever heard was when Whitney Houston sung it at the SB....yea, she was black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football