U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,430 times

Advertisements

On the other hand, the NFL is more interesting now in some ways. Seeing teams like Oakland, Atlanta, and Dallas doing well is pretty refreshing. The playoffs will have lots of new teams, and both wild card races will be a joy to watch down the stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:53 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
If your a fringe fan then Kaep's antics MIGHT keep you from watching but if your a big fan, his antics would just annoy you. it would not keep you from watching. Besides, the Castro T Shirt was from back in the Summer (I THINK) its just now being mentioned..

Anyhoot, here is my theory. Technology has given NFL fans more options for watching games. I never watch a Sunday Night game or a Monday NIght game in its entirety anymore. I just record/pause and pick it up in the morning.. I imagine other fans have other ways of watching as well.

Also, kids today can't sit still long enough to watch an entire game. When i was my sons age, i wouldn't miss a minute of a football game..but my son, who is a big fan simply can't make it through an entire game. Maybe he is just the exception but the NFL simply can't hold his attention for 3 plus hours. I also think there are more concerned parents who do not want their kids playing football and the best way to keep them from WANTING to play is to keep them from watching it and the best way to keep your kid from watching it is by not watching it yourself...

I do think there is a point to this over saturation theory. I don't watch the Thursday night games... when i was very young, i was always anxious to watch every second of the NFL that i could. I can specifically remember how anxious i was to watch the Hall of Fame Game each summer, regardless of who was playing.. now we are inundated with so much year round NFL and sports in general that i know longer MISS it, if you will. Its almost as if there is no off season.

I am sure there are even more reasons, but i think its a little bit of everything but technology today gives us more ways to watch but also MORE things to do with our spare time vs sitting on a couch and watching football all day long...

Old 11-29-2016, 03:11 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
If your a fringe fan then Kaep's antics MIGHT keep you from watching but if your a big fan, his antics would just annoy you. it would not keep you from watching. Besides, the Castro T Shirt was from back in the Summer (I THINK) its just now being mentioned..

Anyhoot, here is my theory. Technology has given NFL fans more options for watching games. I never watch a Sunday Night game or a Monday NIght game in its entirety anymore. I just record/pause and pick it up in the morning.. I imagine other fans have other ways of watching as well.

Also, kids today can't sit still long enough to watch an entire game. When i was my sons age, i wouldn't miss a minute of a football game..but my son, who is a big fan simply can't make it through an entire game. Maybe he is just the exception but the NFL simply can't hold his attention for 3 plus hours. I also think there are more concerned parents who do not want their kids playing football and the best way to keep them from WANTING to play is to keep them from watching it and the best way to keep your kid from watching it is by not watching it yourself...

I do think there is a point to this over saturation theory. I don't watch the Thursday night games... when i was very young, i was always anxious to watch every second of the NFL that i could. I can specifically remember how anxious i was to watch the Hall of Fame Game each summer, regardless of who was playing.. now we are inundated with so much year round NFL and sports in general that i know longer MISS it, if you will. Its almost as if there is no off season.

I am sure there are even more reasons, but i think its a little bit of everything but technology today gives us more ways to watch but also MORE things to do with our spare time vs sitting on a couch and watching football all day long...

TiVo, at least, reports next day viewership back to neilsen, so.. if you "Time Shift" a game, you still get counted towards the ratings. This is partially the difference between 'overnight' ratings and the final rating number.

Watching a game on ESPN app, or similar.. Yeah.. Those aren't being counted so far as I know.

I agree with you on the oversat.. I remember when the Sunday Night game was first introduced. I'm sure there's some fans on here who remember when MNF premiered. Now.. It's damn near football every night of the week and it's too much. The problem with Thursday and Monday games.. Those matchups are decided well before the season starts, so.. it's a crap shoot.. At least the Sunday Night game can be flexed late in the season and you can have a quality game, or at least a meaningful game.

They scrapped the December Saturday games, right? Those I minded less, but still, if you're doing Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.. Too much.

Last edited by Labonte18; 11-29-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 03:28 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The penalties, man. There needs to be modifications to allow the defense to play again. Case in point, this came up twice tonight, allowing DL to jump back to position if they encroach the neutral zone before the snap, instead of it being an automatic call. They've handicapped defenses to an unbelievable level. It's hard on the eyes and it does take some of the fun out of the game...

I definitely agree with changing the way they officiate late hits and unnecessary roughness and roughing the passer. I brought up an example I saw in the Cowboys-Steelers game, they are extremely ticky-tack with these hits on the offense...

These excessive celebration penalties are way out of hand. A few years ago I said it was stupid that they banned players from dunking the ball over the goalpost. Then they went and outlawed "shooting" the ball over the goalposts like a jump shot. Why is the cutthroat gesture outlawed? These are all grown men, paid professional athletes, handsomely paid I might add. If the throat slash gesture is offensive, they're in the wrong sport...99% of these penalties aren't even excessive....

And of course, Thursday nights, they gotta go. I like the season starting on a Thursday, I like Thanksgiving, probably could do a stretch run of TNF in the last four weeks, but that's about it. And take them off NFL Network, at least exclusively...

Also, get back to practice. There is pretty much one day of contact practice per week now, right? That has to be effecting the quality of play we see on Sundays. Nobody thinks practice should be full blast like a game, but damn, maybe spending more time hitting will fix this horrendous tackling problem the NFL has...

Am I the only one who finds the above highlighted sentence FUNNY...

I think the better question would be: WHY DO GROWN MEN make the cut throat gesture? But perhaps its just me..

Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM

141 posts, read 93,679 times
I don't think they should get rid of them entirely, just scale back where there isn't one every week. Have better match-ups which could include rivalries, prior year playoff rematches etc. Having the occasional Thursday night game can be refreshing and welcomed if done the right way.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:30 PM

23,647 posts, read 33,445,874 times
I think there is a precedent that fans can't expect good quality football with only 3 days rest for the team playing on Thursday. I'd say keep the Thanksgiving games (maybe the season opener) but the rest of the season should stick to Sunday or Monday.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:31 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Thanksgiving is not the Thursday problem the NFL has, and never has been.

This is only about all of the other NFL Thursdays.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 PM

158 posts, read 49,654 times
Get rid of the London/Mexico games....get rid of all Thursday night games with the exception of Thanksgiving....On Thanksgiving, Detroit plays at 12:30, Dallas plays at 4:30....no need to change that....I like the 8:30 Thanksgiving night game, let's keep that

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,331,159 times
In addition to all the analysis that is being offered here (and I agree with almost all of it) I would like to throw in my angle: I don't like the style in which the game is played any longer. As someone who has watched the NFL regularly since 1976, I remember the likes of Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, then later, Eric Dickerson and Barry Sanders. I happen to be a fan of the running game. In the case of today's NFL, the rules have been changed to encourage teams to utilize the pass to an unprecedented level. The rules changes therefore put a premium on the quality of quarterback play. But there aren't enough good quarterbacks to match the level of talent that the rules changes allow quarterbacks to have. More frighteningly, in my opinion, what qualifies as the really talented quarterback in the league now are all over 30 years old, with the possible exception of Andrew Luck. David Carr is another possible exception. But I digress: look back 30 years ago, and you have a capsule of a different game. Power was more emphasized over finesse. I like that. Today you are featuring quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every Aaron Rodgers, there are four quarterbacks like Brock Osweiler, Colin Kaepernick, RG III, and Sam Bradford.

Remember when the standard formation in the NFL was a two WR, TE, a FB and a lead running back? It wasn't that long ago. The team that comes the closest to playing a style of football I identify with today is the Dallas Cowboys. (Too bad I am a Giants fan) The Cowboys don't do anything very flashy. They have four exceptional offensive lineman, and come out to smash you in the mouth. That's the NFL, to me. Again, watch NFL Films from the 70s and the 80s. It's a superior product, in every fashion except for the wide receiver play. Receivers today are better than ever. The other positions not as much.

There was an article I read online last week that I would like to share. It drills down and really, really encapsulates, in my estimation, what is wrong with the game, in terms of game play. Please read this analysis as it is invaluable: https://www.all22.com/nfl/todays-nfl...-contradiction

Here is an excerpt:

"Suddenly it was back to reality. Pro football 2016. Today’s NFL, where the running game is often just an exercise in take away. First up, Bears versus Giants. Chicago’s leading rusher for the game is Jordan Howard (17 carries, 77 yards). Take away his longest run (27 yards) and he’s at 3.1 per carry for the afternoon. On the New York side is Rashad Jennings, the Giants’ top gainer. He goes for 85 yards on 21 attempts. Same deal. Take away his longest run (21) and he’s good for 3.2/carry. Plebian numbers. Guy-off-the-street numbers.
And all of this coming from the same, dull, cookie-cutter formation used by both offenses — the shotgun. Three or four wide receivers, with the quarterbacks both lined up 7 yards behind center. Beside them stands a lone running back, flat-footed, like a guy at the turnpike booth waiting for his ticket. On running calls he takes the ball from a dead standstill, then is expected to pick and dodge his way through the maze of bodies that are churning in front of him.
Rarely is there any lead blocking. Instead of exploding through the hole, it’s dance into the fire. For an all-timer like Sayers, maybe it wouldn’t be as much of a problem … the dodging and dashing was his first nature. But for the average NFL back trying to make a living, the deck is loaded against him in the shotgun setup. And in terms of aesthetics, it’s distortion on display.
Not just in Chicago or New York. It’s the same way all over the league now, a gang of clones on parade. Pro running games are now overwhelmingly based out of an overt passing setup. It makes no sense. It’s like operating your passing attack from the short-yardage formation, the heavy jumbo alignment. Send in the fullback and the extra tight ends, boys. We’re going deep! It’s pure contradiction, like Alice at the Tea Party with the Hatter spinning riddles … the March Hare offering wine when there isn’t any."

Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
Report: NFL will ditch early-morning London games | ProFootballTalk

This article claims the early a.m. games from London will change, but the Thursday night games stay. League meetings for 2017 won't happen until this season is over, so this could change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or