U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 AM

10,837 posts, read 14,860,540 times

Advertisements

We hope the Thursday games are dropped. Only a % of them are able to be viewed other than on the NFL Channel. No one is likely to buy a higher cost cable package just to get their channel for 4-5 events a year and maybe 3 hours for each event. Hopefully the NFL Channel opens the games to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 AM

6,620 posts, read 10,679,859 times
I indeed hope the NFL drops the Thursday night game, including Thanksgiving.

Also no London, no Mexico.

Heck, I hope they would drop the Sunday night game, but that's been in force for a while, and of course Monday night is a long established tradition.

So NFL ratings have dropped and Thursday night most of all.

I think the main reason, especially for Thursday night, is oversaturation.

I suppose the second reason is, because of oversaturation, poor match-ups: most of the league is mediocre to begin with, so it's plain mathematical that Sunday, Monday and Thursday night match-ups are mostly mediocre, if not worse. If the NFL were to limit single games to Monday night, like it used to be years ago, then much better chance of a high quality match-up and an interested national audience.

I would also add that today with youtube and similar, it is possible to watch full highlights only several hours after each and every game on demand.

Too many and too long commercial breaks are an annoyance, but not a deal-breaker for a viewer who watches one or two or three games a week - one or two on Sunday, one on Monday - but if you add in four (Sunday night) and five (Thursday), that's stupid territory.

Players' on-field antics, namely celebrating a good but non-TD play, are annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

Players' sideline and off-field antics and the news surrounding them are avoidable by filtering mass media news feeds, ignoring mass media news headlines that do sneak through, not watching pregame shows, and turning on the television five minutes after the scheduled time, i.e. after player introductions and the national anthem (how pathetic).

I do not perceive too many penalties interfering with the game, to me it seems pretty much the same as always and in the end the officiating more or less balances out.

Anyway, a good first step to restoring a fully inclusive and more satisfying and NFL experience for the average fan would be to eliminate Thursday night games.

In the end, any decision will probably be based on profit-maximization for the League and its constituents.

Last edited by bale002; 11-30-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM

4,849 posts, read 6,365,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Report: NFL will ditch early-morning London games | ProFootballTalk

This article claims the early a.m. games from London will change, but the Thursday night games stay. League meetings for 2017 won't happen until this season is over, so this could change.
But they're still playing in London and only opting to not broadcast the game nationally at an earlier time.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:05 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Thanksgiving is not the Thursday problem the NFL has, and never has been.

This is only about all of the other NFL Thursdays.
The Dallas-Washington game from this past Thanksgiving drew better ratings than any NBA game ever - apart from Game 7 of the 1998 Finals. It also drew better ratings than 81 of the last 82 World Series games - the exception being game 7 of this year's World Series. Needless to say Thanksgiving is indeed not the problem as you say.

When they first started with Thursday Night games, they only ran for 4 or 5 weeks of the season if I remember correctly. That was nice and made it a treat. But now that there's a Thursday Night game for 16 of 17 weeks it's lost its luster.

Get rid of them and move back to only Sundays and Monday Nights and of course the Thanksgiving slate.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,127,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Dallas-Washington game from this past Thanksgiving drew better ratings than any NBA game ever - apart from Game 7 of the 1998 Finals. It also drew better ratings than 81 of the last 82 World Series games - the exception being game 7 of this year's World Series. Needless to say Thanksgiving is indeed not the problem as you say.

When they first started with Thursday Night games, they only ran for 4 or 5 weeks of the season if I remember correctly. That was nice and made it a treat. But now that there's a Thursday Night game for 16 of 17 weeks it's lost its luster.

Get rid of them and move back to only Sundays and Monday Nights and of course the Thanksgiving slate.
Absolutely spot on.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,890 times
The product delivered on Thursday night is generally inferior.
The games are usually pretty mediocre matchups, the play is poor, and the overall telecast is also not the best.
Most people agree that the Nfl can phase Thursday nights out, except for maybe a couple of telecasts a year.
The nfl believes more is a good thing----only with Thursday night it is very wrong.
Spare us these horrendous matchups, and in the process maybe improve the quality of Monday Night Football----Espns schedule this year has been very ordinary----for the amount of money they are paying the Nfl they deserve better matchups, as do the viewers.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,181,378 times
The teams that meet on TNF both have only three days rest. However the teams they both face in their next game have three days less rest than they do. Is that fair to the team with only seven days rest?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:41 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,179,038 times
I hope so. Hate the Thursday games!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,260,972 times
Guys, let's be honest, it's all about money.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 PM

1,281 posts, read 505,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The NFL is blaming less viewers this season on too many games. They claim that less games would consolidate viewers to less games. They continue to blather that 'Kaepernick' is not the cause of less viewers.
Why do you think there are less viewers?
I think it's the antics of Kaepernick and his latest wearing of a Castro tee shirt.
The celebrations of players after every play. Getting paid millions of dollars a year to play football and celebrating what they get paid to do.
Commercials- a 60 minute game averages 3 hours 8 minutes. Too many commercial breaks that seem like everyone is a 2 minute warning break. Kick off/punt 4 seconds of play and 2 minutes of commercials. Too many commercials in the break and many commercials are ridiculous with people casting.
12 minute half time is 6 minutes of commercials.
They should only do them starting with Thanksgiving and after. I feel it;s no need to watch a Thursday night game in September. Years ago Thursday Night Football meant Christmas lights, cold weather, and the almost ending of the regular season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or