U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM

6,860 posts, read 9,310,530 times

Advertisements

The NFL is blaming less viewers this season on too many games. They claim that less games would consolidate viewers to less games. They continue to blather that 'Kaepernick' is not the cause of less viewers.
Why do you think there are less viewers?
I think it's the antics of Kaepernick and his latest wearing of a Castro tee shirt.
The celebrations of players after every play. Getting paid millions of dollars a year to play football and celebrating what they get paid to do.
Commercials- a 60 minute game averages 3 hours 8 minutes. Too many commercial breaks that seem like everyone is a 2 minute warning break. Kick off/punt 4 seconds of play and 2 minutes of commercials. Too many commercials in the break and many commercials are ridiculous with people casting.
12 minute half time is 6 minutes of commercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:39 PM

357 posts, read 156,097 times
Great decision if true.

The evidence is there. How many straight up flat performances have we seen the last few years from these games? Not to mention that it's been on the NFL Network (which a large population doesn't have) & in my case this year I use Sling and the NFL Network is blacked out through there, so Twitter was my only option.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,296,040 times
The NFL's sagging ratings are two-fold.
  1. Oversaturation. There's no need for three separate nights of prime-time football. SNF and MNF are fine. Thursday Night Football is overkill (and the matchups usually suck). Also, drop one of the Thanksgiving Day games. Dallas and Detroit should be the only teams playing on Turkey Day.
  2. Too many penalties. DBs can't even breathe on a wide receiver without drawing a PI call. Swallow the damn whistle and let them play.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:01 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,265,624 times
Yeah I don't like them either. Thanksgiving games are fine. Bluescreen, while I generally agree with you, but I don't think the third Thanksgiving game will go away.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,563,300 times
I'm reading everywhere about the NFL viewership being way down, but Thursday games the most.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,134,638 times
Quote:
NFL considers dropping thursday night game
Thursdays have been fading for a while. Ratings drops have been caused by numerous reasons. It's time to bid farewell to this particular facet of the NFL.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,373,588 times
The problem with Thursday Night Football is that the NFL acts flabbergasted that no one wants to watch Tennessee v Jacksonville. To hold a national audience the match-up needs to be worth tuning into. Sunday is easy but on a weeknight there's competition from regular programming. Over any period of time they have to expect fluctuation if they're not willing to provided consistent quality match-ups on Thursday night.

Overall, I think cable cutting is a huge factor as is the Red Zone Channel and people searching out illegal streams online. Sunday Ticket is cool but there's still a lot of people that can't afford it. I hit up a bar each Sunday because my team is out of market. Sometimes I watch the afternoon games at home.

It's not always worth it, though. The commercials are too plentiful and redundant and I'd rather read a book at times.

They come up with too many dumb new rules and penalties. Referees are becoming a factor all too often. Roger Goodell is a joke. The league cares more about a deflated football than CTE. People can get turned off.

One scenario the NFL must not want to even consider is that the NFL might take a bit of a tumble after so many years on top. Things don't always rise. There's bound to be dips in the road.

I'd like to see some of the dumb penalties, like the spot foul for pass interference, modified. Maybe adopt the NCAA style OT. I'm actually surprised that looking the quarterback in the eye isn't a 15 yard penalty.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,843,955 times
The penalties, man. There needs to be modifications to allow the defense to play again. Case in point, this came up twice tonight, allowing DL to jump back to position if they encroach the neutral zone before the snap, instead of it being an automatic call. They've handicapped defenses to an unbelievable level. It's hard on the eyes and it does take some of the fun out of the game...

I definitely agree with changing the way they officiate late hits and unnecessary roughness and roughing the passer. I brought up an example I saw in the Cowboys-Steelers game, they are extremely ticky-tack with these hits on the offense...

These excessive celebration penalties are way out of hand. A few years ago I said it was stupid that they banned players from dunking the ball over the goalpost. Then they went and outlawed "shooting" the ball over the goalposts like a jump shot. Why is the cutthroat gesture outlawed? These are all grown men, paid professional athletes, handsomely paid I might add. If the throat slash gesture is offensive, they're in the wrong sport...99% of these penalties aren't even excessive....

And of course, Thursday nights, they gotta go. I like the season starting on a Thursday, I like Thanksgiving, probably could do a stretch run of TNF in the last four weeks, but that's about it. And take them off NFL Network, at least exclusively...

Also, get back to practice. There is pretty much one day of contact practice per week now, right? That has to be effecting the quality of play we see on Sundays. Nobody thinks practice should be full blast like a game, but damn, maybe spending more time hitting will fix this horrendous tackling problem the NFL has...

Old 11-28-2016, 10:28 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,514,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The NFL's sagging ratings are two-fold.
  1. Oversaturation. There's no need for three separate nights of prime-time football. SNF and MNF are fine. Thursday Night Football is overkill (and the matchups usually suck). Also, drop one of the Thanksgiving Day games. Dallas and Detroit should be the only teams playing on Turkey Day.
  2. Too many penalties. DBs can't even breathe on a wide receiver without drawing a PI call. Swallow the damn whistle and let them play.
I disagree with getting rid of the Thanksgiving night game, I think it makes things more interesting. I agree with getting rid of TNF. Often boring divisional games, not very interesting. But I agree with the rest. Also, Manning is gone, Brady missed 4 games, Rodgers hasn't been great (or at least the Packers haven't), and Brees getting old has a lot to do with it. Even the new guys... Seattle has had its struggles, Newton and the Panthers are having a bad year, and Luck's career has been pretty disastrous the past couple years.

Also stop with the stupid London games. And the mexico game.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:35 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,265,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Also stop with the stupid London games. And the mexico game.
London games are ridiculous though it's all about money. If they really want to play games outside the USA, do it in Canada, I don't care if it'd be in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or