Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:07 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
^^The NFL is a business that needs to protect it's greatest assets. It needs to protect it's biggest stars, and it's teams with the largest fan bases.

There is a reason players like Cam Newton get no calls at all while players like Aaron Rodgers get flags if a defense-man so much as breathes in their direction.

There is a reason players like Josh Norman get flagged for EVERYTHING, while players like Richard Sherman get away with murder.

Cam was the MVP, I think he is considered a star. I am a Redskins fan and I don't see how Norman is being picked on, if anything it's for his mouth and IMO he brought that on himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
^^The NFL is a business that needs to protect it's greatest assets. It needs to protect it's biggest stars, and it's teams with the largest fan bases.

There is a reason players like Cam Newton get no calls at all while players like Aaron Rodgers get flags if a defense-man so much as breathes in their direction.

There is a reason players like Josh Norman get flagged for EVERYTHING, while players like Richard Sherman get away with murder.

I could be WRONG, but i would have thought the Redskins have a BIGGER fan base than the SEAHAWKS...

Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

norman brings a lot of his problems on himself. and often times he doesnt get penalized as often as he should mostly because the other player tends to respond to norman hothead, which mitigates the issue.

cam newton and, when he was still playing, michael vick, both were beaten up until recently, with a rare roughing penalty called in their favor. in fact a lot of QBs have gotten roughed regularly without a roughing penalty called, its part of the game.

if the refs followed the rules closely, then you could call a penalty on every play, usually holding or illegal contact. but what fun would that be?

Old 11-29-2016, 05:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
norman brings a lot of his problems on himself. and often times he doesnt get penalized as often as he should mostly because the other player tends to respond to norman hothead, which mitigates the issue.

cam newton and, when he was still playing, michael vick, both were beaten up until recently, with a rare roughing penalty called in their favor. in fact a lot of QBs have gotten roughed regularly without a roughing penalty called, its part of the game.

if the refs followed the rules closely, then you could call a penalty on every play, usually holding or illegal contact. but what fun would that be?
Oh, I agree that they shouldn't be calling penalties often... in fact, I think they call penalties way too often as it is. It's just funny to me how there seems to be a double standard, and some penalties will get more penalties in their favor than others. They need to at least be fair and consistent.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,123 times
And I know I've not been impressed with officiating, but let's be honest here, referees are humans and they make the same mistakes as everybody does.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Consistency is key, RightonWalnut is right. Sometimes there definitely seems to be a double standard. When you take a big QB like Big Ben or Cam, they deserve the same calls as other QBs.

Players with motor mouths, overly aggressive have to expect they will get targeted. It happens to Mike Daniels on the Packers and he deserves it, he does some bonehead stuff sometimes. On the other hand, the coaches don't want to take away or curb his enthusiasm, just be smarter, pick his battles better.

MCO, I saw a list at CBS Sports on fan bases, it was Cowboys #1, Pats and Pack, tied for 2, Steelers #3 and Seahawks next with Raiders following them. The surprise to me was Giants and Redskins around 10 or 11 somewhere. Of course, how do they measure fan base anyway, although I know Packers are worldwide. Their website, media, etc., rank #1 or 2 with the NFL every year. Their Packers Everywhere map is amazing.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
It feels like the refereeing has been getting worse over the years.

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist...but I am absolutely convinced that there are a few "media darling" teams that get the benefits of some calls.

For example, let's say it's 4th & goal from the 2 yard line. If Tom Brady throws incomplete into tight coverage and there's some contact that's close to a penalty, the refs will throw a flag...because it's Tom Brady. If it's Stafford, Mariotta, or Winston on that play....the refs might not throw a flag.

Goes the other way too. When there's clearly holding by a lineman on a big play for the A-list teams, the refs might swallow the whistle. But for non-media darling teams like TEN, DET, NYJ, etc.....the refs will throw a flag and bring the big play back.

Much like in the NBA when superstars LeBron, Curry, Harden, etc get fluff calls because of who they are. I firmly believe that this is also the case for the NFL's most popular teams. No, the games aren't flat out "rigged." But sometimes it feels like the refs will "do what they can" by throwing a questionable flag if it helps an A-list team win the game.

End of the day the NFL is a business and it loves ratings. When teams like the Patriots, Cowboys, Seahawks and Packers are doing well, it's good for the NFL. Hell, Goodell would probably give BOTH nuts for a Patriots-Cowboys superbowl, because it's good for business.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I like the final comment, and probably very true!

Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The REFs are reviewed after every game... Sure REFs blow calls, but i have yet to see a game this year where the REFs decided the outcome of a game by virtue of a blown call. I been watching for more years than i care to count and the REFs are no better/worse than they have been over that span. They can't see everything.. they just can't..
And the thing is, only the good officiating crews work the postseason just like in baseball, basketball, hockey, or whatever. Olmpy the good umpiring crews work the postseason.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I cut the refs some slack on missed calls.. if they miss an interference call, or a holding call.. I am ok with that.. they can't see everything.. its the phantom calls that drive me nuts.. the interference calls that were not there.. the holding penalty that didn't happen.. those drive me nuts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football