U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,858,489 times

Advertisements

Bring him to Buffalo!

Back off Denver, Arizona, and NY Jets!

Is it a gamble? Yes.

Does the potential reward out weight the risk? For the Bills? Yes.

I hear he wants to go to Denver. Can't blame him. However, despite the similarities to Peyton going to Denver, I just don't see Elway pulling the trigger on this one. Elway has to realize that sooner rather than later he needs to fully develope one of the young QBs he has and the best way to do that is to play them. He can also afford to play them and still be a contender with the defense so no drastic drop there. Also, Romo does present a lot more risk with not as much upside as Peyton did.

I am a little worried that Arizona may make a play for him though and still him away. Jets? Maybe but I don't think they get involved. I don't think any of the other QB needy teams are close enough to contending for Romo to have any interest. And while Dallas has the ability to trade him wherever they want, I think Jones has too much respect for Romo to send him off to a team with no chance to compete.

Another wild card could be the Texans if they want to give up on Brock already. Miami should give up on Tannehill but I see then giving him one more year.

I'll gladly give Dallas our first round pick this year or Marcel Dareus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 AM

32,465 posts, read 26,339,737 times
romo may decide to retire at the end of the season.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:45 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
romo may decide to retire at the end of the season.
And even if not, whatever he offers is rapidly approaching its expiration date.

Romo will turn 37 years old in the offseason. There are certainly quarterbacks who have had productive seasons at and beyond that age, but beyond the age of 35 an NFL quarterback's productivity tends to slip, and often with considerable swiftness. And it's one thing to roll the dice with an aging Peyton Manning or Brett Favre. But Tony Romo is neither.

On the other hand, that needs to be weighed against the prospects - long-term as well - of not signing Romo.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bring him to Buffalo!

Is it a gamble? Yes.

I hear he wants to go to Denver. Can't blame him. However, despite the similarities to Peyton going to Denver, I just don't see Elway pulling the trigger on this one. Elway has to realize that sooner rather than later he needs to fully develope one of the young QBs he has and the best way to do that is to play them. He can also afford to play them and still be a contender with the defense so no drastic drop there. Also, Romo does present a lot more risk with not as much upside as Peyton did.

I am a little worried that Arizona may make a play for him though and still him away. Jets? Maybe but I don't think they get involved. I don't think any of the other QB needy teams are close enough to contending for Romo to have any interest. And while Dallas has the ability to trade him wherever they want, I think Jones has too much respect for Romo to send him off to a team with no chance to compete.

Another wild card could be the Texans if they want to give up on Brock already. Miami should give up on Tannehill but I see then giving him one more year.

I am a BIG ROMO fan but I will be the first to admit that he is FOOLS GOLD. Way too inconsistent for my taste.
For the most part, Romo has not had the team around him to be a champion, but on a few occasions he has and things didn't work out well. The most latest example is 2014 when he played well all year and honestly played well in the playoffs despite the loss to the Packers.. he might have turned the corner but then an injury and DAK so we might never know. If he wants to play then he certainly can help a team like Buffalo, Jets, Cards or Broncos... just be ready for the 3 or 4 turnover game and pulling out some hair.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,858,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I am a BIG ROMO fan but I will be the first to admit that he is FOOLS GOLD. Way too inconsistent for my taste.
For the most part, Romo has not had the team around him to be a champion, but on a few occasions he has and things didn't work out well. The most latest example is 2014 when he played well all year and honestly played well in the playoffs despite the loss to the Packers.. he might have turned the corner but then an injury and DAK so we might never know. If he wants to play then he certainly can help a team like Buffalo, Jets, Cards or Broncos... just be ready for the 3 or 4 turnover game and pulling out some hair.
3-4 turnovers a game? Are we talking about the same Romo? Those numbers are even worse than a typical Eli Manning down year.

I would guess that any draft pick trade Jerry lulls off would involve some sort of escalator like 2nd round pick turns into a first round pick if Romo starts 60% of the games.

Either way, Bills will still have to draft a QB in the first three rounds this year I think.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:53 PM

158 posts, read 49,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bring him to Buffalo!

Is it a gamble? Yes.

If I had to pick, I would lean to Ariz/Denver....they are the 2 most ready teams and make most sense for a 36 yr old QB....I didn't really consider Buffalo, hmmmm, that is an interesting angle. I cant see him touching the Jets or Bears. as or right now, both teams are a dumpster fire. I cant imagine Houston is in play. The cap hit for Osweiller has to be huge, unless they are going to carry 2 20 mil $ QB's

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
I say Romo retires as a Cowboy.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Oh yea, thats the ROMO i remember.. he will be good/great for several games but he is gonna throw a dud out there just because and sometimes its at the most inopportune time. One thing that makes me question a trade is the contract. I am not sure Romo can demand the same salary he gets from the Cowboys so they will either restructure or the Cowboys will just release him and he can sign with any team..

Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Contrary to popular or ESPN belief, Romo is not a turnover machine. Especially later in his career.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:15 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times
How about Cutler? Jay might be available!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or