U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2016, 07:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 505,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
That was a joke. The Ravens put up these great defensive rankings on paper all year but this game proved that was overrated. The Jimmy Smith injury hurt but there was no killer instinct in those last 12 minutes to stop the Steelers. All year there's been a ton of criticism on their offense, but they played their asses off and made the plays.

I know its hindsight but the Ravens should've managed their last offensive drive to give the Steelers less time to drive for a potential FG. Under two minutes and in the red zone, I thought they were doing a good job running the ball. Jyzusuk should've tried going down at the 5 making it first and goal. At that point, you know Ben/Bell/Brown are unstoppable and their defense couldn't stop them at that point. You should've played to be the last one to score.
I was able to see the Ravens defense was overrated last week when they played the eagles and should have lost that game too.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:41 PM

357 posts, read 155,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I was able to see the Ravens defense was overrated last week when they played the eagles and should have lost that game too.
I'll admit that I was wrong about Baltimore. I liked their offense to stay in games and thought with their good statistical season, they could hold their own. They overachieved with a fairly easy schedule early and now with a few injuries they've become exposed.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,805 times
Quote:
I'll admit that I was wrong about Baltimore. I liked their offense to stay in games and thought with their good statistical season, they could hold their own. They overachieved with a fairly easy schedule early and now with a few injuries they've become exposed.
Not really. They were just trash early in the season when they had an easy schedule. They knew the end of the year would be tough and should have been pretty close to undefeated at the bye, not 3-4. In any case, with a full offseason for Flacco with his healed knee and with a somewhat figured out running game, and possibly some time for their OC to figure things out, they should be in a better spot next year. Who knows if Steve Smith will return and if Ben Watson will have recovered from his torn achilles.

Jimmy Smith would have helped a bit, but injuries killed them last year, not really this year.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:22 PM

5,422 posts, read 2,586,567 times
Go Chiefs!

Old 12-25-2016, 11:19 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Prevent defense: The only thing it prevents is the team playing it winning the game. I never understood the philosophy are playing this stupid defense: Including the previous 2 drives in the 4th quarter that resulted in touchdowns, the Steelers had the ball 12 times and had scored on only 4 of those 12 possessions. Play what's been working!!

As a Ravens fan, I'm fine with the PI call. Young got beat, and he made no effort to turn around and make a play on the ball. If he turns around, that's an incomplete pass.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:30 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Quote:

I knew this team was in trouble when they lost back-to-back games in the Meadowlands against the Giants (who had lost 3 straight games at that point, and the walls were starting to come in on McAdoo) and the Jets (who even at point in mid October were a dumpster fire). In reality, they were lucky to even be 8-6 with a chance to control the division to be honest: If they played the Eagles in September instead of December they probably lose that game, they should've lost the first game against the Browns (Week 2) when they started down 20-0. They were fortunate to beat the Jaguars the next week (probably should have lost that game as well), got a divisional scheduling gift when they got the first game against the Steelers at home with Ben hobbled coming off the knee injury and obviously far from even 80%, and than got 2 late season games against Cincinnati when the injuries had already piled up and derailed there season. That's another team, much like Philadelphia where if they played in weeks 3 or 4 instead of in week 12, that's probably a loss as AJ Green always seems to put up monster numbers against them

Old 12-26-2016, 12:20 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,468,436 times
Dolphins clinch a playoff berth... where is LargeKingCat?

Old 12-26-2016, 12:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Bucs doesn't to go to the playoffs after how they played yesterday. Plus I don't even see them beating the Panthers
I thought the Bucs might win that game, but Saints are always tough at home.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
I called that defense overrated back in early October when I saw the Cleveland Browns move the ball at will in the first half of that TNF game!

The Ravens were blessed with a soft schedule this year. Against real playoff contender teams all year, they went 2-6, the only wins at home vs a beat up Steelers team and an impressive win to end the Dolphins streak. But they didn't play the road well and lost back to back home games to the Raiders and Redskins, at the Giants, at the Cowboys, at the Patriots, at the Steelers. The fact is this team underachieved against superior competition and found a way to lose close games. If they just go 3-5 in those games, they are probably in the playoffs; 4-4 would have them 10-5 right now and they'd be in. This team underachieved vs superior talent and for all the grief the offense got, in each one of those losses I just named, that defense was picked apart at stretches late in the game; they could not get the opposing offenses off the field when it mattered...

I watched parts of ten Ravens games this year. I love statistics just as much as anyone but I also watch the game, the matchups, the changes in plan and assignments as the game wears on, the things stats can't give you. I said it on here before the Cowboys game and it holds true to this moment. There are probably 5 defenses in the league better than the Ravens this year. New England qualifies, and Arizona and Seattle certainly qualify, and while all of those defenses had moments of weakness this year, they typically played outstanding against great competition (except the Patriots; the best QB they played all year was Russell Wilson and he absolutely destroyed them with 350 yards and 3 touchdowns, no turnovers). Which will take me to my next point:

Old 12-26-2016, 03:22 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
This postseason is going to be outstanding. I'm hesitant to make picks because I have a feeling things will not go as expected, so I'll wait until seeding is settled next week. This is what I will say:

In the AFC, I am absolutely not pencil in the Patriots. They beat the Chiefs at Gillette last year, but this is a better Chiefs team. They have match up well with New England and it's not inconceivable that they go into Gillette and win. That Patriots defense has played much better the last 6 games or so but they've still yet to be tested by a top tier quarterback. The last time they played an offense with an elite level QB and an explosive complement of skill players, they were absolutely taken apart by Russell Wilson and Seattle, who put up 450 yards of offense on them. This is why they should be afraid of Pittsburgh, because every other team in the league exploited Seattle's offensive line this year, but the Pats didn't generate a sack. Pittsburgh has a much better offensive line and the top shelf quarterback and the loaded skill players....

New England will earn it's way to the Super Bowl if they advance. KC and Pittsburgh won't lose on the same weekend so the Pats have a showdown with one or the other coming and they are by no means a lock to beat either...

I also believe the Dolphins will be a tough out. I'm a believer in what Adam Gase is doing there and I think he's instilled a confidence there that they can beat anybody. The way they picked themselves off the mat of a 1-4 start is the stuff legendary coaches are made of. They are going to fight against whoever they play. I also think the Texans are going to be tough. The Raiders may be the worst team in the field without Carr. That defense isn't going to magically be able to beat v a Chiefs team that destroyed them twice, that defense is not equipped enough to withstand a Patriots or Steelers offense, and we know the offense can't put up the sane amount of scoring. I feel for the Raiders, but they're chances have plummeted...

In the NFC, I know it's not trendy, but look out for Seattle. I'm getting a certain feeling about them (me and my feelings lol) and look, I know this team has underachieved and isn't the same threat to win it all as they were in years past. This has been the worst December of the Pete Carroll era. But we've seen them play at their best (Arizona games, New England chiefly), and I maintain that 'if' they put their A-games out there, they will beat anybody in the field. We know their primary weakness (that damn line) and we know there is justification to believe they aren't going anywhere, but I caution against writing them off....

I am very scared of the Packers. They have got it rolling right now and look to be headed for a date in Houston. However, they gotta win in Detroit next week. I don't think they do it--yes, wishful thinking!

The Giants aren't going to scare anybody except the Cowboys. It will be an ugly game if they play Seattle but the thing is this, only one of those teams has shown the ability to score points and move the ball when it mattered this year, and it ain't the Giants. As inconsistent as both offenses have been, the Giants has been worse, and as great as the Giants defense is, we haven't saw them carry the offense to victory vs elite competition except that last game vs Dallas. I am NOT a believer in the Giants. Sorry! People keep trying to liken this team to the '07 and '11 teams, and I'll be surprised if they go on a tear but I'm not a believer!

The Falcons are the under the radar team that will be a tough out, and I'd favor them over everybody right now in the NFC. The Cowboys have shown (even in some games they won) they can be exploited and I do not like that matchup with them and Atlanta. I think the Cowboys are one and done unless they draw my Skins again...

I need Detroit to beat Dallas and Green Bay and the Redskins to smack the Giants next week to get us in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football