U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 PM

357 posts, read 155,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting read about Giants today. It didn't surprise me, McAdoo spent time in GB, saw what happened in 2011 when Packers rested players, Giants came in and steam rolled them.

I'm not saying Giants will win but I think they will play like this game is important to them. It is against a division rival, keeping Redskins out of the playoffs, they won't rest, probably ready to play.
I was so mad about this game. I play in a fantasy league where the top four teams after 17 regular season weeks make our fantasy playoffs. You get to keep up to six guys and we have a redraft for the remaining and you start one lineup throughout. I had Brees & Graham as keepers already but had first pick and went all in on Green Bay & Saints players(Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Grant and their kicker). After absolutely dominating everyone all year, they just lay up a complete egg to a hot Giants team.

You sort of learn a lesson after watching these types of games. If teams coast all year, how will they react in the playoffs to tough situations. If I remember also this Packers defense was trash. I think the Lions threw for about 500 yards against them a few weeks before that. I agree with McAdoo here. The Giants aren't playing perfect ball by any means and have many things to work on such as establishing some kind of rhythm for this offense.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:18 PM

1,281 posts, read 504,413 times
It's rumors that the Lions coach maybe canned if the Lions lose on sunday. I guess that makes sense since the team had two chances to clinch a playoff berth two weeks in a row.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Yeah, that one surprised me though as Caldwell is a good coach but wonder if there is a disconnect with his assistants or the players, hard to say.

I did read several places, players talking about how they'll play Dallas again and I know Packer players would never put in audio or print, they were already looking ahead to the playoffs.

Most teams, players, will always say they have to stay focused on the next game, not look ahead. They better just worry about Sunday as their team or the Packers might not see the playoffs.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Yeah, that one surprised me though as Caldwell is a good coach but wonder if there is a disconnect with his assistants or the players, hard to say.

I did read several places, players talking about how they'll play Dallas again and I know Packer players would never put in audio or print, they were already looking ahead to the playoffs.

Most teams, players, will always say they have to stay focused on the next game, not look ahead. They better just worry about Sunday as their team or the Packers might not see the playoffs.

yeah Dallas may not a dominant defense but other teams will still have to be ready for their offense. So if they beat Dallas it would be a cakewalk which is evident by their 2 losses below

Giants 20
Cowboys 19

Cowboys 7
Giants 10

Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM

With the playoffs coming up, I was interested in finding out the results of past playoff matchups and if they faced each other in the regular season. There were a few instances last season where the regular season results were completely different from the playoff outcomes. For example, Seattle crushed the Vikings in the regular season but were a Blair Walsh FG away from losing. Green Bay got crushed by the Cardinals but it turned into an even game that Green Bay could've won.

I left divisional matchups out of the data just because teams already faced each other twice and the majority of them were splits. Since the 08-09 season, teams who won the regular season match also won in the playoffs 21 times while losing 16 times. One instance of the 16 came last year when the Broncos lost to the Steelers in the regular season but beat them in the playoffs. One huge instance over the last 10-15 years was NE beating NYG in week 17 of the '07 regular season but losing to them in the Super Bowl.

Here are some notable ones since the 08 season that had a different playoff result: (Some where lower seed beat the higher one)

'08- Carolina beat AZ in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'08- Tennessee beat BALT in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'09- Green Bay beat AZ in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'10- Atlanta beat GB in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'11- Green Bay beat NYG in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'12- Denver beat BALT in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'13- Carolina beat SF in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'14- Denver beat INDy in regular season, lost to them in playoffs

We all react to what happened in the latest week or two and forget that things can quickly change in the NFL. This is a reminder while we think Elliot or Jay Ajayi will gash some run defense or Matt Ryan throwing long passes downfield at will against anyone, things change and this is why we play the games, especially with the playoffs looming.

Obviously circumstances have changed in Oakland and teams are playing better or worse in some cases, here are some potential playoff matchups where people might overreact to a result that occurred earlier in the regular season.

GB/DAL- The Packers are playing a lot better this time
PIT/NE- Big Ben will be playing this time
PIT/KC- This blowout was back in week 4
SEA/ATL- Seattle has lost more since their week 6 match
GB/ATL- This was only by a point last time
NYG/DET- The Lions let this game get away when they lost a fumble going in for a TD
PIT/MIA- Obviously won't be in Miami this time
DET/WASH- This one was close. If they meet again it could be different.

and some potential Super Bowl matchups

NE/SEA- Close one that came down to the final play
PIT/DAL- This was decided by whoever had the ball last

Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
With the playoffs coming up, I was interested in finding out the results of past playoff matchups and if they faced each other in the regular season. There were a few instances last season where the regular season results were completely different from the playoff outcomes. For example, Seattle crushed the Vikings in the regular season but were a Blair Walsh FG away from losing. Green Bay got crushed by the Cardinals but it turned into an even game that Green Bay could've won.

I left divisional matchups out of the data just because teams already faced each other twice and the majority of them were splits. Since the 08-09 season, teams who won the regular season match also won in the playoffs 21 times while losing 16 times. One instance of the 16 came last year when the Broncos lost to the Steelers in the regular season but beat them in the playoffs. One huge instance over the last 10-15 years was NE beating NYG in week 17 of the '07 regular season but losing to them in the Super Bowl.

Here are some notable ones since the 08 season that had a different playoff result: (Some where lower seed beat the higher one)

'08- Carolina beat AZ in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'08- Tennessee beat BALT in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'09- Green Bay beat AZ in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'10- Atlanta beat GB in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'11- Green Bay beat NYG in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'12- Denver beat BALT in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'13- Carolina beat SF in regular season, lost to them in playoffs
'14- Denver beat INDy in regular season, lost to them in playoffs

We all react to what happened in the latest week or two and forget that things can quickly change in the NFL. This is a reminder while we think Elliot or Jay Ajayi will gash some run defense or Matt Ryan throwing long passes downfield at will against anyone, things change and this is why we play the games, especially with the playoffs looming.

Obviously circumstances have changed in Oakland and teams are playing better or worse in some cases, here are some potential playoff matchups where people might overreact to a result that occurred earlier in the regular season.

GB/DAL- The Packers are playing a lot better this time
PIT/NE- Big Ben will be playing this time
PIT/KC- This blowout was back in week 4
SEA/ATL- Seattle has lost more since their week 6 match
GB/ATL- This was only by a point last time
NYG/DET- The Lions let this game get away when they lost a fumble going in for a TD
PIT/MIA- Obviously won't be in Miami this time
DET/WASH- This one was close. If they meet again it could be different.

and some potential Super Bowl matchups

NE/SEA- Close one that came down to the final play
PIT/DAL- This was decided by whoever had the ball last

I think Mia and Hou have a better chance of reaching the SB than Pitt

Old 12-28-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I think Mia and Hou have a better chance of reaching the SB than Pitt
MIA will probably matchup against the Steelers and they'll have no Reshad Jones or Isa Abdul-Quddus this time around. Beautiful matchup for Ben and AB.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
MIA will probably matchup against the Steelers and they'll have no Reshad Jones or Isa Abdul-Quddus this time around. Beautiful matchup for Ben and AB.
If Mia plays Pitt I will take the dolphins for the money with no issue

Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
The steelers team who was dead last night until the refs flag brought them to life? I would put my money on the dolphins to beat the steelers.
You're seriously complaining about a call in the third quarter that you didn't like? How petty. Even Ravens fans aren't complaining about it.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
If Mia plays Pitt I will take the dolphins for the money with no issue
I'll believe it when I see it. MIA has had the easiest matchups the last 2 or 3 months under some of the luckier circumstances. During the last nine of ten, they've faced an injured Big Ben at home, the Bills twice, the Jets twice, Rams, Niners, injury ravaged Chargers, and a declining Cardinals team at home. However the one decent matchup they drew was at Baltimore where they were dominated. They have some playmakers on offense but they're outmatched in a lot of spots. I'm afraid they're not as good as their record indicates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football