U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,311,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
For a fee and not until morning, and the hotel was advance payment no refunds. Check out is at 11 and they have to kill a day in an ice storm. And they will have to pay for another hotel room... and they have to take a vacation day for Monday. Oh, and don't forget all the extra meals now too.

They seriously are thinking of not sinking more money into it and eating their costs (they CAN sell the tickets).

Certainly you would be unhappy to be inconvenienced in that way too!
I know I would.
Yes, it would be annoying. But most people would have booked their flight to leave on Monday to begin with. I mean, it is January in the Midwest, there will be drinking at the game, the NFL can flex, etc.

If I were your friends I would sell the tickets. I was at the 2008 NFC Championship in Lambeau where NY won in overtime. It was below zero with the wind chill and an experience I will never repeat. Of course, maybe I'm just getting old.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,044,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Yes, it would be annoying. But most people would have booked their flight to leave on Monday to begin with. I mean, it is January in the Midwest, there will be drinking at the game, the NFL can flex, etc.

If I were your friends I would sell the tickets. I was at the 2008 NFC Championship in Lambeau where NY won in overtime. It was below zero with the wind chill and an experience I will never repeat. Of course, maybe I'm just getting old.
The NFL doesn't "flex" playoff games...

This is the first NFL playoff game in history to have time changed due to weather so it would be a very reasonable expectation that a 1 PM playoff game would take place at 1 PM

Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The NFL doesn't "flex" playoff games...

This is the first NFL playoff game in history to have time changed due to weather so it would be a very reasonable expectation that a 1 PM playoff game would take place at 1 PM
Oh, there have been accommodations for postseason weather before...

Due to sub-zero temperatures, the 1932 NFL Championship Game was moved indoors - to Chicago Stadium, a hockey arena. How did they squeeze a 120-yard field (including both end-zones) in there, you ask? They didn't. The field was 80 yards long (that included both end zones). Field goals were banned. Teams that crossed mid-field were moved back 20 yards. Touchbacks went out to the 10-yard line.

You're right that it was reasonable to expect the game to start at its normal time. It's reasonable to expect any professional match to start at its normal time. After all, over 99% of them do. But reasonable expectations also factor in remote possibilities, and anyone who has paid attention to the NFL for any amount of time has seen games delayed or moved due to lightning, blizzards, hurricanes and wildfires (not to mention labor disputes, terrorist attacks, and assassinations).

Anyone who can afford the luxury of attending an NFL playoff game should allow for the remote but real possibility that the time/location of the game may change. If they fail to do so, that's on them.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,044,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Oh, there have been accommodations for postseason weather before...

Due to sub-zero temperatures, the 1932 NFL Championship Game was moved indoors - to Chicago Stadium, a hockey arena. How did they squeeze a 120-yard field (including both end-zones) in there, you ask? They didn't. The field was 80 yards long (that included both end zones). Field goals were banned. Teams that crossed mid-field were moved back 20 yards. Touchbacks went out to the 10-yard line.

You're right that it was reasonable to expect the game to start at its normal time. It's reasonable to expect any professional match to start at its normal time. After all, over 99% of them do. But reasonable expectations also factor in remote possibilities, and anyone who has paid attention to the NFL for any amount of time has seen games delayed or moved due to lightning, blizzards, hurricanes and wildfires (not to mention labor disputes, terrorist attacks, and assassinations).

Anyone who can afford the luxury of attending an NFL playoff game should allow for the remote but real possibility that the time/location of the game may change. If they fail to do so, that's on them.
1. I said no playoff game had ever had its "time" changed before this weekends game shift. That FACT remains true

2. The first NFL Championship Game took place in 1933....

3. The 1932 game you reference was not technically a "Championship Game" it was an "extra game" to decide a champion when the two top teams ended up tied. Some historians consider it the first Championship game others don't even consider it the first playoff game

4. Anyone who has paid attention to the NFL for any amount of time has NEVER seen a playoff game delayed or moved for ANY reason so it wasn't 99% games taking place at scheduled time it was 100% of the time

5. Prior to this weekend's game there was "no remote or real possibility that the time of the game could be changed" because it had never happened before....

Old 01-14-2017, 02:51 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Well, I heard or read somewhere that Falcons had gotten better on defense but Seahawks just marched 89 yds. and 14 plays for a TD, quite the start.

I picked the Falcons having watched some Seahawks games this year, if Falcons can answer will this be a shootout???

Old 01-14-2017, 02:53 PM

1,281 posts, read 504,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Well, I heard or read somewhere that Falcons had gotten better on defense but Seahawks just marched 89 yds. and 14 plays for a TD, quite the start.

I picked the Falcons having watched some Seahawks games this year, if Falcons can answer will this be a shootout???

If the Falcons can't answer this then they maybe in trouble

Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM

357 posts, read 155,538 times
With Vic Beasley and Adrian Clayborn going out early, Atlanta's been playing this drive to perfection by giving them rest.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:10 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Both offenses with long TD drives on their first possesions. Over a full quarter was played and each team only possessed the ball once. Impressive.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Good response by the Falcons to tie the game up at 7-7.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Good stop by the Falcons in the redzone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football