U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:31 AM

158 posts, read 50,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I wonder how many of those 18 are specifically from his days with the Chiefs, or in other words, in his last four seasons or so? Probably the majority of them.

We know he wasn't leading comebacks in his early days with the 49ers because he and the whole 49er team stinked back then. Then when the 49ers got good, he maybe had a couple comeback wins, but probably not a lot considering how good the defense was then when he was a starter for what a season and a half or so before Kaepernick took over during that great 49er run.

I'm not going to hold it against him that he didn't have comeback wins early in his career. The point is, he improved considerably as his career went on. He's hardly a game manager QB in my opinion. Not saying he is an MVP candidate like Carr, Brady, Rogers, Stafford. But he's no game manger.

So far this year he has 3 4th quarter comeback wins, not including the recent win against the Falcons since that was an Eric Berry pick 2 that gave them the lead. Brady has 1 4th quarter comeback win this year.

I hate the 4th Qtr comeback stat. Reason why, some teams, like the Pats, rarely trail in the 4th Qtr....The Pats have 2 losses this year, one of which was when Garrapolo was playing. We are to penalize Brady for 1 4th Qtr comeback because his did his job the other 3 Qtrs and was already winning and only had to "comeback" 1 time....He is 8-1, what more do you want from the guy?

The "4th Qtr comeback" stat is like the "record in December stat". That is another one I hate....the games in December don't count more than a game in Sept. A win is a win....if you are 5-7 going into December and you go 3-1 for the month, you end up at 8-8....That is the exact same if you are 7-5 going in December and you go 1-3, you end up 8-8....there is no tiebreaker for "December record"

Last edited by Gryffendor; 12-14-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 1,896,029 times
I agree. It's a bogus stat for the reasons you claim.

Smith is 10-3 playing in the toughest division in football with a sweep over the raiders and head to head win already over the Broncos. Not asking for much more from him either. He's 18-3 in his last 21 regular season games i believe.

I'm just trying to point out that Blue's claim isn't all that accurate if you consider that Smith was a lousy QB early in his career and has been a good QB since 2011 or so. Wouldn't be surprised if 15 or 16 of those 18 comebacks came in his last 6 seasons.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Smith is 10-3 playing in the toughest division in football with a sweep over the raiders and head to head win already over the Broncos. Not asking for much more from him either. He's 18-3 in his last 21 regular season games i believe.

I'm just trying to point out that Blue's claim isn't all that accurate if you consider that Smith was a lousy QB early in his career and has been a good QB since 2011 or so. Wouldn't be surprised if 15 or 16 of those 18 comebacks came in his last 6 seasons.

It goes back to the A.D.D. fan that has to be "entertained"

Smiths knock is he is "boring"....he doesn't drive the ball down the field. People get annoyed because "WE NEED TO BE ENTERTAINED AND WE NEED TO BE EXCITED"!!!!

Ya know what, all Smith does is win....personally I will take a "boring" win over an "exciting" loss anyday

Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 AM

16,554 posts, read 21,093,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I would have also picked Carr before his lackluster game at Kansas City last Thursday night. Now it is a tossup between him and Brady IMO. Whoever plays better these last three games will win it. Shame on NFL.com. Lol.
Yes!

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM

578 posts, read 334,438 times
Lets look at facts of mvp

in the beginning of the season everyone had matt ryan as mvp,but guess what he fell off

then dak prescott,but guess what,he fell off
then now they say carr,but he is falling off

Now though all these qb's who's been in the top and still winning?

Brady! Even last year when cam newton won mvp who was 2nd place?Brady!

Its time to give brady mvp,all those other qbs unfortunely will loose in their playoffs while brady like every season will keep winning,and probably be in the superbowl(defintely he will be in his conference championship game).

Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Carr had one bad game on the road on a short week against a really good defense in freezing temps and still playing with the banged up pinky. I'm not going to say he has falling off because of one bad game. Three games to go, Raiders could still conceivably win out and take home field advantage.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Carr had one bad game on the road on a short week against a really good defense in freezing temps and still playing with the banged up pinky. I'm not going to say he has falling off because of one bad game. Three games to go, Raiders could still conceivably win out and take home field advantage.

THANK YOU BILL!!!! I am truly amazed listening not only to the "what have you done for me lately" fan, but the media as well....Carr has had 11 truly great games. He has 1 sub par game and now he is "fallen off" ....ITS ONE GAME!!!! Isnt the MVP for the SEASON? Rodgers has 4 or 5 bad games earlier in the year, but now he is in the conversation. Every game counts the same in the regular season, how has Carr "fallen off" based on one sub par game?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM

5,029 posts, read 11,139,896 times
Quote:

What isn't accurate about my claim???

That Smith ISN'T a game manager? That was your claim....

I never said he wasn't a "good" QB, but he certainly isn't a "great" QB and he IS the definition of a game manager.....certainly isn't a gun slinger....

You say he has been a "good" QB since 2011...

Since 2011 he has never thrown for over 3400 yards in a season averages around 3200, the most TD's he has thrown in a season is 23, his average season is around 20....a number he will be lucky to reach this season and he averages about 6-7 Interceptions per season...his career QB rating is 85 and even if you look at just the past 5 seasons its around 92...

His numbers are pedestrian....the definition of average....the definition of "game manager".....in truth most of his numbers are "below average" in this day and age of NFL QB's

Smith has never "carried" a team...he IS "carried" by a stellar defense and typically a stellar ground game...

Smith's main job is just "not to screw it up"...again the definition of "game manager"

Feel free to back up your "claim" with more than just saying my "claim" isn't accurate without a shred of evidence to the contrary...

Old 12-14-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What isn't accurate about my claim???

That Smith ISN'T a game manager? That was your claim....

I never said he wasn't a "good" QB, but he certainly isn't a "great" QB and he IS the definition of a game manager.....certainly isn't a gun slinger....
If you are not a gunslinger then you are a game manager? Is that your point? My point is that he is not a game manager. Simple as that.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM

5,029 posts, read 11,139,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffendor View Post
THANK YOU BILL!!!! I am truly amazed listening not only to the "what have you done for me lately" fan, but the media as well....Carr has had 11 truly great games. He has 1 sub par game and now he is "fallen off" ....ITS ONE GAME!!!! Isnt the MVP for the SEASON? Rodgers has 4 or 5 bad games earlier in the year, but now he is in the conversation. Every game counts the same in the regular season, how has Carr "fallen off" based on one sub par game?
That's some serious revisionist history....

Carr hasn't had "11 truly great games" this season....

He has had 5 maybe 6 "great games" this season...3-4 good/OK games....2 stinkers both against KC and another not so great game against Tennessee that the team pulled out....

As for "truly great games" this season...

Carr has 4 games this season with a QB rating of 114 or better only 1 above 120 and 5 games with a QB rating below 90 lowest being 49% last week

Brady has 6 games over 114 with 4 of them over 120 and only 1 game with QB rating below 90 at 89%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football