U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the NFL MVP in 2016?
Matt Ryan 11 18.64%
Aaron Rodgers 10 16.95%
Le'Veon Bell 1 1.69%
Tom Brady 18 30.51%
Derek Carr 2 3.39%
Matt Stafford 3 5.08%
Dak Prescott 6 10.17%
Ezekiel Elliot 7 11.86%
Jamies Winston 0 0%
Marcus Mariota 0 0%
Eli Manning 1 1.69%
Other (Who?) 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Deflategate has NOTHING to do with why Brady won't win MVP other than missing the 4 games. Brady was the leading candidate for much of the season
I think the case for Brady is as good as for any other player. And I think he might win it.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that there aren't writers (who are the voters) who won't hold Deflategate against Brady. And there might just be a few who are so appalled by the way the NFL handled it that it influences them in favor of Brady.

People vote for MVP. And when you have people voting, you have people doing so for all sorts of reasons, some of which really have next to nothing to do with what the vote is ostensibly about. That's just human nature.

And it's serious denialism to think otherwise.

[And I don't know why people are so vested in what is, really, a popularity contest.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:16 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Deflategate has NOTHING to do with why Brady won't win MVP other than missing the 4 games. Brady was the leading candidate for much of the season
Agreed. If anything it helps him. The only way it hurt is that he played four less games than Ryan and the Pats looked as good as ever without him. But the actual act and over punishment did not hurt him in the eyes of many.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 PM

1,005 posts, read 576,065 times
I really think those top 2 will face each other in the Super Bowl.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM

689 posts, read 337,942 times
After today's wildcard games....I'm leaning towards Carr

Old 01-07-2017, 11:36 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Voting is over doesn't matter what happened today or what happens next week or next month

Old 01-08-2017, 09:31 AM

3,188 posts, read 6,342,872 times
Telling his slacking teammates (at week 10), his haters, and even his own family to kiss his tush, The State Farm Guy's gonna steal this.......!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Telling his slacking teammates (at week 10), his haters, and even his own family to kiss his tush, The State Farm Guy's gonna steal this.......!
1st team All Pro Ryan

2nd team All Pro Brady

It was a 2 man race and Rodgers was 3rd man out...at best assuming Elliot didn't also beat him out

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I was getting ready to post the same thing until read your post. It's Carr by a pretty wide margin IMHO.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:32 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
No argument from me that Carr is arguably the most valuable to his teams success. But I think Rogers and Ryan are right up there too. And both those players finished with better stats. Clearly Brady is the least valuable to his teams success because he's surrounded by the best supporting cast when considering all three phases of the game and the Pats also have a proven back up.

But the award has never been 100% or even 60% based on who is actually most valuable to their teams. It does play a role though. I'd say it's 25% value to team, 25% team success (record) and 50% individual stats.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
No argument from me that Carr is arguably the most valuable to his teams success. But I think Rogers and Ryan are right up there too. And both those players finished with better stats. Clearly Brady is the least valuable to his teams success because he's surrounded by the best supporting cast when considering all three phases of the game and the Pats also have a proven back up.

But the award has never been 100% or even 60% based on who is actually most valuable to their teams. It does play a role though. I'd say it's 25% value to team, 25% team success (record) and 50% individual stats.
Absolute hogwash....really expect better from you since your Bills get owned by Brady every year....Do you really believe that nonsense????

Do the Pats win 4 SuperBowls WITHOUT Brady??? Do they win the AFC East every year???

Even talking just about this year, do the Pats lose 16-0 to your Bills if Brady plays??? What was the result the next game IN Buffalo WITH Brady....do they go 14-2 and wrap up the 1 seed without Brady...I think not....

As for "better" supporting cast....how come Hogan didn't look like a viable number 2 receiver in Buffalo?
Would Julian Edelman have ever become the player he has on another team WITHOUT Brady throwing to him, is there another HOF or potential HOF QB who has been surrounded with FEWER standout offensive weapons than Brady in his career?? Outside of Moss for a couple years and Gronk when he can manage to stay on the field..

How many All PRO, Pro Bowl players from Pats this year compared to Falcons, Packers and Cowboys....

As for "proven backup" the Pats are high on Jimmy G and if traded will likely command a high price, best thing that may have happened for Pats was him only playing only a game and a half before other teams could get a read on him....how many NFL backup one hit wonders have there been in the NFL? He may be a terrific NFL QB, he could just as easily be a bum.....6 quarters hardly qualifies his as a "proven backup"

Matt Flynn came on for Rodgers a couple of times and looked like the next Rodgers, he tore up the Pats one game...how did his career arc go after that??

You were touting Prescott for MVP earlier in the season when it was and is abundantly clear that it was his Offensive Line, Running back and a half decent WR named Bryant that had as much or more to do with Cowboys success...based on your criteria Prescott should NEVER been in the running because does anyone think Romo COULDN'T duplicate the success Prescott had???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football