U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the NFL MVP in 2016?
Matt Ryan 11 18.64%
Aaron Rodgers 10 16.95%
Le'Veon Bell 1 1.69%
Tom Brady 18 30.51%
Derek Carr 2 3.39%
Matt Stafford 3 5.08%
Dak Prescott 6 10.17%
Ezekiel Elliot 7 11.86%
Jamies Winston 0 0%
Marcus Mariota 0 0%
Eli Manning 1 1.69%
Other (Who?) 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Don't forget that Brady was gift wrapped a team already in 1st place in their division with the season already a quarter done.
Right, the argument against him is that every time they've been without him they've still been a very good team. 3-1 this year, 11-5 when he missed the year, etc. They're likely to be 14-2 this year, but they'd probably win 11-12 games with Garoppolo. Of course MVP is not quite the same as WAR, but the point still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 PM

71 posts, read 32,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Right, the argument against him is that every time they've been without him they've still been a very good team. 3-1 this year, 11-5 when he missed the year, etc. They're likely to be 14-2 this year, but they'd probably win 11-12 games with Garoppolo. Of course MVP is not quite the same as WAR, but the point still stands.
The Patriots also have two wins over playoff teams without Brady and only one with him (could become two next week).

Old 12-26-2016, 03:03 AM

4,976 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser18 View Post
The Patriots also have two wins over playoff teams without Brady and only one with him (could become two next week).
You can make all the excuses for why he won't win that you want and ultimately he probably won't but fact remains you don't have a vote and in articles written by sportswriters that DO have a vote consistently rank Brady as one of the leaders for the award

No one cares what the team record "could have been" . Panthers had perhaps the easiest schedule in history last season, didn't stop voters from giving the award to Cam

MVP almost always goes to best QB on best team period. Right now Brady is still the best QB on the best team in football. He has lost only 1 game, has thrown only 2 Interceptions and his only " clunker " of a game came against Seahawks when he was 23-32 for over 300 yards, led his team to 3 TDs and had them on the 1 yard line with a chance to win at the end but couldn't get the TD

He has the stats, passes the eye test and happens to be the GOAT at the position.

I would much rather that he gets the Lombardi handed over by Goodell but I am getting tired of the excuses as to why he "can't " win the MVP and hope he does get it as well

Old 12-26-2016, 04:06 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
More often than not, the MVP is simply a popularity contest. In many cases they gush over stats, ignoring team record. Which is why Peyton Manning has 5 MVPs and Brady only 2. MOre and more I am beginning to think they are going to give it to Aaron Rodgers... its as if the 4 game losing streak in the middle of the season, where He didn't play well at all, NEVER HAPPENED.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:30 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times
I don't buy the MVP being a popularity contest. It isn't voted on by fans, and is a limited pool of analysts, reporters, etc., and some that vote are on the "statistics can be misconstrued to state any case you want" bandwagon.

I don't want to get into an argument but 4 game slide was more on the defense than Aaron. The Redskins and Titans put over 40 points on the secondary that couldn't stop anyone. If the defense can't get off the field, how can Aaron get on the field and do something? Packers totally stayed with Falcons 1 point game.

With no running game, those 4 games, Aaron over 160 yards rushing, offense wasn't on the same page, he tried to make it work.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-26-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 06:51 AM

Those analysts, reporters, etc.. ARE FANS and often are local media that most certainly have a bias towards one player/team.

If the defense is to blame for the 4 game skid mid season and Rodgers play has remained at an elite level, then shouldn't the defense get the credit for the sudden change of fortune? Something changed between now and then.. either Rodgers got a lot better or the defense got a lot better.. perhaps it was BOTH. You can't ignore the swell of support you see for Rodgers that is all of the sudden being heard. No doubt he is probably playing better than any QB right now but, if the defense doesn't suddenly get healthy/better, we are not hearing about Rodgers for MVP.

IMO, Matt Ryan is the MVP. No body was on the Falcons bandwagon before the year started.. he is playing with arguable the worst defense among the top candidates and has the best numbers.. but then again, I am NOT one of the voters and I will be honest, he is NOT the sexy choice that Rodgers would be.. JMO.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 AM

I totally get what you are saying! Packers did get quite a bit healthier on defense, still no Shields but they are playing #2 & #3 corners instead of #5 & whoever they throw in there, plus 2 inside LBs are back.

Having access to media, listening to local radio shows, I've always believed (I know nave) when they say they aren't fans.

I do know they absolutely cannot show any team preference in the press box at all, EVER, no cheering allowed. I had a small private tour of the media area, upper areas of Lambeau and they talked a great deal about press box rules.

Of course, when it comes down to a private paper ballot, it is a different situation and the GB Press Gazette is going to vote differently than the Dallas Morning News.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I totally get what you are saying! Packers did get quite a bit healthier on defense, still no Shields but they are playing #2 & #3 corners instead of #5 & whoever they throw in there, plus 2 inside LBs are back.

Having access to media, listening to local radio shows, I've always believed (I know nave) when they say they aren't fans.

I do know they absolutely cannot show any team preference in the press box at all, EVER, no cheering allowed. I had a small private tour of the media area, upper areas of Lambeau and they talked a great deal about press box rules.

Of course, when it comes down to a private paper ballot, it is a different situation and the GB Press Gazette is going to vote differently than the Dallas Morning News.
I think the LOCAL radio host for a game is fun... especially for the local teams fan base. Many fans will listen to their GUY on the radio while watching the broadcast on TV...

I can distinctly hear Wayne Larrivee saying "There is your dagger" when the Packers pull away in the 4th quarter... he may not be cheering but he most certainly is biased, as he should be...

Old 12-26-2016, 09:04 AM

I love Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren, awesome guys! Being in Wisconsin 10 years, far northern Illinois for the rest of my life, I've been listening to Larivee a long time. My cousin worked for the top brass at WGN radio over 50 years so I had contact with radio personalities in Chicago, too. She was single, (me, too), I would go to functions with her.

Back to the MVP race. Reading Peter King, some may or may not like him, he said this is one of the years where it is wide open with a fairly long list of contenders. Some years it is already cut and dried by this time in the season, this year not so much. He is one of the 50 voters.

Because everything has turned so stat crazy, with fantasy adding to it and fans having access to so many stats, how is this one:

Rodgers just became the fourth QB in NFL history to post 35,000-plus passing yards, 2,500-plus rushing yards in his career, joining Fran Tarkenton, John Elway and Donovan McNabb as only players to accomplish that feat.

Sorry, he does have a bunch of crazy statistics attached to his career.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-26-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 11:34 PM

71 posts, read 32,986 times
Some good stuff here regarding MVP and how Ryan may be having one of the best passing seasons ever:

http://quarterbackscore.webs.com/app...me-for-rodgers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football