U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:30 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times

Advertisements

You also know Eli played waaaaaaaaay better than Rodgers during their meeting in 2011. Whoever shows up from the NFC will be the team that's on fire and will be a legitimate threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM

158 posts, read 49,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm going to predict that the Cowboys don't make it to the SB. I've watched Prescott & Zeke the last 3 games and they could've been 0-3. The Vikings is a loss they got lucky. The Giants have the formula to stop the Dallas short pass and run game and TB game Winston just coughed up the ball more than he normally does.

Dallas's defense is very suspect, they are prone to a balanced running & deep ball attack. If they faced Rodgers they would get picked part.

I think the best NFC teams are Seattle, Atlanta, NY, GB, Dallas, DET. NY is playing with momentum right now an I expect them to win the last 2 games which could put pressure on Dallas not to lose a single game as home field is up for grabs.

DET will be the only team that will give Dallas problems. They need to win because they got a tough schedule.
I am a Cowboy fan, and I would rather NOT see Rodgers because, well, he is Rodgers ....anybody who WANTS GB is not very intelligent or just a hater. Now, outside of the last game, you cant claim GB all of a sudden has a "balanced running attack". I am sure Montgomery is a very nice surprise, but lets not start calling him the next Eric Dickerson yet. How Rodgers goes is how GB will go. It really is that simple

Atlanta all of a sudden seems like the "sexy" pick. To me, they are the perfect "bully" team. They play a bad team and they absolutely torch them. They will hang 40 pts on you. You get a decent defense and smack Ryan or Jones around a bit, they will crumble....The best word I can use is "soft"

Stafford is gutsy, I just don't think Detroit has the firepower to hang with the other elite teams in the NFC. Now they may get healthy and get players back. Stafford is a tough kid, I respect him. They have no running game. Their defense has played better as of late. If they get down early, I don't think they come back

Giants defense has played well, props to them. Can we get a grip tho, this isn't the 85 Bears. The Giant defense has given up 250 pts this year. The Dallas defense has given up 258 pts. Not much of a difference there. So saying the Giant defense is some dominant unit and Dallas defense is suspect really doesn't hold up....I know the argument is the Giant defense held Dallas to 7 points. I can say the Dallas defense held the Giants to 10 pts, in Met Life Stadium. If Dan Baileys kick goes 4 inches further, we are in OT

Seattle is Seattle....Good team....always a threat. I just think, and totally my opinion, Dallas is a bad matchup for them. The Dallas O Line are road graters and can push Seattle around on the ground. They were touting Tampa's defense and the Dallas O Line pushed them around

Does that guarantee Dallas is going to the SB, of course not....Playoffs should be interesting, as always

Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Look with all due respect, you can't convince me Dallas fans won't be MAJORLY disappointed if you don't make the SB. Having a rookie qb that plays lights out most games is no longer a rookie. Sorry. Hell, I as a Giant fan will be disappointed if they don't go to the SB even as the WC. That's what you play for!

As for the Giants defense, don't look at the whole year, this is what the Giants defense did in 07 and 11, they are playing great NOW. Fans fell into that trap those years as neither of those defenses put up good numbers the first 8 weeks either. As for Dallas' defense I think they are actually underrated. They have bent at times but overall they are doing a lot of good things, heat on the qb being one of them.

The Giants difference this year to 07 and 11 is a weaker (much weaker) running game which has to get going for them to do any damage in the playoffs.

Defense wins championships..if Dallas defense holds up..you can count on going to the SB. That is to be seen though. Also, ANY DC who thinks they are beating Dallas bringing 4 has another thing coming. You stack 8 in the box, take away the running game, go man to man outside and FORCE Prescott down the field. If he does ...hats off to him.

You would be correct about the 2007 Giants. That rushing tandem of Jacobs and Ward (and Bradshaw at the end of the year) was good enough to rank fourth in the league. Their passing offense I think was 20-21st in the league. Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer were both spotty that year until December. However, you would be incorrect about the 2011 Giants team. That team ranked dead last, 32nd in rushing offense. It made its hay on pass offense behind Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, who had a great second season after spending his rookie campaign on IR. The 2011 team was anchored by Ahmad Bradshaw, who had an average year at best. Eli Manning played lights out the last two games of that year against the Jets and the Cowboys then sustained it the final three games against the Falcons, Packers, and 49ers (aided by two muffed punts) and then beat the Patriots.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I think back to 2010 when 7-9 Seahawks stunned 11-5 Saints. Falcons 13-3 won their division, were blown away by the 6th seed Packers. They beat Packers earlier in the year, got a different team in the playoffs. Bears won the NFC North in 2010, but Packers won the NFC Championship and the SB.

The 2011 Packers, 15-1, had a bye, Giants knocked them out of the playoffs. Packers kept them out of the playoffs 2010, same 10-6 record but had a win over the Giants during the year. 2011 Giants won the Super Bowl.

Playoffs are a different situation, throw out some of the season stuff and start over. Teams beat teams during the year by the end of the year all teams are different. A team that wins in Oct. can't think they will play the exact same team in January.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM

12,900 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Defense win championships, of the few remaining playoff teams I have to give the Giants the edge for having the best pass rush and pass coverage.

The Giants also have the best run defense of these teams designed against Zeke which benefited greatly from their O-line.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Right now, I see the Patriots prevailing. David Carr gives the Raiders a punchers chance to win an away game in Foxboro, but house money has to be put on the Patriots. The Steelers are the only other team that has a balance at this stage (elite QB, solid, but not spectacular defense, and elite RB/WR). If the game was being held in Pittsburgh, I would give the Steelers a chance, but not in Foxboro.

A case for the Giants is tougher to make, because they'd have to win 3 games on the road, assuming a 5 seed, unless all 4 division winners lost before the NFC Championship game. Two teams I see being over the Giants this year are the Packers and the Falcons. Again, I favor elite QBs in the post-season. The Packers and Rodgers play are particularly impressive. If they win the last two and win the division at 10-6, that gives them the division, with a 6 game winning streak going into the postseason.

The Seahawks were my pick at the beginning of the year, but something is wrong with this team that I can't quite identify. I have not seen them put together two impressive weeks in a row, in all 3 phases of the game, yet, this season. The Cowboys have one of the greatest offensive lines I have ever seen, yet, I don't think a rookie QB has ever made it to the Super Bowl. Logically, that leaves the Packers and the Falcons standing. I think whoever claims the 3 seed and has the potential of the home game will advance to the Super Bowl. My money, as of week 16, is on the Packers.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:19 PM

158 posts, read 49,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Right now, I see the Patriots prevailing. David Carr gives the Raiders a punchers chance to win an away game in Foxboro, but house money has to be put on the Patriots. The Steelers are the only other team that has a balance at this stage (elite QB, solid, but not spectacular defense, and elite RB/WR). If the game was being held in Pittsburgh, I would give the Steelers a chance, but not in Foxboro.

A case for the Giants is tougher to make, because they'd have to win 3 games on the road, assuming a 5 seed, unless all 4 division winners lost before the NFC Championship game. Two teams I see being over the Giants this year are the Packers and the Falcons. Again, I favor elite QBs in the post-season. The Packers and Rodgers play are particularly impressive. If they win the last two and win the division at 10-6, that gives them the division, with a 6 game winning streak going into the postseason.

The Seahawks were my pick at the beginning of the year, but something is wrong with this team that I can't quite identify. I have not seen them put together two impressive weeks in a row, in all 3 phases of the game, yet, this season. The Cowboys have one of the greatest offensive lines I have ever seen, yet, I don't think a rookie QB has ever made it to the Super Bowl. Logically, that leaves the Packers and the Falcons standing. I think whoever claims the 3 seed and has the potential of the home game will advance to the Super Bowl. My money, as of week 16, is on the Packers.

Good breakdown Mike. I guess the only thing I will disagree with you on is Matt Ryan. I do not put him as "elite" for one reason. I get he has arcade-type numbers. He has won a playoff game, but it was against a decimated Seattle team who had starters on both offense and defense who were out, and it was a tight game. He was bad against both the Packers and 49ers and both those games were at home. It seems every time Atlanta plays in a big spot, they gag. I get this is a new year, but similar to Detroit, go out and win a big game. Until either of those teams do, I cant take them serious.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,881,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Packers??? With that defense? no way they get through Dallas AND Seattle on the road. Hell they could barely beat the Bears.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:38 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
It is funny about the Packers, saw two things today about a Patriots and Packers SB already, don't see it happening really but once playoffs start, who knows? First they have to win the next 2 games and more injuries from Sunday, hard to tell.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffendor View Post
Good breakdown Mike. I guess the only thing I will disagree with you on is Matt Ryan. I do not put him as "elite" for one reason. I get he has arcade-type numbers. He has won a playoff game, but it was against a decimated Seattle team who had starters on both offense and defense who were out, and it was a tight game. He was bad against both the Packers and 49ers and both those games were at home. It seems every time Atlanta plays in a big spot, they gag. I get this is a new year, but similar to Detroit, go out and win a big game. Until either of those teams do, I cant take them serious.
I would have agreed a couple years ago, but now Atlanta has no big expectations. We've all gotten accustomed to them losing, much like the Bengals. I'm not predicting Atlanta to go deep, but I'm giving them a better shot than 4-5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or