Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 AM

158 posts, read 73,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its a crapshoot but Dallas is in the front. Home field is huge for them. Only the Giants and Seattle would be an obstacle. Remember defense wins in the playoffs. As for AFC..KC is the team I would worry about if I were the Pats..very up and down but they have the defense to make it happen.

JP, I don't agree with the point that home field is HUGE for Dallas....Over the past 3 yrs, Dallas is 11-12 at home and 17-6 on the road....this year its even up at 6-1 for both home/away records....Don't get me wrong, I think any team would rather play at home, but for Dallas it isn't like a Seattle situation, where you essentially get 2 different teams at home as opposed to road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 06:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffendor View Post
JP, I don't agree with the point that home field is HUGE for Dallas....Over the past 3 yrs, Dallas is 11-12 at home and 17-6 on the road....this year its even up at 6-1 for both home/away records....Don't get me wrong, I think any team would rather play at home, but for Dallas it isn't like a Seattle situation, where you essentially get 2 different teams at home as opposed to road
They are in the drivers seat. I know you don't want to put pressure on your team. But they are...its theirs to win. Will they come through? If the situation were reversed and it were the Giants home throughout, anything less than an SB appearance would be majorly disappointing. Winning 2 at home is a lot easier than 3 on the road.

If I were Dallas , I'd want to avoid the Giants at all costs. The only way to take them down is to play great defense. Seattle could do it but lets face it...they SUCK on the road.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
They are in the drivers seat. I know you don't want to put pressure on your team. But they are...its theirs to win. Will they come through? If the situation were reversed and it were the Giants home throughout, anything less than an SB appearance would be majorly disappointing. Winning 2 at home is a lot easier than 3 on the road.

If I were Dallas , I'd want to avoid the Giants at all costs. The only way to take them down is to play great defense. Seattle could do it but lets face it...they SUCK on the road.
At 12-2, I agree they are in the drivers seat....the one difference is they have a rookie QB....We seem to live in a world of extremes and there seems to be an underlying thought that if Dallas doesn't make the SB, the season is a "fail". I think every fan is disappointed to a point if their team makes the playoffs and they don't win the SB, I cant consider this season a "fail" if Dallas doesn't win the SB....I said weeks ago, I think Dallas matches up well against Seattle. Not saying Seattle cant win, but I just think Dallas can "out muscle" them (similar to what they did against Tampa Bay). The Giants are tough, a division foe and it always seems to be a close game....It seems now that everyone is all over the Giants, touting the defense as some sort of next 85 Bears. Yes, their defense is playing well, but what I find funny is the so called experts are saying this Giant defense can carry them to a SB, yet the Dallas defense could be their Achilles heel....The Giants have given up 250 points, the Dallas defense has given up 258 points....Wow, what a HUGE difference

Old 12-20-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
At 12-2, I agree they are in the drivers seat....the one difference is they have a rookie QB....We seem to live in a world of extremes and there seems to be an underlying thought that if Dallas doesn't make the SB, the season is a "fail". I think every fan is disappointed to a point if their team makes the playoffs and they don't win the SB, I cant consider this season a "fail" if Dallas doesn't win the SB....I said weeks ago, I think Dallas matches up well against Seattle. Not saying Seattle cant win, but I just think Dallas can "out muscle" them (similar to what they did against Tampa Bay). The Giants are tough, a division foe and it always seems to be a close game....It seems now that everyone is all over the Giants, touting the defense as some sort of next 85 Bears. Yes, their defense is playing well, but what I find funny is the so called experts are saying this Giant defense can carry them to a SB, yet the Dallas defense could be their Achilles heel....The Giants have given up 250 points, the Dallas defense has given up 258 points....Wow, what a HUGE difference
Look with all due respect, you can't convince me Dallas fans won't be MAJORLY disappointed if you don't make the SB. Having a rookie qb that plays lights out most games is no longer a rookie. Sorry. Hell, I as a Giant fan will be disappointed if they don't go to the SB even as the WC. That's what you play for!

As for the Giants defense, don't look at the whole year, this is what the Giants defense did in 07 and 11, they are playing great NOW. Fans fell into that trap those years as neither of those defenses put up good numbers the first 8 weeks either. As for Dallas' defense I think they are actually underrated. They have bent at times but overall they are doing a lot of good things, heat on the qb being one of them.

The Giants difference this year to 07 and 11 is a weaker (much weaker) running game which has to get going for them to do any damage in the playoffs.

Defense wins championships..if Dallas defense holds up..you can count on going to the SB. That is to be seen though. Also, ANY DC who thinks they are beating Dallas bringing 4 has another thing coming. You stack 8 in the box, take away the running game, go man to man outside and FORCE Prescott down the field. If he does ...hats off to him.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
I just don't see it. The offensive line's inconsistency and the total lack of a running game is going to make it too tough for the Giants in the playoffs. Honestly, I'm amazed they've won 10 games with the offense being so bad.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
As for the Giants defense, don't look at the whole year, this is what the Giants defense did in 07 and 11, they are playing great NOW. Fans fell into that trap those years as neither of those defenses put up good numbers the first 8 weeks either. As for Dallas' defense I think they are actually underrated. They have bent at times but overall they are doing a lot of good things, heat on the qb being one of them.

I guess I am in the minority. I don't just look at the NOW. I look at the entire body of work. The reason I say that is because the fan with the 10 minute memory will proclaim the Giant defense is GREAT!!!! Hypothetically on Thursday night, Philly hangs 38 points on them. Does the live in the moment fan proclaim the Giant defense now stinks? Look at the entire body of work

Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
I guess I am in the minority. I don't just look at the NOW. I look at the entire body of work. The reason I say that is because the fan with the 10 minute memory will proclaim the Giant defense is GREAT!!!! Hypothetically on Thursday night, Philly hangs 38 points on them. Does the live in the moment fan proclaim the Giant defense now stinks? Look at the entire body of work
True, you have to look at the entire body of work but at the same time you have to realize that teams often get better or worse throughout the year.. they rarely stay put. The teams that get 'hot' at the end of the year, or better put gel, peak, get better towards the end of the year are often the teams that do well in the playoffs. I think the Giants defense has gotten better throughout the year and suddenly seem to be playing better. I just don't see them at the level they were at a few years back when they able to spring board to the Super BOwl, not yet anyway. Those teams got pressure on the QB, this team simply has great DBs.. and against Elite QBs, which they will no doubt face in the Playoffs, lack of pressure, despite having great DBs is a recipe for disaster..

Old 12-21-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
T Those teams got pressure on the QB, this team simply has great DBs.. and against Elite QBs, which they will no doubt face in the Playoffs, lack of pressure, despite having great DBs is a recipe for disaster..
The Dallas and Detroit game the d line (along with blitz packages..alot of them) got a ton of pressure. But I agree, the key is the corner play. If those corners can handle one on one, it changes everything. That has occurred for the Giants the last 2 weeks..not guaranteeing that will continue.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Well sure that could happen to any defense in a given week. ...but what happened in weeks 1-8 has a lot less bearing than what happened weeks 9-14. I would have agreed if it was 1 or 2 good weeks, but this defense has been playing well for a long enough period now to notice it.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Well sure that could happen to any defense in a given week. ...but what happened in weeks 1-8 has a lot less bearing than what happened weeks 9-14. I would have agreed if it was 1 or 2 good weeks, but this defense has been playing well for a long enough period now to notice it.
No doubt. players get healthy, return from injury.. rookies and 2nd year guys are always improving especially during the second half of a season.. plus coaches change schemes and move guys around to play different roles..

I remember years ago, the Cowboys drafted a kid out of Maryland.. 2nd player picked in the draft. For 2 years they tried to stick him a LB (6'4", 260lbs) and for 2 years he was nothing more than a special teams player and seldom played defense. Finally, one coach moved him to DT and he became one of the greatest DTs to ever play the game.. that is what great coaches do.. they find roles for players that at first glance they don't appear fit for.. This is not a unique story.. this happens a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football