U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,842,150 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure Andrew Luck is a Top 10 guy, if Cousins isn't either. If we're ranking guys right now off their body of work as my cohorts here seem wont to do, the best quarterbacks in the league are (no order): Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Carr...Romo, if you still consider him Top 10 despite being a backup, which leaves room for one more guy. I guess you can have a flip between Luck, Stafford, and Palmer, all those guys can make a case. So I'm not sure Luck is a Top 10 guy as is. The man has been overrated since before he even got into The League. He's good, can be very good, has flashed greatness....but by no measure has he been consistently great...

If you look on an individual season by season basis, if you consider him Top 10 this year, again it would be barely making it. The gap between he and Cousins is not that wide, and Cousins outplayed him this year. I have to agree, I think it's interesting that we give Luck a pass for his supporting cast, but not for Cousins or Wilson. I'm Wilson's case, he didn't have much of a line or running game last year, either, and his stat line suggests he was a Top 3 quarterback. His line and running game were even worse this year, so was his play, but the same permissible aren't being given to him...

Personally, I think people want to believe Luck is better than he is, and want to believe Wilson is average. On both counts, through five seasons of play, it's been proven otherwise...

Luck is good. He has the potential to be great. But again, the best parallel I can use, from what I've seen in five years, he's more Favre than Manning. He can still be great, but to this point he's shown us he's not quite as great as we thought he was. Not yet, anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,068,009 times
Not understanding the Cousins love at all. He is above average no where near elite not top 5..... not top 10

I think Luck is over rated but he is MUCH better than Cousins and had an equivalent year to Cousins on a much worse team. Cousins threw for more yards...Luck threw more TDs. Otherwise stats almost identical Put Luck on the Skins they make the playoffs this year no doubt. I guarantee you not a single NFL GM would take Cousins over Luck. They aren't in the same league talent wise. There is a reason Skins didn't pony up the money for Kirk last year(and may not this offseason)

I would rate the following QBs ahead of Cousins

Brady, Ryan, Rodgers,Brees,Wilson,Carr, Big Ben, Stafford, Luck, Rivers, Palmer, Prescott.....and in a playoff game I would also take Eli over him

Cousins is a 2nd tier QB

I was in my 20's when the "greatest " QB draft took place in 1983

The 04 class was another good one with 3 top tier QB's but maybe not 3 HOFers

The 07 class has a ways to go to compare to 04.....1 SB win compared to 4

Wilson is the best of the bunch..... the Elway of the bunch

Luck has the talent but poor supporting cast and no hardware..... Marino

Cousins is probably next.... he could make the leap to 1st tier but unlikely elite he could just as easily be a stiff could go either way

Tannehill is average at best and could be serviceable but had shown very little before this year

Foles will be career backup

RGIII is a bust and will be out of football within 3 years

Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,862,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

That's a typo because ironically '07 is maybe one of the worst QB classes of all time. Right there with 2013.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,288,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I wouldn't call Luck a disappointment. I think his hype was overblown but he has done a lot with a bad team around him. Without Luck, the Colts may not have won four games the last two years, combined. Luck still has heights he can reach, can Indy put a team (a line specifically) in front of him to help reach those heights?
Well, that's exactly it.

Luck is a disappointment precisely because he has not lived up to expectations. That said expectations were perhaps unrealistic doesn't change that. When you're a #1 overall QB and the highpoint of your first five seasons is getting obliterated in a single conference championship game, that's a disappointment.

Fair? Maybe not. But that's not the question.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
That's a typo because ironically '07 is maybe one of the worst QB classes of all time. Right there with 2013.
Yep your right was talking about out 2012 not sure why I put 07

Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, that's exactly it.

Luck is a disappointment precisely because he has not lived up to expectations. That said expectations were perhaps unrealistic doesn't change that. When you're a #1 overall QB and the highpoint of your first five seasons is getting obliterated in a single conference championship game, that's a disappointment.

Bledsoe was 4-3 in playoffs over his entire 14 season career

Manning was 2-4 in playoffs his first 5 seasons

Luck is 3-3 in playoffs his first 5 years

All 3 were number 1 overall picks

He could be the next Bledsoe or the next Manning or something in between

Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,264,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, that's exactly it.

Let's be fair, Luck is a good quarterback but he has not been protected very well.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-04-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont expect that, in fact i think first rounders tend to believe the hype generated about them. most of these guys have been hearing for at least four years about how great they are, and how they will excel in the pros. and then when they get to the pro game, and find it is way different than the college game, they tend to fold somewhat. there are a few though that do make it in the pros, and do very well. but imo the better pro quarterbacks are found in the third through fifth rounds, and sometimes are undrafted free agents.
Well, with Andrew Luck, the guy was the number one overall pick coming out of a college that ran a pro style offense. So, I kind of feel like his draft position was based on a lot more than simply hype. And he proved right out of the gate that he could win in the NFL. He's had early success. I realize that injuries to key players will affect your team, but I've watched Luck play and he's regressed. I don't think he's regressed to the point of being trash, and I think the guy will come back and be a great quarterback - possibly next year. But I think it's OK to expect guys like Andrew Luck to continue on a trajectory upward - especially early in his career.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 AM

2,858 posts, read 1,454,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not understanding the Cousins love at all. He is above average no where near elite not top 5..... not top 10

I think Luck is over rated but he is MUCH better than Cousins and had an equivalent year to Cousins on a much worse team. Cousins threw for more yards...Luck threw more TDs. Otherwise stats almost identical Put Luck on the Skins they make the playoffs this year no doubt. I guarantee you not a single NFL GM would take Cousins over Luck. They aren't in the same league talent wise. There is a reason Skins didn't pony up the money for Kirk last year(and may not this offseason)

I would rate the following QBs ahead of Cousins

Brady, Ryan, Rodgers,Brees,Wilson,Carr, Big Ben, Stafford, Luck, Rivers, Palmer, Prescott.....and in a playoff game I would also take Eli over him

Cousins is a 2nd tier QB

I was in my 20's when the "greatest " QB draft took place in 1983

The 04 class was another good one with 3 top tier QB's but maybe not 3 HOFers

Wilson is the best of the bunch..... the Elway of the bunch

Luck has the talent but poor supporting cast and no hardware..... Marino

Cousins is probably next.... he could make the leap to 1st tier but unlikely elite he could just as easily be a stiff could go either way

Tannehill is average at best and could be serviceable but had shown very little before this year

Foles will be career backup

RGIII is a bust and will be out of football within 3 years
I have to disagree. Putting Luck on the Skins wouldn't put them in the playoffs....our playcalling and our defense is atrocious. No QB can help with that. Like Luck, Cousins also has no run game with the Skins. Our O-line has been the best thing to happen to him.

LOL RG3 will be gone after next year, if he even comes back next year.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I have to disagree. Putting Luck on the Skins wouldn't put them in the playoffs....our playcalling and our defense is atrocious. No QB can help with that. Like Luck, Cousins also has no run game with the Skins. Our O-line has been the best thing to happen to him.

LOL RG3 will be gone after next year, if he even comes back next year.
Your team missed the playoffs by one game....

You don't think Luck is worth one win over Cousins? Luck threw for more TD's and had nearly identical stats otherwise to Cousins behind a much inferior O line and with fewer weapons than Cousins had....

While Luck has a penchant for untimely INT's I definitely think he is worth one (if not more) wins over Cousins, they aren't in the same stratosphere talent wise

As for RGIII, he may never start again or be effective if he does but there are so many teams that NEED a QB there will be a market for him if he wants to keep trying to recapture the glory.

Look how many chances Vick got....

I would put the over/under on RGIII's career at 3 more seasons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football