U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 AM

634 posts, read 470,375 times

Advertisements

Seahawks @ Falcons: This Seattle defense gave up 34 to Arizona at home. Atlanta will remind everyone who has the number 1 offense in the NFL; Falcons-38, Seahawks-27

Texans @ Patriots: Texans defense prevents game from being bigger blowout; Patriots-34, Texans-13

Steelers @ Chiefs: Should be a very evenly matched game that either team could win; Chiefs-31, Steelers-27

Packers @ Cowboys: Will be most watched game of the year, a real tossup; Cowboys-34, Packers-31

Last week: 3-1

Overall 48-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,057,471 times
Wild Card Round: 4-0

Seahawks @ Falcons-Seahawks were my preseason pick to win the Super Bowl, so I'll stick with my pick. However, the Seahawks have been awful on the road this season. Of course this is the playoffs and the Seahawks usually show up for these big games. They do have the distinction of being the only team to win this year at New England with Tom Brady under center. I think this will be a close game and Seattle will win on some illegal play or a missed field goal. I've never been high on the Falcons. I picked against them most weeks and expect them to find a way to lose this game.

Texans @ Patriots-Is anyone picking the Texans? I didn't think so. I don't expect Osweiler to have another good game. His performance in the wild card game was an anomaly against a Raiders team that went in there clearly deflated after losing their leader. If Osweiler has a big game and the Texans win, I'd say he's worth his $72 million contract. It won't happen though. Although the Super Bowl being played in Houston this year could serve as extra motivation, I don't see the Texans winning this unless something happens to Brady or Belichick.

Steelers @ Chiefs-Steelers were my preseason pick to win the AFC, so I'll stick with that pick. Yeah, going to Arrowhead is difficult, but I like Pittsburgh's chances if less talented teams like the Bucs and Titans can go to KC and get 19-17 wins. Steelers offense is clicking right now and they should get it done as long as Big Ben is healthy.

Packers @ Cowboys-I can't wait for this game! I want to see the Cowboys lose so bad, and I would love to see the Packers be the team that eliminates them from the playoffs. I hope Green Bay wins on a Hail Mary in front of all those smug Cowboys fans. That would singlehandedly save this season for me. I hope Jordy Nelson can play. It would be nice if Rodgers had his whole arsenal available in what should be a hard-fought victory. Packers are on fire right now and I hope they continue to roll into the Super Bowl.

Last edited by maniac77; 01-09-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,414,730 times
Patriots rout Texans, Steelers over KC- Chiefs always play poorly in postseason, Falcons over Seattle- Seahawks are very mediocre away from home, and Atlanta has them out gunned. Packers/Cowboys is a difficult call, but it's hard to go against Rodgers right now.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
While I was away, somebody blew a fuse, and got the Wildcard Weekend thread locked, so I'm STICKing my results right here:

4-0! All the home teams took advantage and pocketed W's!

Congrats to the Texans, Seahawks, Steelers & Packers!

How about that Aaron? Is the Hail Mary guy on his way to the MVP?

And chill out, you hotheads!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM

8,550 posts, read 5,376,283 times
The Packers are on serious roll right now, and if they take that into Dallas, I don't see the boys stopping them. Plus they owe Dallas one from that 30-16 beat down they put on the Packers on their home field back in Oct. I'm a Steelers fan and that Kansas City game scares me though, seem like they play well when they have to.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
Would've picked Pittsburgh, but I'm not confident with Ben's injury.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM

1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Sheesh, people act as the NFL narrative can never change (see Green Bay making NY look like a college team...a team that usually owns the pack).

AFC
Hou at N.E.- Pats all the way.

Pitt at K.C.- This is a good match-up and really could go either way. I will take Pitt though because KC relies on turnovers in the worse way to eek out victories (I'm a Falcons fan, I know). I don't see Ben turning the ball over and Pitt has a defense that won't give up multiple (and crucial) 4th down conversions to KC to prolong scoring drives & stuff. I see the Steelers being more efficient and having something like a 10 point cushion that feels more like a 3 TD lead.

NFC

Packers at Dallas- Tough game and really could go either way. Yes, the Pack are hot right now butttttt, Nelson's gone so I see the Cowboys barely winning this game. The game ends with Aaron Rodgers getting his potential game winning hail mary intercepted in the endzone.

Seattle at Atlanta- The battle-tested, gritty, hardnosed, champions from the Pacific Northwest come to play my soft, overrated (they didn't really earn this 2 seed....weak schedule and all), perennial losers of Atlanta. Okay, enough of that.

I see Atlanta winning this game. Nothing stays perennial forever in the NFL (NYG would be playing Dallas if that were the case). Seattle is missing Earl Thomas and that's always good. Matt Ryan's an NFL veteren, who's 1)playing at home 2)against a team he's familiar with 3)has a ton of weapons. The Falcons already lost a close game to these guys and will come in looking to take care of business. Coleman and Freeman are pretty good weapons in addition to our receivers. Our defense is bad but they no longer look incompetent out there. I think ATL will build a big lead and keep it until the end of the game. We aren't Detroit here.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
People are selling Seattle short. They were my pick to start the season, I won't sell out now. That said, I can completely see Atlanta winning, if Seattle's poor offensive line shows up, they have no chance. Let me add, though:

The Seahawks know they are underdogs. They know they've underachieved this season. They hear the noise and hoopla the media is giving other teams, they know they've had a down year. But do not think for a second that they don't have the motivation to pull this one out. This defense is still loaded--less so with Thomas out obviously. There are still probably three future HOF'ers suiting up for that D on Sunday--Sherman/Wagner/Chancellor (Thomas is going to The Hall, too). Those three guys are Top 5 players of their generation, of the 2010s era, at their positions. They will come to play, they are elite, and they can hold their own in their matchups and assignments. Bank on that...

Let's not also forget that they have several other above-average players on that D--Clark, Bennett, Wright, Avril, Marsh. I don't expect a perfect game with Earl Thomas out, but I do expect a defense that will show up motivated to beat an offense that they've already beaten. This team has Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin and Jimmy Graham, its not like the offense has no weapons. We know what a healthy Wilson can do. They have HOF coaching in Carroll. If--and I will admit it is a big IF, they've been crazy inconsistent--that offensive line from this week and from their best six weeks shows up this coming week, they will beat Atlanta....

Seattle will probably not win a shootout, but a potential for a shootout exists if that line plays at a respectable level. You guys act like this is the Giants or Texans offense, Seattle can explode. They are 4-1 scoring 30+ points this year, the big one coming on the road at New England, so don't tell me this team can't win on the road if that line shows up. They are 0-2 giving up 30+ points, so obviously this isn't the game they want to play. Conversely, the Falcons are 10-1 scoring 30+, and are 4-2 giving up 30+, precisely because their offense can outscore anyone. That's why they are favored, and that's why the Hawks would prefer not to see a high scoring affair!

Falcons are 1-4 when being held under 30. They are 5-3 at home, far from dominant. Seattle will make them play their game while beating them at their own...Seahawks 27, Atlanta 24

Houston will play the Patriots tougher than expected...Patriots 21, Texans 14

I can see either Pittsburgh or Kansas City winning, should be a great game! Arrowhead is not so tough a venue that the Steelers can't win there. Let it be known that I'd rather see KC winning, but I'm picking Pittsburgh...Steelers 23, Chiefs 21

Cowboys have run into a buzz saw, bank on them taking this L. Packers have scored 30+ in the last 5 of this 7-game win streak. Dallas only gave up 30 once this year, and won, but this is a special kind of challenge, the exact quarterback they haven't seen all year, a different Packers team...Packers 34, Cowboys 31

Last edited by murksiderock; 01-09-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,601,267 times
Seattle Seahawks @ Atlanta Falcons....Seattle put the hammer down on pass happy Detroit and will again this weekend. Seattle's defense plays like a house on fire when the chips are down.

Houston Texans @ England Patriots....No way can Houston keep up with Brady and gang

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Kansas City Chiefs.... is the cast on Rottenbuger foot an indication of something they aren't telling us?

Ben Roethlisberger came into the press room after the Miami game wearing a boot on his right foot.

Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys....I really want the Packers to win because that would give my team another home game....but sadly I have to pick the Cowboys.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
SATURDAY, JANUARY 14TH DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS:

SEAHAWKS @ FALCONS – DIVISIONAL BIRDFIGHT – MATTY TAKES FLIGHT!

TEXANS @ PATRIOTS – BRADY (NOT O$WEILER) READY FOR HOUSTON!

SUNDAY, JANUARY 15TH DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS:

STEELERS @ CHIEFS – KILLER BEES ARE THE BEES’ KNEES!

PACKERS @ COWBOYS – Hail Mary, Fully Laced -- Aaron is with Thee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football