U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 1,796,806 times

Advertisements

John Elway with nods to Manning, Brady, and Montana. Rogers has a real shot in several more years.

Never liked Montana but I can't argue his greatness. What I would argue is that he played for the best teams in the league for many years.

Brady is still writing his saga. There may be little debate if he can wrack up two more rings.

Cold harsh reality but longevity and Super Bowl wins must be weighed appreciably. As do many other factors.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM

536 posts, read 474,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
super bowls AGAIN?? theres more to a qb..
Yes there is....like over 60,000 career passing yards, over 450 career TDs, more wins then any QB in NFL history, longest streak of consecutive pass attempts without an INT in NFL history, best TD-INT ratio in a season, best winning percentage of any QB in the Super Bowl era, and so on and so forth.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,763,438 times
Greatest qb threads of all time is such a variable thought. A great qbs success depends upon his team and their quality. Great qbs need great protection, good running backs, good wrs, and flexible coaching.
Reluctantly, I agree Brady is in a position to be ranked as the best---he has had all of the above. Living in South Florida for many years, a guy who did not have great teams behind him----Dan Marino. Had the Fins had better talent Marino would be in the conversation for the best----quick, name some of the great Dolphin backs of the Marino era----you need to think for awhile.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM

18,383 posts, read 23,587,357 times
Tom Brady
Has won more games than anyone else

He's gone to 6 Super Bowls
I don't hold a s p loss against him because
He lead the team to a conference championship
Ahead of 30 other teams

He's lead his team to 6 straight conference titles
Another record

And. Many more records
And at 40 yrs old he's still in the top 3-4 qbs
In the NFL

As Big Ben said this past week I consider Tom Brady
One of if not The best who ever played

Asked if Ben was in Tom Brady s echelon of qbs
Big Ben said NO

He has 4 rings and a hopefully a chance at number 5
This year

Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,866,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
He's lead his team to 6 straight conference titles
Another record
Actually that's held by Jim Kelly at 4.

You're looking for conference title games.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,354,781 times
Mount Quarterback:

Johnny, Joe, Spy Kid! Last one between Roger, Terry, Pey-Pey and The State Farm Guy.......

Off the mount....

Bad to the Bone: too many INT's......!

Machine Gun: receiving end of Supe blowouts.....!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM

1,587 posts, read 990,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Guys like Graham and Sammy Baugh are so hard to measure against the guys of today..
I agree.
My subjective standard, is usually to measure a player against his peers.
Graham & Baugh were dominant QBs of their era. And honestly Baugh could do it all.. QB, punt, and pass defend. But understood, in this conversation only his QB play would be counted..

Old 01-21-2017, 05:00 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
John Elway with nods to Manning, Brady, and Montana. Rogers has a real shot in several more years.
LOL

I personally give it to Brady, but I think Montana belongs in the conversation. Even, barely, Manning (the good one). But Elway? Uh... no... one of the most entertaining players to watch ever, in my opinion (along with Favre) but GOAT? Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I agree.
My subjective standard, is usually to measure a player against his peers.
Graham & Baugh were dominant QBs of their era. And honestly Baugh could do it all.. QB, punt, and pass defend. But understood, in this conversation only his QB play would be counted..
Several points:

First, I think this question is fairly biased towards modern QBs because the closer you get to the present the more important is the QB. Increasingly, football is an offensive game - and increasingly, that offense is passing and not rushing. Simply put, a modern QB is in a position to do more and influence the outcome of his teams game to a greater degree than in previous eras.

Second, there simply is more talent in the modern era. In 1942, while NFL teams scored an average of 175 points per game, the Detroit Lions scored 38 points. In 11 games. What team scores 22% of the league average over an entire season? Even such teams as the 1976 Buccaneers and the 1992 Seahawks, among the absolute worst of the post-merger era, still scored more than 45% of the league-wide average. There simply aren't as many hideously creampuffs in the modern, relatively-balanced NFL. Also, Baugh had the advantage of playing several years against an NFL that had lost a lot of its talent due enlistments and drafting during World War II.

Third, there simply was far less competition back then. Baugh won two NFL titles in 16 seasons, led the league in passing four times, was a six-time all pro... but the league had a mere 10 teams for most of his career (and only 8 in 1943), ballooning up to 13 teams in 1950 and then down to 12 for his final two seasons. It's a lot easier to be the top quarterback in the league when there are only 7 or 9 other starting QBs, than when there are 27 others, or 31 others. The same math holds for NFL titles.

Look at it this way:
It's a harder to win a conference title now (you have to be the best of 16 teams) than it was to win an NFL title before the league expanded to 16 teams in 1967. And it was a lot harder between 1932 and 1959 when the league had no more than 12 teams (save for the single aforementioned 1950 season).

Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,796,806 times
^^^People either love or hate Elway. He is always one of the names on the "Mt Rushmore" of quarterbacks. He willed average teams, who played hard, to games they did not belong in. Five Super Bowls with teams that would often average about three Pro Bowl players.

The majority of the names being tossed around are currently playing. The nature of sports. There will be a day, someday, when people say "who?" when Michael Jordan's name is mentioned.

Another guy that gives a lot of people derangement syndrome just became president.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 PM

3,192 posts, read 6,354,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Mount Quarterback:

Johnny, Joe, Spy Kid! Last one between Roger, Terry, Pey-Pey and The State Farm Guy.......

Off the mount....

Bad to the Bone: too many INT's......!

Machine Gun: receiving end of Supe blowouts.....!
Aw, man, forgot Da Bronco! Duh, on my part.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or