U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 PM

4,984 posts, read 11,050,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
^^ Brady AND Montana are one of the GOATs. It's that simple. You can list a bunch of other QBs that are one of the GOATs, like Unitas, Elway, Starr, Marino, Aikman, Bradshaw, Staubach, Peyton Manning, names like that.
Do you understand what GOAT stands for??

By definition you can't have "multiple GOATs"

Like the Highlander there can be only one....

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,259,538 times
Yes, I do understand what GOAT means. IMO, there are have been quarterbacks past and present, that are considered one of the greatest of all time. Although at the same time, I also understand that only ONE quarterback is considered THE GREATEST of all time. For instance, if anyone is a Pats fan, they would say Tom Brady. Those who aare Cowboy fans, they would say Staubach. However, Packer fans will say Starr because he was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. Those who were Colts fans during their days in Baltimore, they would say Unitas. And of course, those who are Colts fans now would say Peyton Manning. That is just my opinion.

The GOAT in my opinion is Bart Starr because, not only did he win the first two Super Bowls and was the MVP for the the Packers, but he was also a 5x NFL Champion, including the win over Dallas in the famous Ice Bowl, where it was freezing cold.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-22-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 582,778 times
I'm a Niner fan and love Joe - what a treat it was to watch his career! -and yet I say Brady is the QB GOAT.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:37 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,360,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'm well over 35 and Brady is the GOAT period!!!!!

Montana played in an era before the salary cap and free agency when you could build and keep a team together FOREVER....

Brady has taken 7 different teams to the SB....there are only 20 guys on the current roster that played for the Pats just 2 years ago in the Super Bowl...

What Brady and Belichick have done is unprecedented and is unlikely to every be repeated...

In the Salary cap era you can pick up free agents that can make an instant impact. So it goes both ways.

Playing in a era that limits defenses due to rule changes has given QB's a much easier path to put up numbers and succeed. I think it's fair to say the substandard level of competition has benefitted Brady and the Patriots tremendously.

1. Historically weak division
2. Lack of great defensive play as a whole
3. playing in a scheme that had Matt Cassel go 11-5 and have some no name bums get the Patriots off to a 3-1 start this season.

It's ironic that every time Brady has faced a team with a good defense and average QB play he struggles to the point of losing. He is horrible playing on the road in the post season and thanks to his sorry division he pads enough wins to get #1 seed while DEN/KC fight it out in the West and PIT/BAL/CIN fight it out in the North.

Any sensible football fan can see through that. He is great, but he is no Joe Montana.

If Brady struggles against the Giants twice, Denver last year and some of those Baltimore teams then he would have not fared well against those Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins and Ditka Bears who fielded much better defenses. They were in Montana's conference. Gotta wonder how many SBs Brady would have went to having to face those teams every year in the playoffs.

Instead he faces an overachieving Colts team in 2014 and a garbage Texans and weak defensive Steeler team missing their starting RB.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Do you understand what GOAT stands for??

By definition you can't have "multiple GOATs"

Like the Highlander there can be only one....
WEll, some can't make up their mind who the GOAT is or perhaps its too close to call.. so they have a six pack of GOATS..
i am ok with that..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 AM

4,984 posts, read 11,050,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
In the Salary cap era you can pick up free agents that can make an instant impact. So it goes both ways.

Playing in a era that limits defenses due to rule changes has given QB's a much easier path to put up numbers and succeed. I think it's fair to say the substandard level of competition has benefitted Brady and the Patriots tremendously.

3. playing in a scheme that had Matt Cassel go 11-5 and have some no name bums get the Patriots off to a 3-1 start this season.

It's ironic that every time Brady has faced a team with a good defense and average QB play he struggles to the point of losing. He is horrible playing on the road in the post season and thanks to his sorry division he pads enough wins to get #1 seed while DEN/KC fight it out in the West and PIT/BAL/CIN fight it out in the North.

Any sensible football fan can see through that. He is great, but he is no Joe Montana.

If Brady struggles against the Giants twice, Denver last year and some of those Baltimore teams then he would have not fared well against those Parcells Giants, Gibbs Redskins and Ditka Bears who fielded much better defenses. They were in Montana's conference. Gotta wonder how many SBs Brady would have went to having to face those teams every year in the playoffs.

Instead he faces an overachieving Colts team in 2014 and a garbage Texans and weak defensive Steeler team missing their starting RB.

Joe Montana's playoff record on the road 2-5

Brady's playoff record on the road 3-4

The teams in the NFC West during Montana's run....

Atlanta Falcons

LA Rams

New Orleans Saints

A real murderer's row of teams there right?

Montana also won all his Superbowls during an era of historically weak AFC competition

Brady is better.....and sensible football fan can see that and most do...

Old 01-23-2017, 05:49 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Joe Montana's playoff record on the road 2-5

Brady's playoff record on the road 3-4

The teams in the NFC West during Montana's run....

Atlanta Falcons

LA Rams

New Orleans Saints

A real murderer's row of teams there right?

Montana also won all his Superbowls during an era of historically weak AFC competition

Brady is better.....and sensible football fan can see that and most do...
I think Brady is Better, but that JMO.. and has nothing to do with sensibility.. just ask my wife!
I certainly wouldn't question anyone who thought Montana or anyone else was better. Its an OPINION.. period..

This is a my girlfriend is better looking than your girlfriend and its just a personal opinion... there is no clear cut winner and there NEVER will be..

Old 01-23-2017, 06:37 AM

18,352 posts, read 23,527,654 times
Tom Brady is the goat

Leading his team to his 7 th superbowl

That's 7. Times winning the conference championship
Down to two teams out of 32 teams

My god he's almost 40 yrs old
Playing better than most qb s in the league

He makes the players around him better
Even players no one else wanted

The patriots are odds on fav to win the superbowl
Even if they don't win- Tom Brady made it possible
That 52 other teammates has a chance to win

He's done this more than any other qb in history
7 times
Some very good qbs never even make the s b. Once

Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 AM

5,119 posts, read 1,822,621 times
Brady made some amazing tackles other QBs wouldnt have made in that AFC Conf game last night.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,741,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post

Lol....Montana's playoff record on the road is 2-5. No disrespect to Joe BTW who I think was a tremendous QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or