U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 AM

4,322 posts, read 2,259,538 times

Advertisements

That's a great idea, Mco65!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,415,612 times
I'll have to go with Montana, with Brady next. I've been watching since 1970, so I can't say about Unitas and guys like him.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Still, Gibbs was very impressive in his first tenure. You had teams like the 49ers and Dolphins who had franchise, future Hall of Famers, as quarterbacks, yet the Redskins never really had what you considered BIG NAME players on the team other than Darrell Green and John Riggins. Yet, he could get that team to play championship caliber football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Agree with you both. Gibbs is very underrated. Like Noll is, too.

As for big names there was also Art Monk, and Joe Theismann (it's THEEZ-man, remember!).
I wouldn't put Theismann up there. Good, serviceable QB, but.. I was never overly impressed with him as a QB.

All the Receivers were pretty dang good. Yes, certainly Art Monk, but toss Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders in there as well.

And.. Dexter. Loved Dexter.. Glad to see he seems to have gotten his life back on track.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 582,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
That's a great idea, Mco65!
I was thinking the same thing!

Update. Decided to check, it's there. NFL Coaches GOATS: The Greatest Of All Time

Cool!

Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I was thinking the same thing!

Update. Decided to check, it's there. NFL Coaches GOATS: The Greatest Of All Time

Cool!
cool., will go check!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:17 AM

3,188 posts, read 6,345,206 times
I do put both Joe and Brady in my Mount QB. But comparing the two, I'll admit, could be apples v. oranges. Joe had a lot of 'unregulated chiropractors' working on his back, back then, while Brady and today's millennial QB's have a more complex playbook! (Yes, probably even more complex than that of Bill Walsh!).....!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,457,518 times
There was a sports radio discussion on which QB you would want in the Super Bowl. Not talking GOAT, or how many Super Bowls played in, just which QB would you want playing in the Super Bowl.

As with the GOAT discussion, it came down to the same two - Brady or Montana. Montana's record and stats in the Super Bowl are stellar. We can say he had Rice. But the discussion leaned towards Montana being the best Super Bowl QB of all-time, yet most still stated that overall Brady is the GOAT. Coach and players always say how hard it is to get 8 wins in a season, or just get to the playoffs, or just win one game in the playoffs, etc.

Brady's post season in his career is ridiculous. He's played a season worth of AFC Championship games and Super Bowls in his career. If it's so hard just getting there, the sheer numbers show Brady as the GOAT, from the discussion I was listening to.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wouldn't put Theismann up there. Good, serviceable QB, but.. I was never overly impressed with him as a QB.

All the Receivers were pretty dang good. Yes, certainly Art Monk, but toss Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders in there as well.

And.. Dexter. Loved Dexter.. Glad to see he seems to have gotten his life back on track.
Joe Theismann was no Joe Montana, but he was elected to the Pro Bowl twice and elected as an All-Pro in 1983. Definitely considered the last true franchise quarterback for the Redskins. Would have liked to have seen him play more with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. I think we got Sanders after Theismann broke his leg, but I believe we had gotten Clark around '84. I do think if Theismann had not gotten hurt, he probably could have gotten one more ring - and I bet that would have been enough to have gotten him into the Hall of Fame.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 582,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Joe Theismann was no Joe Montana, but he was elected to the Pro Bowl twice and elected as an All-Pro in 1983. Definitely considered the last true franchise quarterback for the Redskins. Would have liked to have seen him play more with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. I think we got Sanders after Theismann broke his leg, but I believe we had gotten Clark around '84. I do think if Theismann had not gotten hurt, he probably could have gotten one more ring - and I bet that would have been enough to have gotten him into the Hall of Fame.
Wikipedia has a page for "NFL Lore", for key plays that NFL fans will always remember (Immaculate Reception, Music City Miracle, Wide Right, etc). Theismann's broken leg was not on it. Anyone who was around and saw it on TV will always remember. It was on Monday Night Football, so it was the only game on TV.

I saw it, ABC kept replaying it because Frank Gifford and the other broadcasters did not notice the grotesquely mangled leg hanging on only by his white sock, while most everyone watching on TV saw it early.

And they replayed it, over and over. Until Gifford finally saw it and said, "Oh no."

I couldn't believe that wasn't included on the NFL Lore page. A couple of days ago, I added it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...gue_lore#1980s

I tried to describe it gingerly but with enough description to justify why it belongs as lore. It was a brutal hit, LT was a wild man back then, an animal on the field (he was probably high), and that broken leg scene was brutal, and it's why the Washington Post called it "The Hit That No One Who Saw It Can Ever Forget".

Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
I would have to say it is the kid from California, Tom Brady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or