U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,734 posts, read 4,258,164 times
Reputation: 4713

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Looked at a couple sites, here we go.

SB-VI---12 completions out of 23 attempts for 132 yards and 1 interception. QB rating--51.2%.

Actually I can come up with one that is lower than low.

SB-XII.
Craig Morton, Bronco quarterback. 4 completions out of 15 attempts for 39 yards and 4 interceptions.
QB rating? 0.

He was mercifully pulled midway in the 3rd quarter. Norris Weese finished the game for Denver, stats weren't a lot better, at least he didn't throw any interceptions anyway.
This was MOrtons make good for SB V.. just sayin..

Morton, another pretty good if not great QB overshadowed by their successor.
You can't simply ignore the fact that he lead 2 different teams to the SB... you can cringe when looking at his performance from those games, but you can't ignore that he got them there..

 
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 AM
 
16,541 posts, read 21,034,478 times
Reputation: 48003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
This was MOrtons make good for SB V.. just sayin..

Morton, another pretty good if not great QB overshadowed by their successor.
You can't simply ignore the fact that he lead 2 different teams to the SB... you can cringe when looking at his performance from those games, but you can't ignore that he got them there..
There was good reason to cringe regards to SB-XII. Craig didn't have the scrambling ability that Roger had. He had a great year leading Denver to a 12-2 regular season. What hurt him was the Pittsburgh divisional playoff game where he was beat to a pulp. And put up 34 points on the Steel Curtain defense!


His mobility was nil against the Raiders in the AFC Championship game but he played a gutty game. The Cowboys doomsday D was just a little much for the Broncos O-line though. But Craig showed first class leadership with the club which is why head coach Red Miller traded for him. And mentored the younger qb's-Craig Penrose, Norris Weese, and later Matt Robinson. Craig is a member of the Broncos Ring Of Fame.

What hurt Craig when he got to Denver was those two and a half years with the NY Giants. He was a great fit for Denver and loved his time there. Morton had a strong throwing arm, if you gave him time to throw he would pick you apart.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: addition, spelling
 
Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,734 posts, read 4,258,164 times
Reputation: 4713
There is a reason why Landry struggled deciding between Staubach or Morton as his starting QB... Morton was pretty good.
 
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
 
16,541 posts, read 21,034,478 times
Reputation: 48003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There is a reason why Landry struggled deciding between Staubach or Morton as his starting QB... Morton was pretty good.
He was. In fact, the Cowboys drafted him in the first round of the 1965 draft. As the Cowboys still had losing seasons up till that point in time, it was understandable while Schramm drafted Morton as high as he did. He wasn't drafted very high in the AFL at all, but IIRC Morton came right out and said he wanted to go to the NFL, not AFL. The merger took place the year after (1966.)
 
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
3,451 posts, read 8,169,833 times
Reputation: 2346
How much were the Broncos hurt by having to play the Cowboys in the 1977 regular season finale? Looking at both teams' schedules, it looks like both Denver (who was 12-1 entering the game) and Dallas (who came into the game with an 11-2 record) had wrapped up the #1 seed in their respective conferences. Did either or both teams play starters in that game, and if so, for how long? (Incidentally for the curious, the Cowboys won the regular season game at Texas Stadium 14-6.)
 
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,202,861 times
Reputation: 4161
I think just blindly looking at historical results and saying "X QB was the GOAT because he has X amount of Super Bowls" is ignorant. I said earlier in this thread I don't really believe that is possible to label a "GOAT" QB for a number of reasons I won't rehash. But if I had to I would take into account the QB's overall ability, ability to perform in big moments, statistics, intangibles, etc.

I'm not really making a list of "greatest" QBs so much as thinking of it terms of "If I was starting a franchise from scratch and could pick any QB from history, who would I want?"

1. Tom Brady- Has off the charts intangibles and has shown an ability to put up big stats and be a game manager.

2. Peyton Manning- Most game winning drives in history by a long shot, extremely high football IQ, had some of the greatest QBing seasons in NFL history

3. Dan Marino- Rocket arm and lightning fast release. Let down by mediocre talent around him, Dolphins never built around him. Had he been on the 49ers he would have at least 4 rings if not more.

4. John Elway- The closest thing to a 1 man show in the NFL for most of his career. Outside of 1989 when Denver had a borderline dominant D he spent most of his career dragging along a mediocre Broncos franchise. Had great mobility and a rocket arm. Retired with the most game winning drives in NFL history.

5. Aaron Rodgers- Total package at QB. Maybe the "GOAT" outside the pocket. Deceptively strong arm, ultra accurate, and great mobility. May be the hardest QB to sack in the league.

#6 is still open for me but I would consider Joe Montana there. If you stock talent at every level of the team you can win with Montana, that's not a knock necessarily but it is what it is.
 
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,737 posts, read 11,585,573 times
Reputation: 12484
I've been rather vocal about how can you do all time because of how the game has changed. Another reason is many here have much more football knowledge than I do.

I saw a list John Clayton of ESPN put out and I like it. It mixes in newer and older, which I think you have to do when you consider greatest.

Brady
Montana
Manning
Unitas
Graham
Elway
Favre
Marino
Bradshaw
Rodgers - as much as I'm a Rodgers fan, too early to put him on an all time list, he is 33 and not done yet.
Starr
Young

Greatest quarterbacks of all time ranking - John Clayton picks Tom Brady of New England Patriots as best NFL QB ever
 
Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 AM
 
Location: SF Giants Nation 2010◆2012◆2014
1,043 posts, read 592,612 times
Reputation: 727
John Clayton finished his list with Kelly, Staubach, and Tarkenton:

Brady
Montana
Manning
Unitas
Graham
Elway
Favre
Marino
Bradshaw
Rodgers
Starr
Young
Kelly
Staubach
Tarkenton

That's a pretty good list there. Manning is one of the greatest, yes, and I agree with ranking Elway above Favre then Marino. I don't think Starr was that good but I never saw him play live, and from what I've read and the replays I've seen I figured him for a game manager and not the QB artist comeback king, not even close, that Unitas was. But Clayton, where's Sammy Baugh?
 
Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 PM
 
16,541 posts, read 21,034,478 times
Reputation: 48003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
How much were the Broncos hurt by having to play the Cowboys in the 1977 regular season finale? Looking at both teams' schedules, it looks like both Denver (who was 12-1 entering the game) and Dallas (who came into the game with an 11-2 record) had wrapped up the #1 seed in their respective conferences. Did either or both teams play starters in that game, and if so, for how long? (Incidentally for the curious, the Cowboys won the regular season game at Texas Stadium 14-6.)
IIRC both clubs rested their starters in the second half. Bronco quarterbacks Norris Weese and Craig Penrose got most of the snaps. I wasn't really surprised to see that as Denver had home field advantage wrapped after beating the Oilers at the Astrodome in week 12.
 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
3,667 posts, read 1,809,725 times
Reputation: 4709
Great comments...

What if we polled 50 past and present NFL coaches? Asked them to secretly pick a fantasy team of 22 year old players....past and present. That might be the best way to decide on the GOAT. I think Elway would do quite well indeed.

Marino had the best arm in the league....no doubt. He collapsed like a wet doll when the rush was on.
Manning would probably win this poll but his body did not seem to agree with cold weather.
Montana's "weakness" is that he played for a hyper dominant team that a lot of qb's could have taken to the SB. Young had even better stats when he took over.
Brady wins statistically...no doubt. The question is what is Brady without Belichik? Brady was a 6th round pick after all.
Rogers? I am quite open to his consideration after his resume has been polished some more.
Elway? He quit in his statistical prime and the team disintegrated without him. He would do that differently if given another chance.

There has never been "the perfect quarterback" in my opinion. Like a Michael Jordan that simply shone heads and shoulders above the rest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I think just blindly looking at historical results and saying "X QB was the GOAT because he has X amount of Super Bowls" is ignorant. I said earlier in this thread I don't really believe that is possible to label a "GOAT" QB for a number of reasons I won't rehash. But if I had to I would take into account the QB's overall ability, ability to perform in big moments, statistics, intangibles, etc.

I'm not really making a list of "greatest" QBs so much as thinking of it terms of "If I was starting a franchise from scratch and could pick any QB from history, who would I want?"

1. Tom Brady- Has off the charts intangibles and has shown an ability to put up big stats and be a game manager.

2. Peyton Manning- Most game winning drives in history by a long shot, extremely high football IQ, had some of the greatest QBing seasons in NFL history

3. Dan Marino- Rocket arm and lightning fast release. Let down by mediocre talent around him, Dolphins never built around him. Had he been on the 49ers he would have at least 4 rings if not more.

4. John Elway- The closest thing to a 1 man show in the NFL for most of his career. Outside of 1989 when Denver had a borderline dominant D he spent most of his career dragging along a mediocre Broncos franchise. Had great mobility and a rocket arm. Retired with the most game winning drives in NFL history.

5. Aaron Rodgers- Total package at QB. Maybe the "GOAT" outside the pocket. Deceptively strong arm, ultra accurate, and great mobility. May be the hardest QB to sack in the league.

#6 is still open for me but I would consider Joe Montana there. If you stock talent at every level of the team you can win with Montana, that's not a knock necessarily but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top