U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 AM

1,049 posts, read 598,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The 49ers lost that game because of Roger Craig's fumble.
That one REALLY hurt. The 49ers would've been the first-ever (and still the only) 3-peat SB champions.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 AM

600 posts, read 255,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
It is close, I admit, and that's a good point. I give the edge to Brady because he's done it longer, and he has elevated not-great teams to greatness.
And you provide a good counterpoint too, although the rules seem to protect the QB more these days. Regardless, I take nothing away from Brady.

These points make it so very difficult to pick an all-time GOAT. Quite easier if it is broken down by decade.

After yesterday's game, Aaron Rodgers is rising to near the top IMO.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 495,243 times
I pretty much agree with echo7tango's top group (Brady, Montana, Unitas, Graham, Baugh) and would add P. Manning. From there, it's tough for me to pick one.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,403,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Not totally relevant to this thread (yet), but I watched some videos from skip/shannon on Rodgers vs. Brady this morning. Skip likes to hate on Rodgers for failing in the playoffs since his super bowl, and I've done that before too, but one little play changes so much for a QB's legacy.

Rodgers has had similar playoff troubles. But that one play changed from Brady being a great QB who was a has-been in the biggest moments to potentially the GOAT (or at least undisputably top 2 or 3). It all changed on one play when he wasn't even on the field. It really is a team game. Defense really does win championships, even on offensive teams.
Ha, I recall debating with you every year come playoff time on Rodgers & the Packers playoff performance. You always doubted Rodgers along with the Packers.
I completely agree though. It's a team game & about defense. And yes a play here or there changes things greatly & a QB can only do so much. In Packers last 3 playoff losses Rodgers/Packers led a game-tying drive in the final 6mins of the 4thQ but never got to touch the ball again. Last night you saw what happened when Packers got the ball at the end of the game.

Last edited by everwinter; 01-16-2017 at 06:15 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,207,143 times
Dan Marino. No one tossed the ball like him. Wins don't necessarily equal 'greatest' unless that's put into the question.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I completely agree though. It's a team game & about defense.
Definitely. As for defense, for a clear example look back to Dan Fouts and the days of Air Coryell. QB Fouts, WR Charlie Joiner, WR Wes Chandler, TE Kellen Winslow, and RB Chuck Muncie could move the ball at will. A very fun offense to watch, but unfortunately they had a porous defense. If it weren't for The Freezer Bowl, they likely go to SB XVI against the 49ers (wow, but The Freezer Bowl was one week after a hot and humid The Epic in Miami, one of the greatest games I've ever watched).

Switching gears, a QB is kind of like the US President in that they sometimes (key word there) get too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when the team loses. But the great ones can really work some magic.

And then there is Aaron Rodgers, and yesterday he played great and worked a lot of magic. 2 or 3 plays before Mason Crosby's game winning FG with 3 seconds left on the clock, the Cowboys get a critical sack to push the Packers outside of FG range. At that point we're probably looking at OT. But then the play just before the winning FG, Rodgers was magic in rolling left, buying time and hitting Jared Cook on 3rd and 20. Cook's catch on the left sideline was a great play. Rodgers was great yesterday and he's the biggest reason why the Packers are advancing to the next round.

Rodgers has only started for 9 seasons (out of his 12 in the league) - just over half the longevity of Brady's 16 starting seasons. If Rodgers can continue playing great for 6+ more seasons, he could be among the greats.

But Brady at 39, it's incredible what he is doing at his age. When Montana was 39, he was playing golf and sipping on mai-tais. Or with his winery, it was probably a glass of cab or zin. He certainly was not setting the NFL's best TD-to-int ratio of all time.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Dan Marino. No one tossed the ball like him. Wins don't necessarily equal 'greatest' unless that's put into the question.
Marino was great, definitely. Probably one of the best pure passers of all time. But not the greatest QB of all time - no mobility. And no championships. Yes he is among the greatest QBs to have never won a championship.

But, not even in my top 5 of Brady, Montana, Unitas, Graham, and Slingin' Sammy Baugh.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 AM

3,724 posts, read 3,912,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
The QB position in the NFL is ultimately judged by wins and losses and titles. I think Marino is one of the best players in NFL history. But he takes a knock for only having played in a single Super Bowl and having no titles to show for. I'd be willing to bet Dan would give up a lot of his personal success to have at least one ring.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The QB position in the NFL is ultimately judged by wins and losses and titles. I think Marino is one of the best players in NFL history. But he takes a knock for only having played in a single Super Bowl and having no titles to show for.
And he got SPANKED by Joe Cool and the Niners!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I'd be willing to bet Dan would give up a lot of his personal success to have at least one ring.
Most definitely!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,403,234 times
Rodgers may be in the conversation someday regarding top QBs. Looking at this chart comparing his first 150 games with other top QBs, & his yards, TDs, & interception numbers are tops.

Comparing Aaron Rodgers and other NFL quarterbacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or