Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times

Advertisements

Alright, as a 49er fan who loved Joe Montana and got to watch him play, and claimed he was the GOAT, it's time to admit that the Mighty Montana has been replaced. Even though I hate to say it, I have to admit that Tom Brady is now the Greatest Of All Time. Brady has done it longer and better than Montana did. This season, at his age and with this team, Brady has excelled.

Yes I know Montana never lost a Super Bowl, and he never threw a pick in the Super Bowl (hello, Lewis Billups). But

So, Tom Brady is #1, and Joe Montana is #2. Hate to say it, I love the 49ers and Joe, but it's true.

Thoughts? Of all the NFL QBs, of all time, who is the GOAT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Alright, as a 49er fan who loved Joe Montana and got to watch him play, and claimed he was the GOAT, it's time to admit that the Mighty Montana has been replaced. Even though I hate to say it, I have to admit that Tom Brady is now the Greatest Of All Time. Brady has done it longer and better than Montana did. This season, at his age and with this team, Brady has excelled.

Yes I know Montana never lost a Super Bowl, and he never threw a pick in the Super Bowl (hello, Lewis Billups). But

So, Tom Brady is #1, and Joe Montana is #2. Hate to say it, I love the 49ers and Joe, but it's true.

Yeah, I'm a lifelong 49ers and Raiders fan (add in that I can't stand Brady, nor the Patriots) who has gone through the same progression you list above, and I have to agree with you. Until last year I hung onto Montana as #1...saying he has never cheated and that gave him a leg up. Then last year, as a comment re Brady's pending suspension IIRC, Montana made a boneheaded comment that essentially boiled down to 'you (any successful QB) do what you can get away with'. What made Montana's comment especially boneheaded was that he thought the comment bolstered the case for himself as GOAT .

I still don't wan't Brady to ever get another ring, nor the Patriots to ever get another Lombardi trophy to move into a tie with the 49ers (and unfortunately, the Cowboys....and I don't want the Cowboys to ever win another Lombardi trophy either).

Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
We've had this discussion many times and it is really hard to pick one QB as the greatest. You have to consider ALL the QBs going WAY back, not just the SB ones.

I always consider the team around the particular QB, plus win/losses, number of playoff or SBs wins are not a QB stat.

Next thing is rule changes, protections for the QBs as the game has changed since the 60s when the first SBs were played.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pro-f...st+quarterback

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pro-f...brady+greatest

Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
I have to agree that there have been discussions like this in the recent past, and they usually seem rather subjective to me. QBs which have been excellent some years are then not as wonderful the next few.

Superbowls shouldn't always be the only way to measure a QB. There have been way too many great ones who never "arrived". Also, too many great old timers which are rarely if ever mentioned as well.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Brady was the GOAT far before 01/13/17.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
All-time is a long time. Most current day NFL fans have poor long term memory. It's too hard to decide who is the greatest. Too many changes to the game have happened.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:50 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Totally agree, like the poor long term memory part. I've been watching football a very long time (hint graduated high school in 1965), and I don't want to pick the greatest of all time!

Old 01-14-2017, 04:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
there are a lot of great QBs over the decades, YA title for instance, or how about dan marino, rodger staubach, george blanda, johnny unitas, among many others.

in the end, who is considered the best depends on who you talk to and what standrd you use. marino practically rewrote the record books, and then brett favre came along and changed a lot of those entries, as did tom brady. jim kelly led the bills to four straight super bowls, granted he lost all of them, but there you are. and how about fran tarkington? troy aikman?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:22 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post

I've never understood this argument (not sayin' you're making it, OP).

It's like claiming that the sprinter who won four medals - all golds - in the dozen events in which he competed, is better than the other sprinter who won four golds and two silvers. How on Earth does finishing off the podium entirely rank better than finishing second? How is losing a conference championship game (like Montana did in 1990, arguably his best non-championship season) better than winning a conference championship game before losing the Super Bowl? How is getting bounced out in the divisional round by a wild card team (like Montana did in 1987, probably his second-best non-championship season) better than winning a divisional game and a conference game before losing the Super Bowl?

It makes no sense. None at all. Yet I have frequently heard this argument made.

Back to the question - I would give it to Brady. Why? The championships, yes. The six trips. The constant winning every single season. The game-winning drives. The tens trips (so far) to conference championship games. The amazing 11-2 record in opening playoff games. The juggernaut of 2007. The durability (missing 15 games due to injury in 16 seasons as a starter is extremely durable for a modern NFL quarterback). The winning with so many receivers and never a great running back.

That said, I think it's entirely reasonable that Montana is in the conversation.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:25 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Look at the historic Redskins rosters. You'll have a plethora of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football