Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,993,123 times

Advertisements

49ers fans would rather have lost to Atlanta than lost the SB. 49ers fans would bring up their 5 SB wins, not their 6 SB appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,574,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
49ers fans would rather have lost to Atlanta than lost the SB. 49ers fans would bring up their 5 SB wins, not their 6 SB appearances.
Then they are DUMB if they really feel that way.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM

No, they're just not from Buffalo. I'm a Flyers fan, and I don't think about all the countless stanley cups they've lost. It's not an enjoyable thought.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,736,891 times
Quote:
I'm sure you think you speak for 49ers fans. Of course, you don't.

Regardless, the idea that not making it to a championship event is somehow superior to making it to one is the height of illogic. That sort of silliness would hold that the Bills were the worst NFL team from 1990 to 1993, as they were the only team to lose a championship during that time.

Quote:
No, they're just from Buffalo. I'm a Flyers fan, and I don't think about all the countless stanley cups they've lost. It's not an enjoyable thought.
Whether or not it's enjoyable is irrelevant. The issue is that slogging all the way to the final round is a metric of success. Hey, you're free to think that post-1975, the Flyers are the worst team in the NHL because they've lost more Cups than any other team in that span. But that doesn't change the fact that such a thought process makes zero sense.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No, they're just not from Buffalo. I'm a Flyers fan, and I don't think about all the countless stanley cups they've lost. It's not an enjoyable thought.
You're telling me 49er fans would rather just sit on their 5 Championships and never go to another super bowl because their perfect record is blemished? Have fun watching history pass you by then. Why make it to the playoffs if were just going to lose the first game? Why make it to the super bowl if we are just going to lose? Realize how dumb that sounds?

Besides, this is a comparison of Montana vs. Brady basically. What's Montana's excuse for not going to as many conference championship games and super bowls as Brady? He and the 49ers knew they would lose them so why even bother punching a ticket for them?

Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Of course I don't. I can't stand the bay area, would never associate with them. But I do recall Steve Young saying "in SF, you don't lose super bowls. Losing conference championships is fine" right before they lost their SB. I'm guessing many SF fans feel the same way, and feel more upset about losing to Baltimore than to New York the previous year (even though they probably had more business winning the game against NY).

Of course it doesn't make you the worst team. Sort of like people laughing at teams in the big 10 (OSU this year, MSU last year) for getting their ass kicked in the final 4 even though they were good enough to get there, which is a significant accomplishment.

Obviously the Flyers aren't the worst. Other than the past few years, they've been to the playoffs almost every year the past 20+ years, and even gone deep a number of times. Not many teams can say that. But I know they're also choke artists when it comes to championships.

Quote:
You're telling me 49er fans would rather just sit on their 5 Championships and never go to another super bowl because their perfect record is blemished? Have fun watching history pass you by then. Why make it to the playoffs if were just going to lose the first game? Why make it to the super bowl if we are just going to lose? Realize how dumb that sounds?

Besides, this is a comparison of Montana vs. Brady basically. What's Montana's excuse for not going to as many conference championship games and super bowls as Brady? He and the 49ers knew they would lose them so why even bother punching a ticket for them?
What I'm saying is OT to this thread. I don't think the GOAT should necessarily be tied to SB success (for individual QBs, not for teams). And no, of course they don't want to lose future playoff games. But when they look back on it, they're not going to think: damn we were good. We beat GB and ATL and got to the SB. No, they'll (the fans) look back on the Montana championships.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is OT to this thread. I don't think the GOAT should necessarily be tied to SB success (for individual QBs, not for teams). And no, of course they don't want to lose future playoff games. But when they look back on it, they're not going to think: damn we were good. We beat GB and ATL and got to the SB. No, they'll (the fans) look back on the Montana championships.
Problem is with time those championships will be 30, 40, 50+ years ago. Many fans will have no memory of them at all. Heck, they are already 30+ years ago some of them. And no, GOAT isn't tied only to super bowl success. But also, other playoff success (Super bowl appearances, playoff wins) and regular season success. Brady has all those check marked fairly well too.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM

744 posts, read 475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Alright, as a 49er fan who loved Joe Montana and got to watch him play, and claimed he was the GOAT, it's time to admit that the Mighty Montana has been replaced. Even though I hate to say it, I have to admit that Tom Brady is now the Greatest Of All Time. Brady has done it longer and better than Montana did. This season, at his age and with this team, Brady has excelled.

Yes I know Montana never lost a Super Bowl, and he never threw a pick in the Super Bowl (hello, Lewis Billups). But

So, Tom Brady is #1, and Joe Montana is #2. Hate to say it, I love the 49ers and Joe, but it's true.

Thoughts? Of all the NFL QBs, of all time, who is the GOAT??
I have been thinking about this also over recent years, but I think I might still give the edge to Montana because I believe he faced tougher defenses: Skins, Bears, Giants...

Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,684,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
and no QB in modern history had LESS to do with a SB victory than Manning last year.
Not even close.

- Brad Johnson, Super Bowl 37
- Trent Dilfer, SB 35
- Bob Griese, SB 7 (8 of 11, 69 yards total)

To name a few. Peyton was 13 of 23.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,684,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
I have been thinking about this also over recent years, but I think I might still give the edge to Montana because I believe he faced tougher defenses: Skins, Bears, Giants...
It is close, I admit, and that's a good point. I give the edge to Brady because he's done it longer, and he has elevated not-great teams to greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football