Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,502,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Raiders will be fine where they are. The 49ers are in trouble, not many people are willing to spend hours getting to San Jose in order to see them lose
What is up with that? Why did they build so far away from San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,434,720 times
I think it will be a good thing for the Raiders. Las Vegas Raiders just seems to have a nice ring to it.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,591,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think it will be a good thing for the Raiders. Las Vegas Raiders just seems to have a nice ring to it.
Yep! I'm warming up to their new name as well. The Vegas Raiders may become my other bandwagon team after the Cards!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I don't think anyone can afford real estate in San Francisco to build.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:00 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I think they wanted to stake out a spot closer to San Jose before the Raiders or another team potentially moved their. Isn't San Jose the third largest city in CA now and growing?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,434,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Raiders will be fine where they are. The 49ers are in trouble, not many people are willing to spend hours getting to San Jose in order to see them lose
That stadium was intended for two teams but I think the Raiders are definitely getting a better deal moving to Las Vegas than they would get moving in with the 49ers.

What is it with the Davis men seeming like such reckless trainwrecks most of the time but actually being brilliant/shrewd businessmen?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:16 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,016,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Nope. Fine with the Raiders moving to Vegas. It's a different situation. Raiders spent over a decade in Los Angeles. They have a large following all up and down CA. Vegas is a city that wants a pro sports team and has a lot to offer. While I would prefer they stay in Oakland, at least a move to Vegas makes sense. I can't say the same for the Chargers. Chargers will be the third most popular NFL team in LA behind the Rams and a team that won't even be in the city, the Las Vegas Raiders.
I get your point, but the move "making sense" is of little comfort to the devoted Raider fans in Oakland. They will lose their team and won't be able to just drive 2 hours on the freeway to see them. They may have even voted to provide some public funding to get a stadium done, we'll never know. They didn't get a chance to vote.

SD citizens did get that chance, and voted accordingly. Now I'm not saying they "deserve" to lose the Chargers, but they certainly played a role in this.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,434,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I get your point, but the move "making sense" is of little comfort to the devoted Raider fans in Oakland. They will lose their team and won't be able to just drive 2 hours on the freeway to see them. They may have even voted to provide some public funding to get a stadium done, we'll never know. They didn't get a chance to vote.

SD citizens did get that chance, and voted accordingly. Now I'm not saying they "deserve" to lose the Chargers, but they certainly played a role in this.

I'm a devoted fan of the Washington Redskins. It takes me at least 5 to 5 and half hours to see them play at home.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:14 PM

17,545 posts, read 17,492,655 times
The Vegas Craps, the Vegas Bookies, the Vegas Dunes, the Vegas Mobsters, the Vegas Pit Bosses, the Vegas Pimps

Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,621,311 times
From a local perspective -

The city is excited. A lot of the long-time residents who are into sports are glad to see that UNLV football will be getting one hell of an upgrade.
Sam Boyd stadium (where they play now) is an exhausted dump that sits nearly 10 miles away from the campus.

As for the NFL, most people know that our citizens consist of people who used to live in every corner of the country... but when I drive around, I see LOTS of Raiders stickers on cars... Lots of Raider gear being worn.
We actually have two popular Oakland Raiders bar/pubs in Las Vegas.

The stadium will get plenty of use. A large scale stadium near the Strip is something we just do not have.
The newly opened T-Mobile arena is the biggest at 20,000. Our city has already missed out on some events because of a lack of a large stadium near the tourist hub.

I'll put it this way... VERY few people thought NHL hockey would commit to Las Vegas... so the league demanded that the city conducted a season ticket drive to gauge interest.
There were two rules... the first was that you had to be a local and the second was that you couldn't be a business owner buying up a whole section of seats. So in an arena that seats 17,500 for hockey, they had to stop selling season tickets once 13,000 were sold. So many people said we wouldn't even hit 10k.

And this was for the least popular of the big four sports.

Now we are talking NFL... the undisputed king.

Las Vegas will not have to tarp off entire sections of seats at the stadium the way they had to in Oakland. It will stay jam packed and there will be far more locals in attendance than people will suspect heading into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football