U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,254,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm a devoted fan of the Washington Redskins. It takes me at least 5 to 5 and half hours to see them play at home.
I used to be within 25 min.. now it takes me a 12 hour drive or couple hour plane ride to go see the Cowboys..
yea, i have season tix.

Still the Raiders have a HUGE following outside of the Bay area.. how many among us (living on the EAST COAST) that doesn't have more than 1 Raider fan as a friend.. of the course, the 2 i know are from the Bay area. .just moved east once they got older..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:33 PM

927 posts, read 1,211,826 times
The Raiders will not be moving to Sin City after all. Sheldon Adelson and Goldman Sachs have pulled out of the deal. This leaves the supremely moronic and incompetent Mark Davis holding the bag. If you all will recall MD came calling on San Antonio roughly 3 years ago, dangled the Raiders in front of us, and then decided in the end to give SA the middle finger. That was a very stupid, short-sighted thing to do. The SA-Austin corridor is booming in every way, has three times the population of the Las Vegas region, and would be a great area for any NFL franchise to move into. This is well known now.

The decision not to move the Raiders to South Texas has had lasting repercussions for MD. With the Vegas deal on life support and virtually dead, MD has few options left. He could have had his team playing in a very sufficient Alamodome with the promise of a newer bigger dome down the road. The Alamodome is not state of the art but would be infinitely superior to that ancient cesspool in Oakland. It's covered, can hold 72,000 people for football games and is already paid for. Davis' refusal to move to Texas when he had the chance will prove to be his downfall in the end.

Given such an opportunity that was presented to MD by San Antonio city leaders back then, any owner or even any competent businessman would have grabbed the deal. So, after all has been said the proposed move to LV by the Raiders was just a quixotic fantasy gone bad. Congratulations Mark. You have proven yourself to be a complete idiot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...amble-for.html

Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM

11,736 posts, read 11,582,004 times
I'm not sure how I feel about this and with fans being a fickle bunch, will they be able to establish a steady crowd in their stadium? Or will it be like teams that don't do great but end up depending on fans from other teams coming to town to fill the stadium? It is a known fact fans will go to see a Tom Brady, the Steelers, Packers, not necessarily their own team.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,895,805 times
The Raiders belong in Oakland and not San Antonio. I hope they can get something done and stay in the Bay Area.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Raiders belong in Oakland and not San Antonio. I hope they can get something done and stay in the Bay Area.
Can you explain what you mean by "belong"? MD couldn't give a sh*t less about the fan base in the Bay Area. All he cares about is getting a new stadium built somewhere for his team. And since the City of Oakland will not or cannot build this stadium for Davis he will go somewhere else. This league and its respective owners care about one thing and one thing only. And that is making lots of cash for themselves. Fan bases simply do not matter to them. Skyboxes and premium seats do.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,273,242 times
I think the Raiders moving to Las Vegas was scrapped, failed I guess. Ithink the Raiders will sty in Oakland for the next three years.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,805,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The Raiders will not be moving to Sin City after all. Sheldon Adelson and Goldman Sachs have pulled out of the deal.

The decision not to move the Raiders to South Texas has had lasting repercussions for MD. With the Vegas deal on life support and virtually dead, MD has few options left. He could have had his team playing in a very sufficient Alamodome with the promise of a newer bigger dome down the road. The Alamodome is not state of the art but would be infinitely superior to that ancient cesspool in Oakland. It's covered, can hold 72,000 people for football games and is already paid for. Davis' refusal to move to Texas when he had the chance will prove to be his downfall in the end.

Given such an opportunity that was presented to MD by San Antonio city leaders back then, any owner or even any competent businessman would have grabbed the deal. So, after all has been said the proposed move to LV by the Raiders was just a quixotic fantasy gone bad. Congratulations Mark. You have proven yourself to be a complete idiot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...amble-for.html
Sounds nice, but Jerry was shooting down that pipe dream from the start. Never mind San Anton' having a really small metro area to pull fans from and not a ton of corporations to sell suites and lux boxes to.

mod edit-one sentence deleted

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-05-2017 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: regarding that last sentence--DON'T!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Sounds nice, but Jerry was shooting down that pipe dream from the start. Never mind San Anton' having a really small metro area to pull fans from and not a ton of corporations to sell suites and lux boxes to.

mod edit-one sentence deleted
Jerry Jones and Bob McNair can go to Hell for all I care about their views on a third team in Texas. And also, San Antonio is now the 25th sized metro area in the nation and rapidly and I mean growing still. The Austin area. just 60 miles to the north, would fall into the 100 mile radius that the NFL stipulates as a franchise region. This combination of the 2.5 million people in the SA Metro area and the 2 million residing around Austin would make SA-ATX the 15 largest media market for the league and the networks.

Las Vegas cannot come close to matching this area as far as population base, TV ratings potential or even shear wealth. LV, the 41st market in the country, just doesn't rank for an NFL franchise when it comes down to dollars and cents. It would have been a no-brainer move to accept SA's offer to house the Raiders at the Dome. But MD is not your average NFL team owner. He's an incompetent moron with no sense of what good deals are made of.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-05-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,307,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Please...

San Antonio is not 'a really small metro'. It is the 25th-largest in the United States. It's larger than Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo and Green Bay (even with metro Milwaukee's population tossed in) - over a quarter of the NFL. Further, it's less than 80 miles from metro Austin, which itself is larger than six different metros that have NFL teams. And there's no inordinate lack of a corporate presence in San Antonio.

Now, I am not saying that San Antonio should necessarily be the destination for a relocating NFL franchise. But the idea that it's 'too small' is factually incorrect.

mod edit--last sentence deleted along with quoted post

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-05-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 10:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,972,878 times
I rooted for New England because once Brady gets Super Bowl #5 it's time to ride off into the sunset. Open path to the Super Bowl for the silver and black baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or