U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
So only the Miami Dolphins voted against the move? I think now is the time for the San Francisco 49ers really try to dominate the bay area metro. Make it an unwelcoming place for the Raiders. The Raiders have left Oakland twice now. If I was a Raiders fan I would switch to 49ers.
I can't really see Raiders fans jumping ship to be 49ers fans. This is just an outsiders opinion since I've never been to Cali, but I've always seen San Fran and Oakland as polar opposites. San Fran has always seemed to be the pretty boys and Oakland always seemed to be the gritty blue-collar boys. The Raiders always seemed to embody bad boys whether it's their players or their fans. I just can't seem too many willing to go from bad boy to pretty. The 49ers current state doesn't help either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I can't really see Raiders fans jumping ship to be 49ers fans. This is just an outsiders opinion since I've never been to Cali, but I've always seen San Fran and Oakland as polar opposites. San Fran has always seemed to be the pretty boys and Oakland always seemed to be the gritty blue-collar boys. The Raiders always seemed to embody bad boys whether it's their players or their fans. I just can't seem too many willing to go from bad boy to pretty. The 49ers current state doesn't help either.
I don't know. I have a friend who's from Cali who is a Raiders fan, but he'll pull for the 49ers as well. You'll have some Raiders fans who will stick with the Raiders wherever they move to, so as long as they're still called the Raiders. You'll have some who will switch to San Fran, and some who will switch to the Rams or the Chargers.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,505,113 times
Feeling bad for Raider fan who is still paying off the debt for the 1995 renovation (per Jim Rome). Wow, twice the fans got shafted, not once. And they're expected to root for them the next two years??!!

Recall how pissed off we were in the 80s when Bob Irsay snuck our team outta town.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:50 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I don't see how the Raiders stay in Oakland for 3 seasons waiting for stadium. That part makes no sense at all. They'd better moving anywhere for those years rather than staying. Going to be majorly awkward. Also, surprised more owners weren't against this move.

This is basically like a team telling a coach "You're going to get fired after the 2020 season, but we can't replace you until then, so you will have to hang around for 3 years." What good does this do anybody??

Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,275,536 times
Will they be the Las Vegas Raiders, or will they be dropping the 'Las'?

[I'm wondering because the new NHL team is officially named the Vegas Golden Knights, dropping the article.]

Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Will they be the Las Vegas Raiders, or will they be dropping the 'Las'?

[I'm wondering because the new NHL team is officially named the Vegas Golden Knights, dropping the article.]
I'm guessing the Raiders will be the Las Vegas Raiders.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
has the stadium site been determined, most recent info I saw seems to imply that is on the West side of I15 from Mandalay Bay...???

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM

4,165 posts, read 4,617,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
has the stadium site been determined, most recent info I saw seems to imply that is on the West side of I15 from Mandalay Bay...???
That seems to be it from all the renderings I've seen. There's also currently a large dirt lot there.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM

5,280 posts, read 3,318,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
There were other sites throw out there in the early discussions including one at Tropicana and Koval, another one at the Bali Hai Golf Club (building it right over the course), both were opposed by Southwest Airlines and the airport in general. A third site thrown around was just northeast of downtown at the Cashman Field/Center site. It does seem that the location will be between Hacienda/Russell and Polaris/I-15.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There were other sites throw out there in the early discussions including one at Tropicana and Koval, another one at the Bali Hai Golf Club (building it right over the course), both were opposed by Southwest Airlines and the airport in general. A third site thrown around was just northeast of downtown at the Cashman Field/Center site. It does seem that the location will be between Hacienda/Russell and Polaris/I-15.
I had seen the location at the Bali Hai GC mentioned and am glad to see they left that little gem alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or