U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2017, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,167 posts, read 4,623,139 times
Reputation: 4229

Advertisements

Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Raiders will file paperwork with the NFL to move the team to Las Vegas. NFL owners will vote in late-March at their spring meeting but his sources say that many are in favor of the move and momentum is growing. Rapoport also reports that the plan would keep the Raiders in Oakland for two more years while a stadium is built in Las Vegas.

Raiders to file relocation papers to move from Oakland to Vegas - NFL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Raiders will file paperwork with the NFL to move the team to Las Vegas. NFL owners will vote in late-March at their spring meeting but his sources say that many are in favor of the move and momentum is growing. Rapoport also reports that the plan would keep the Raiders in Oakland for two more years while a stadium is built in Las Vegas.

Raiders to file relocation papers to move from Oakland to Vegas - NFL.com
Hmmm. The Lost Wages Raiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Reputation: 2353
While I never like to see a city lose a team, I think this will be a great relationship for the team and Las Vegas and I still think many Raider fans from all over the state of California will make the trip to see there Raiders any given weekend. I'm not sure how many new Raider fans they will get from the actual city of Las Vegas but I don't think it will have to be a huge percentage to fill the stadium every Sunday. I haven't really heard any noise from Raider fans saying they will not support the team if they move to Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM
 
6,226 posts, read 6,848,525 times
Reputation: 3099
I can see it now "Bookies bribe Los Vegas Raider players".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
Reputation: 1422
Moving to Las Vegas isn't a bad idea. I think it would be really neat if the Raiders move there. I'm sure those who live in Vegas are looking forward to it when the Raiders move there.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-14-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I can see it now "Bookies bribe Los Vegas Raider players".
right, because we all know organized crime only exists in Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 12:16 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
While I never like to see a city lose a team, I think this will be a great relationship for the team and Las Vegas and I still think many Raider fans from all over the state of California will make the trip to see there Raiders any given weekend. I'm not sure how many new Raider fans they will get from the actual city of Las Vegas but I don't think it will have to be a huge percentage to fill the stadium every Sunday. I haven't really heard any noise from Raider fans saying they will not support the team if they move to Vegas.

Cities should consider creating names for their cities in advance of owners ever getting to the point of taking away both the team AND its name. Or, they need to at least attempt to purchase away the team name from the owner - if not the team itself.

When a team name goes away to another city along with the team, it's already too late if that name belonged to the owner in the first place! The aftermath is that the now-absent team's name continues to be part of that city's identity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
Reputation: 1422
I think the Raiders may not relocate to Las Vegas until 2020 unlike the Chargers that moved to Los Angeles after when their season ended. The stadium construction is starting this year and it is expecting to be open around 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,470,053 times
Reputation: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I think the Raiders may not relocate to Las Vegas until 2020 unlike the Chargers that moved to Los Angeles after when their season ended. The stadium construction is starting this year and it is expecting to be open around 2020.
Which is risky. The Houston Oilers stuck around after everyone already knew they were leaving and played to crowds of 15,000-20,000 all season in 1996. If you look for them, there are video clips on YouTube of a mostly-empty Astrodome from that season.

It's a different time and a different fan base, but it's risky. Everyone knows they have one foot out the door.

And their stadium proposal in Las Vegas is gorgeous (if way overly extravagant) and I can't see it not being approved by the other owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,167 posts, read 4,623,139 times
Reputation: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Which is risky. The Houston Oilers stuck around after everyone already knew they were leaving and played to crowds of 15,000-20,000 all season in 1996. If you look for them, there are video clips on YouTube of a mostly-empty Astrodome from that season.

It's a different time and a different fan base, but it's risky. Everyone knows they have one foot out the door.

And their stadium proposal in Las Vegas is gorgeous (if way overly extravagant) and I can't see it not being approved by the other owners.
That was my thought when I read they were going to stay in Oakland until their stadium in Las Vegas is complete. Why would anyone want to support them knowing they are leaving town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top