Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:58 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Very true point.

This thread was not about a comparison of Prescott..as some have made it. It is purely a reflection of human nature.
Agreed. remember all the TV shots of Romo during the game.. he was stoic.. not much emotion.. i wish they had shown him when the Cowboys tied it up late.. they might have but i don't remember seeing him then.

This happens at every position but when a Great WR replaces another, that WR still gets on the field and contributes.. lineman, secondary, LB, ditto.. all those (now backups) get plenty of playing time but not a QB. Even a RB that gets pushed back still gets playing time.. all be it only a few carries a game. The QB sits and watches the entire game and that is the dynamic that is hard to gauge.

There has to be a small bit of satisfaction inside of Romo that says, "see, it wasn't just me." There might also be a small bit of "Man, i could have won that game for us." But alas, we will never know.. Romo is not the type of person to say those things..

Many stories will be written about Romo in the following weeks/months and some will praise his play while others will blame the Cowboys failures in years past on him but one thing they will all agree on.. he did it with class...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Even for those who think Romo's only motivator is self-interest, with the Dallas loss his chance of playing in this year's NFC Championship Game and Siuper Bowl ended. And, yes, there is always a chance. Just ask Drew Bledsoe, who, after losing the Patriots starting job to Tom Brady in 2001 due to an injury, came in early in the second quarter of that year's AFC title game in place of an injured Brady an with the Pats nursing a 7-3 lead over Pittsburgh. Bledsoe led them to 17 points, a 24-17 win, and a Super Bowl appearance. True, Brady was healthy again for the big game, but it might have been otherwise.

Every year, high schools churn out thousands of quarterbacks. Only a tiny, tiny percentage of them will claw their way to being a starting NFL QB for years on end. And one common denominator they have is an intense, almost maniacal competitiveness. You'll find very few of them moping around on the sidelines thinking "Well, if I can't play than I hope we lose so I save face!". And there's really no reason to think Romo is one of those.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
/\
Romo comes across as someone who loves the game and the team. True he would rather be playing. Thing is he can't.
His body is too damaged. But his passion overcomes this. He seems like an old soldier who wants to go down in the last battle. Romo likewise wants to throw the ball until his arm breaks off.
Romo has a good altitude and is not a "sour grape" type. He was upset as anyone about losing that game.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I would really hate to see him deciding to try and play. His career didn't go the way he wanted and so many will blame him for the lack of success. I don't, it is a team game after all. I've never been a real Romo fan but the conversations during the coming weeks will be crazy. I wish him the best, and if he does decide to try and play, good health.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I would really hate to see him deciding to try and play. His career didn't go the way he wanted and so many will blame him for the lack of success. I don't, it is a team game after all. I've never been a real Romo fan but the conversations during the coming weeks will be crazy. I wish him the best, and if he does decide to try and play, good health.
Susan, I am fairly certain he will be looking to play again next year.. i could be wrong but i bet he is in the huddle for some team in desperate need of a QB..

Old 01-17-2017, 08:55 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Susan, I am fairly certain he will be looking to play again next year.. i could be wrong but i bet he is in the huddle for some team in desperate need of a QB..
Romo will likely be with one of the following next year.. NY Jets, 49ers, Browns, Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, Broncos, Houston.

And that's in descending order of likelihood, IMO.

Cleveland isn't at the top of the list because I think they take Watson or another QB and screw him up by rushing him in as the starter.. Jets are a possibility. They might have some hope in Petty and bring Romo in for 2-3 years to help develop Petty or another QB.

Once you get past the Bears on my list, it gets unlikely, but in ways.. Makes sense. Dolphins haven't been happy with Tannehill, but I think that's not very likely. The Vikings, we still don't know the outcome of Bridgewater's injury. The Broncos is kinda interesting. They're basically a QB away from the Super Bowl (arguable).. Houston I very much doubt, but there's a possibility there that kinda makes sense. I doubt they could pull this off with what they owe Osweiler, tho.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Assuming Romo will be playing elsewhere in the 2017 season, he will go to a team that can win quickly. The Broncos and the Texans should be those teams.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Reading on the internet just now, Jerry Jones is still in Tony Romo's corner. He said, what you saw that veteran QB do out there (Aaron), Tony Romo is capable of doing. He believes Romo will win a Super Bowl somewhere.

Talk about someone having your back and believing in you, over the top. Very few QBs are capable of doing what Aaron Rodgers does, he is the complete package. There are other QBs with more rings, better stats, but capability and being a complete QB, Tony is not on that level.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Reading on the internet just now, Jerry Jones is still in Tony Romo's corner. He said, what you saw that veteran QB do out there (Aaron), Tony Romo is capable of doing. He believes Romo will win a Super Bowl somewhere.

Talk about someone having your back and believing in you, over the top. Very few QBs are capable of doing what Aaron Rodgers does, he is the complete package. There are other QBs with more rings, better stats, but capability and being a complete QB, Tony is not on that level.
You always have to take what Jerry says with a grain of salt. Romo has never been able to do what Rodgers did on Sat.. he's been close, but that final pass.. Romo doesn't have that kinda zip.. never has.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
You always have to take what Jerry says with a grain of salt. Romo has never been able to do what Rodgers did on Sat.. he's been close, but that final pass.. Romo doesn't have that kinda zip.. never has.
Yep of course Jerry is going to say pleasant things about Romo as it's not classy to kick a person while they're down but in no way shape or form Romo is even close to Rogers. That's also why you don't hear anyone criticizing Dak because it is a miracle that he was even able to stay on Rogers hills, something Romo wouldn't have been able to do. And everyone knows they still would have lost with Romo and I'm sure by a larger margin too, Green Bay was just the better team over all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football