U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

I was wrong in Picking Green Bay. This is just is terrible I have ever seen Green Bay played since Tennessee in week 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,359,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? To prove New England isn't a good team? Also, how exactly did Seattle "destroy" the Patriots this year? I seem to recall a 31-24 Seattle victory. Feel free to check to box score to see just how close the game was.

Since you like talking about the NFC so much, New England has won 80% of its regular season games vs. the NFC in the last 16 seasons. In 15 of those 16 years, they have won at least 3 games against that conference.

The NFC overall is trash too. Where do you get this notion that I'm some NFC booster? All I'm saying is NE pads their wins against a weak division year after year. Recently the NFC West has been garbage but just a couple years ago the NFC was the toughest division in football from 2011 through 2014.

New England is a good team no doubt, but the level of competition has benefited them on this amazing run. No two ways about it.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Pittsburgh supposedly had an unstoppable offense and Pats held them to 9 points before a garbage time TD
The Steelers were credited with five drops, which is the most by any team in a playoff game since 2006. This includes two dropped TD passes, but does not include a TD pass that was nullified by an illegal touching penalty after the WR carelessly stepped out of bounds. All in all, the Steelers had five TD passes wiped out by drops and other WR miscues in the last two games. But people stupidly blame the QB for this.

Truth is, the Steelers rode Le'Veon Bell in the second half of the season because no WR other than Antonio Brown demonstrated any consistency or ability to make big plays in the passing game when it mattered most. Once Bell was injured, the WRs were exposed. Antonio Brown can't be the only reliable weapon in the passing game. At some point, other WRs need to make some damn plays.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? To prove New England isn't a good team? Also, how exactly did Seattle "destroy" the Patriots this year? I seem to recall a 31-24 Seattle victory. Feel free to check to box score to see just how close the game was.

Since you like talking about the NFC so much, New England has won 80% of its regular season games vs. the NFC in the last 16 seasons. In 15 of those 16 years, they have won at least 3 games against that conference.
Seattle didn't destroy New England, but Russell Wilson did destroy the Patriots defense. They had no answer for him all game...

People love Seattle-bashing but the truth is that team still won their division and a playoff game while going big stretches without their two all-star safeties, all-star end, Wilson played half the year hurt, Sherman played half the year hurt, top two back missed long stretches...that team had an unimpressive OL but still had a Top 5 defense and won ten games with it. No team in the playoff field had more critical injuries than Seattle, besides arguably Green Bay. Take away a few of those injuries to key players, they easily grab a bye and are a much tougher out in the playoffs...

Coincidentally, Seattle beat both Super Bowl teams year. That game last week is different with a close to healthy team, and there's evidence that can support that. This Seattle bashing as some mediocre team has to stop...

As it is, the Patriots defense has gotten better since that loss to Seattle. If I'm judging by last night, Patriots have the players and the scheme to hold with Atlanta's offense...

They are gonna shadow Jones with safety help for Butler, who is an elite CB anyway, so while I expect Jones to get his, it won't be to the tune of how he killed GB...

And while I agree that NE hasn't exactly looked the part of a 14-2 team, they looked great yesterday and I also agree that it's naive to call them overrated...Falcons have also gotten better since Seattle loss. The defense looked real good yesterday, but looked suspect against Seattle last week. Should be a good game. I see Touchdown Tommy grabbing his fifth!

My final point about the Packers and Aaron Rodgers is that it doesn't matter to me that "most" teams have a losing playoff record. We're talking about an elite QB/coach being compared to other elite QB/coaches. They are judged differently and we all know they are, so some of you Rodgers/Packers apologists can stop pretending like you don't know this. He has to win at a higher level, point blank. I seem to remember everybody and their mom killing Manning year after year for every year he didn't win the Super Bowl, whether it was his fault or not...

Whether fair or not, this is how they get judged. People can't throw around statements like "surefire HOF" or "best in the game today" or "possibly most talented ever" and not expect Rodgers to be held to a high standard. One Super Bowl appearance, one Super Bowl victory, losing playoff record since, two one-and-dones, winless NFC Championship streak, massive 15-1 season blown in the playoffs, massive lead evaporated in part due to poor QB play---some of these things were also said of Manning, didn't matter that the defense blew that game vs Baltimore in 2012. The bottom line is a player of Rodgers' caliber who everybody wants to mention with the greats cannot finish his career like this. It was the same for Manning, Rodgers doesn't get a pass...

Old 01-23-2017, 06:01 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I was wrong in Picking Green Bay. This is just is terrible I have ever seen Green Bay played since Tennessee in week 10.
Pretty typical of most everyone so far this season. Atlanta outplayed Green Bay, therefore they won...big. Matt Ryan outplayed everyone's god (Aaron Rodgers) all season long (and yesterday), therefore...they won....big. Be a gracious loser and acknowledge it, Green Bay didn't give them the game, they earned it. Cannot for the life of me figure why there's so little respect for a team and QB that has performed like the Falcons have, especially after destroying the team that was so hot that beat the "untouchable" Cowboys the week before, and not to mention the Falcons cratered the "dangerous" Seahawks last week. Predicatably most will jump on the Patriot bandwagon I'm sure, and when they lose it'll no doubt be due to an "off day"...

Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
The Cat Picked it right

I said that Atlanta was better than many people realized, but when we listen to the Media, who put all their microphones on one stage, what would we expect ?

I also said that I wanted it to be a Steelers-Packers rematch, which I also said WOULD NOT happen because I wanted it. expected,

Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The Cat Picked it right

I said that Atlanta was better than many people realized, but when we listen to the Media, who put all their microphones on one stage, what would we expect ?

I also said that I wanted it to be a Steelers-Packers rematch, which I also said WOULD NOT happen because I wanted it. expected,
The Colt picked 'em incorrectly!

I was enamored with teams (Packers, Steelers) that most likely had opportunities to make major dents in these Playoffs - which to a certain degree, they did. However, getting to the top of the mountain wasn't to be... so we move ON to the Super Bowl.

8-2 in the Playoffs!

Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
The Colt picked 'em incorrectly!

I was enamored with teams (Packers, Steelers) that most likely had opportunities to make major dents in these Playoffs - which to a certain degree, they did. However, getting to the top of the mountain wasn't to be... so we move ON to the Super Bowl.

8-2 in the Playoffs!
I did too. I picked Green Bay to win but I got it wrong.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I did too. I picked Green Bay to win but I got it wrong.
NO worries Jonathan.. as long as you got Rodgers under center.. the Pack will contend.. i do think they need a new def cord.. maybe even HC.. but that's JMO.. you will always be a contender with Rodgers..

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Overall I think I ended up 7-3, not sure. Packers will contend but need a long hard look at the defensive side of the ball!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football