U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:52 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,928,002 times

Advertisements

Packers at Falcons: The Packers and the Falcons have offenses. The Packers lack a quality defense. The Packers are better tested for postseason play than the Falcons. This game would be close to call. I am leaning toward the Packers as they know how to get to the Super Bowl.

Steelers at Patriots: If Tom Brady and the Patriots want another Super Bowl championship, they will play lights out against the Steelers. Consistency wins. I have to lean toward the Patriots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
. NFC Championship Game:

Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons Is there a more intelligent, better reader of defensive schemes, more mobile (with excellent pocket mechanics) QB than Aaron Rogers in these Playoffs?
GO, Pack, GO!

_ ________________________________________ _

. AFC Championship Game:

Pittsburgh Steelers @ New England Patriots - Big Ben, Bell, Brown + Boswell: Killer Bees!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
A surprising number of people are picking the Steelers. I guess they've "quietly" gone on a 9-game win streak.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,486,179 times
I know the Packers are a great team and Rodgers is playing out of his mind but this Falcons team is not the same soft team of past years that folds when they get punched in the mouth. They are on a mission this year and unlike past years Matt Ryan is not afraid to sling the ball deep. I just think its Atlanta's year. Picking the Packers based on what they have done in the past is overblown to me. It's any given Sunday and I believe the Falcons have too much offense and just enough on defense to win a close one.

I think the Patriots come out of the AFC.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM

4,981 posts, read 11,048,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I want a Packers/Steelers rematch, so that's what I'm riding with. There are four phenomenal quarterbacks remaining, and these next 1-2 games are important to all of their legacies, at different degrees:

1. Nobody has more riding on the remainder of the season than Matt Ryan. He's in his 9th season, 5th playoff appearance, entering his second NFC Championship Game, with a 2-4 playoff record. By any objective measure, since he came into the league in '08, Matt Ryan fits somewhere in a Top 6 QB's of the last 9 seasons (with Brady, Rivers, Brees, Manning, Rodgers). He is THAT good. However, this is a critical period of his career...

Peyton Manning was 3-6 playoff record going into his 9th season, and won it all. Drew Brees was 1-2 and had only been to the playoffs twice in eight seasons before winning it all in his 9th year. The historical data says most All Timers win their first championship within their first 6 years (from Rodgers and Favre, who won it in Year 6, to Ben and Brady, who won it in Year 2, and countless others who won in Years 3-5). Understand, I'm talking about All-Timers, not the "Very Goods". While reason holds that Ryan will likely play for at least 7-10 more years, he's swimming against the current if he can't do it this season. Only one consensus GOAT won their first ring beyond Year 9--John Elway, who won in Year 15. But hell, even in Elway's case, he'd at least been to three Super Bowls in his first 7 years. Matt Ryan hasn't even been to one...

Matt Ryan has to at least get to the Super Bowl, and he has to win more than any QB remaining because he doesn't have one. If he goes on to beat Rodgers this week and win it all, the narrative will change on his abilities. He'll forever be tied to Rodgers because they started playing in the same year (2008). And from a talent perspective the argument can be made that Rodgers is better than anyone who ever played the position, but Ryan can shrink the gap if he wins. Because if he doesn't, he's going to face this characterization as a choke artist/guy who underperformer in the playoffs...fair or not...

2. These next 1-2 games are critical to Rodgers' legacy. As I've said before, he may just be the best naturally talented QB ever. But it's been 6 years since he won or even played in a Super Bowl. The harsh reality is, the great ones are expected to compete for multiple titles, not just one. May not be fair, but if the book ends with Rodgers' only one SB appearances, that will be used against him. Obviously, he could never be labeled a choke artist. But you guys heard it before this season--there were already whispers about him in regards to being 3-5 in the playoffs since his SB (coming into this year). He's possibly on a tear right now that maybe can't be stopped, but I think it's more than fair to note that Rodgers has to have more championship success...

He can be one of the Goats, but his name as THE GOAT will be hard to argue if he's only wearing one ring...

3. Big Ben's legacy is pretty much concrete; he can only enhance it, not harm it. I do feel, though, that if he never wins another one, an argument can be made that he was carried to his rings. The fact of the matter is that his best statistical seasons came after he won his two championships. I'd consider 2010 as one of his best three seasons, the year he lost the Super Bowl. Obviously he has grown exponentially as a player since then, but the lack of another championship run doesn't bode well. Coming into this postseason Ben was 1-3 playoffs since his last Super Bowl appearance. There's credence to the notion that when he was a complimentary player on his championship teams, and has been unable to win it all as an elite player. Hopefully that changes for him, and if it does, it will definitely boost his legacy...

4. Brady has the least to lose, but I'll say this. If he loses another Super Bowl before he wins another, it will impact his legacy negatively. Yes, he's tied for most Super Bowl wins, and there's a great likelihood that he finishes his career holding that record by himself. But a 4-3 or 4-4 record will bolster the argument that he was carried to his first 3 in his first 5 seasons, and that the Seahawks bailed him out of his 3rd loss. Brady for my money is the GOAT, but he's neither the most physically gifted or most natural talent to play the position. If he loses more Super Bowls it bolsters the argument of "coach/system over player"...

Of course, if he never loses another Super Bowl but keeps winning, there is no debate...

Roethlisberger 13-6 playoff record, 3-1 AFCCG record, 5-2 road record vs. Brady 23-9 record, 6-4 AFCCG, 16-3 home record: the Patriots have wholly unimpressed me all year. I can't remember a worse looking 14-2 team. I think they'll play better this week, and I think Brown's video gaffe will further motivate them. Still, I see Leveon Bell playing at an MVP/HOF level right now. The Steelers still haven't played a complete offensive game in months, and that defense has steadily improved. They are the only team left that can win a game if it comes down to a defensive slugfest--Steelers 28, Patriots 21

Rodgers 10-6 record, 1-1 NFCCG, 5-4 on the road vs. Ryan 2-4 record, 0-1 NFCCG, 2-2 at home: both of these teams have equal odds to me. This game will be high scoring. I think the Falcons have taken a step forward, but this isn't the year. They lose that game last week to a more disciplined team with a better offensive line. Hell, they lose that game last week with a healthy Seahawks D (Sherman played last half year with torn MCL, Thomas out, Shead gone in 1st). The Packers can match them point for point and quite honestly, Aaron Rodgers is in the middle of doing something extraordinary. In a game that will test the limits of both teams, it will come down to who has the ball last--better hope it isn't Rodgers...Packers 33, Falcons 32
Well at least the Pats didn't look as bad as the Seahawks this year...

Worse looking 14-2 team? Really???

Highest margin of victory in the NFL this season...

Number 1 ranked scoring defense....

Number 4 ranked total offense, number 3 ranked scoring offense...

Brady sets the NFL record for TD/INT ratio and is likely runner up for MVP this season...

Blount leads the league in rushing TD's with 18...Pats are 7th in the league in rushing....

Pats have scored over 30 in 8 games this season and only 1 team has scored more than 30 on them...

Pats have been ranked number 1 in power rankings on almost every major Sports site for most of the season.

Pats have been the odds on favorite to make the SB on Vegas books since week 1 and are STILL the favorite

Yeah....Pats have been down right TERRIBLE this season..

I got Pats over Steelers by 10

In the NFC have to go with the hot hand, Rodgers looks unstoppable Pack over Falcons but honestly whichever QB has the ball last probably wins this game.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
I like Pats and Steelers as teams and organizations, but cannot see the Steelers here after winning by 6 FGs????

And kudos to Colt for sticking with the Packers! Go Pack Go!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times
Dude, get over yourself. Pats have had a very easy schedule this year. They're not as good as some of their 12 win teams from previous years. They've played 2 good teams: beat Pittsburgh (without Ben) and lost to Seattle. He didn't say the Pats were terrible, he said they're the worst 14-2 team he's seen. As usual, they had a bye and played a garbage team in the divisional round. The AFC Championship game will be a good measure to see how good they are.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Well at least the Pats didn't look as bad as the Seahawks this year...

Worse looking 14-2 team? Really???

Highest margin of victory in the NFL this season...

Number 1 ranked scoring defense....

Number 4 ranked total offense, number 3 ranked scoring offense...

Brady sets the NFL record for TD/INT ratio and is likely runner up for MVP this season...

Blount leads the league in rushing TD's with 18...Pats are 7th in the league in rushing....

Pats have scored over 30 in 8 games this season and only 1 team has scored more than 30 on them...

Pats have been ranked number 1 in power rankings on almost every major Sports site for most of the season.

Pats have been the odds on favorite to make the SB on Vegas books since week 1 and are STILL the favorite

Yeah....Pats have been down right TERRIBLE this season..

I got Pats over Steelers by 10

In the NFC have to go with the hot hand, Rodgers looks unstoppable Pack over Falcons but honestly whichever QB has the ball last probably wins this game.
Lol you act like Seattle is my team...

I stick by everything I've ever said, right or wrong, whether I'm the only person holding my opinion or everybody on the board agrees with me (most the time I'm the only guy holding the opinion lol). I'm tougher than that, try again, guy!

Well, the Patriots were better than the Seahawks this year, but let's be honest, they had one of the easiest schedules in the league. They had five games against playoff teams, going 4-1, but two of those games were against an overmatched Dolphins team (who themselves won 10 games as the benefit of a soft schedule), they beat the Steelers backup QB, they beat a Texans team that backed into the playoffs....and lost to a Seattle team that beat them in their house and exposed some of the weaknesses that will show up again soon. So, yes, they are one of the weakest 14-2 teams I've ever seen. That doesn't equate that they're a bad team, you do understand that, right?

It does mean, the stats bely how much closer to the pack they are, rather than how far ahead. Outside of those five games versus playoff teams, this was the Patriots schedule this year:

@AZ, vs Buff, @Cleve, vs Cin, @Buff, @SF, @NYJ, vs LA, vs Balt, @Den, vs NYJ...

What an intimidating slate of opponents, is it really a surprise that none of these teams could score nor move the ball? Arizona would be the only surprise here. Hand in hand, is it really a surprise that the Pats could sore and move the ball at will on these teams? Really? We knew Baltimore's defense was overrated all year, and we knew Denver defense slipped in several categories this year. Again, only surprise would be how bad Arizona D looked against the backup QB...

Houston beats them last week with Romo at QB. Seattle certainly didn't embarrass the Pats, but all truth told, New England was outplayed that entire game by the Seahawks, from opening snap to the very last play. They beat a Steelers team missing the QB, and Brady didn't play his best, AND the backup QB had success moving the ball against this scary #1 defense...

I have other examples of Patriots vulnerabilities this year...

They had a Top 5 defense by traditional measures but the #16 defense by DVOA:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

So the defense was actually better last year. Brady had one of his best seasons this year, no argument there, and set a record for Td/int ratio, but I can think of a few more impressive Brady seasons that he played a full 16, and was wire-to-wire better: 2007, 2012, 2009, 2011, 2010, that's five off the top of my head...

I expect the AFCCG to be awesome, would not surprise one bit to see NE win. I don't think they will, though, and there is more than enough evidence to at least support my opinion...

Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I know the Packers are a great team and Rodgers is playing out of his mind but this Falcons team is not the same soft team of past years that folds when they get punched in the mouth. They are on a mission this year and unlike past years Matt Ryan is not afraid to sling the ball deep. I just think it's Atlanta's year. Picking the Packers based on what they have done in the past is overblown to me. It's any given Sunday and I believe the Falcons have too much offense and just enough on defense to win a close one.

I think the Patriots come out of the AFC.

I now get the feeling that Rodgers would still lose playing at his current level of play (you know, the magical hail mary's and stuff). In my opinion, I feel that Rodgers would need to shift another gear to come out on top. ATL's key is not letting Rodgers extend plays but what's Green Bay's key(s)? Green Bay wins if Aaron plays creates another gear, ATL wins a close one even with Rodgers playing at this current high level, anything below this and ATL wins big. ATL just needs to contain Rodgers (they did well against Wilson) and get like 3 stops and ATL will be fine. It also helps that ATL won't have to face a Devin Hester type again.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Both teams are hot, ready for this game, unfortunately I think Falcons are in better shape at key positions than Packers and could be a major difference in the game.

Packers don't know if Adams will play WR because of his ankle, likely Jordy won't play and if Adams is out, I don't want to go there. Janis has made plays for them as a WR but he doesn't know the routes the rest of the WRs do, he doesn't get it. Great special teams guy, but some of their more difficult routes aren't happening. Now I hear they are going to add Geronimo Allison WR to the injury list. Might as well add Cobb so they can #1-4!

No word on Morgan Burnett, the safety, after he went down, the secondary really fell apart (more so than usual)! I want to maintain optimism but the injuries, lack of depth and experience at key positions may catch up to them this game.

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football