U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 3 days ago)

1,240 posts, read 584,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Both teams are hot, ready for this game, unfortunately I think Falcons are in better shape at key positions than Packers and could be a major difference in the game.

Packers don't know if Adams will play WR because of his ankle, likely Jordy won't play and if Adams is out, I don't want to go there. Janis has made plays for them as a WR but he doesn't know the routes the rest of the WRs do, he doesn't get it. Great special teams guy, but some of their more difficult routes aren't happening. Now I hear they are going to add Geronimo Allison WR to the injury list. Might as well add Cobb so they can #1-4!

No word on Morgan Burnett, the safety, after he went down, the secondary really fell apart (more so than usual)! I want to maintain optimism but the injuries, lack of depth and experience at key positions may catch up to them this game.
Yeah, it's a shame that Green Bay fans won't get to see a fully healthy squad play my Dirty Birds. Roger's level of play has to be higher than we've seen even during this win streak for them to come out in my opinion. Green Bay's defense has to show up too. Not to sound like a complete homer.....one would think that ATL would score at will vs the packers. ATL's defense has been playing well but Green Bay can not afford to have any miscommunications on their offense or else they'll be in a hole. I still think that both ATL and Green Bay would light up the Pats and Steeler (and make it look easy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:36 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,692,668 times
You do sound like a complete homer lol but I guess that's fine we all see the game from a different perspective.
Not sure where ATL's D has been good, but any team with decent offense has lit them up pretty easily.
Pack creates more turnovers, sacks, etc so not sure why ATL would win a turnover battle.

Packers shut Julio Jones and the run game down last time they played with more people out than they'll be playing with this time so there's a good chance they do it again.

They didn't have Cobb, Montgomery, Matthews, or Peppers last game..

Last time they played they had two guys they picked up off the street playing running back and Rodgers led all rushers (for both teams). We'll probably see the run game pick up to control the clock now they have Montgomery and Michael

If Adams and Burnett are out Packers will have a tough time pulling this out, if not It's going to be a great game, but Pack wins by a td

Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
Talking about teams you really hate to hear the injury excuse, but in this case for the Packers it has gotten down to do they have enough on the roster if someone else gets inured during the game!

If the players that are having issues can't play, I can't see them keeping up with the Falcons. Their secondary still has players out, and the ones playing are rookies, don't have the experience, and playoffs not exactly a great time to get it!

Skyline always like your positivity! I'm trying to be but the news out of Lambeau is not the most positive I've ever heard! I'm not switching my pick, of course, I wish the WR group was healthy and secondary knew not play so far off a great WR!

Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Yeah, it's a shame that Green Bay fans won't get to see a fully healthy squad play my Dirty Birds
Where was this humility last week for the Seahawks? Because it's not like Atlanta beat a fully healthy Seattle, either...

I jest....but I've been floating around CD Football for years. This board has never liked the Seattle Seahawks, they garnered a little respect maybe around the time they won the title, but it's been nothing since, and even then, the Hawks were nowhere near as adored as other teams on this board...

I'm just saying, you guys here sling shots at Seattle the last two months, but nobody except me ever mentioned they were one of the most injury-ravaged teams in the league this year. Certainly among playoff teams, only GB suffered as much. That the Hawks won their division and a playoff game is a testament to the elite upper management in that franchise. Most teams would have folded the tent before midseason with the injuries they had. But the Packers get a "kudos" from you?

Anyway, I'll disagree that Rodgers has to manufacture another gear to beat Atlanta. A team that isn't turnover and mistake prone, like the Seahawks last week, goes up 21-7, and wins that game. Conventional wisdom says the Falcons should have the type of team, type of offense, that can come back from a two-plus touchdown deficit and make it a game--except there is nothing in the 2016 season that supports that. If anything, that's a credit to Atlanta for always mashing the gas and not falling behind by large margins at any point this season...

But, I caution, Atlanta HAS fallen behind my smaller margins this year, and failed to win the game. My question with Atlanta, is a)should they fall down by 18, can they come back like the Cowboys did last week? Maybe versus the Packers, but there isn't a chance in he'll they come back and beat either Pittsburgh or New England if they fall into an 18-point hole. And b)if this game comes down to one possession, where the Falcons D has to make the stop to win the game, can they do it? Again, I know you're riding with your guys, I salute that, but there is NOTHING to suggest the Falcons defense can close the deal in a one score game. And then facing Aaron Rodgers in a one-score game, under two minutes, he has the ball? Even you have to admit, a healthy Falcons D is still the underdog in that scenario, and Clayborn is gone for you all...

Atlanta might mess around and prove me wrong and win the entire thing. I'll be here to eat my crow... But I'm not impressed. You have to admit that Seattle team you beat last week was a shell of itself, and they gave it a fight in the first half. The rest of the teams remaining won't beat themselves...

Old 01-18-2017, 04:08 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Talking about teams you really hate to hear the injury excuse
Miss Susan, you're right, because the fact of the matter is no roster is 100% healthy at this point of the year. However, some teams do suffer worse than others, it happens every year. The Packers have been absolutely blasted this year. Just making it this far is a credit to #12 and McCarthy, because nobody in the playoff field dealt with injuries the way you all have. Seattle would be a clear #2 in the playoff field, though. Not only was the OL bad, but they were a revolving door of injury after injury, and big name, impact players missed large stretches of the season. I hate to make excuses too, but at least some of Seattle's inconsistency this year has to be attributed to the fact that this team was playing well below full strength the entire year...

Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM

I totally agree, because Packers caught them right after Earl Thomas went out, Seahawks were out of synch that game. Yes, it is next man up, but certain players, especially in the backfield are like traffic cops, help other players, call out the defenses positions. It was obvious in the Packers/Cowboy game what happened when Morgan went out and has happened in other games when the rookies wear down.

I've always been tough on the Seahawks because of their style of play but you cannot discount their success and what they have accomplished.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,104,435 times
Quote:
Talking about teams you really hate to hear the injury excuse, but in this case for the Packers it has gotten down to do they have enough on the roster if someone else gets inured during the game!
Inured to what?

Sorry.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Injured! Fast fingers and no proof reading! I've always hated going back and proof reading!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,692,668 times
Quote:

If the players that are having issues can't play, I can't see them keeping up with the Falcons. Their secondary still has players out, and the ones playing are rookies, don't have the experience, and playoffs not exactly a great time to get it!

Skyline always like your positivity! I'm trying to be but the news out of Lambeau is not the most positive I've ever heard! I'm not switching my pick, of course, I wish the WR group was healthy and secondary knew not play so far off a great WR!
Have to think Adams will play, he finished the game, hopefully they're just resting him to not make things worse. Rodgers can torch this secondary with the guys that are healthy.
Looks like Rollins and Nelson were back practicing to some extent, doubt we'll see Nelson back this week but maybe Rollins?
Burnett being out could be bad..

Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 3 days ago)

1,240 posts, read 584,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
You do sound like a complete homer lol but I guess that's fine we all see the game from a different perspective.
Not sure where ATL's D has been good, but any team with decent offense has lit them up pretty easily.
Pack creates more turnovers, sacks, etc so not sure why ATL would win a turnover battle.

Packers shut Julio Jones and the run game down last time they played with more people out than they'll be playing with this time so there's a good chance they do it again.

They didn't have Cobb, Montgomery, Matthews, or Peppers last game..

Last time they played they had two guys they picked up off the street playing running back and Rodgers led all rushers (for both teams). We'll probably see the run game pick up to control the clock now they have Montgomery and Michael

If Adams and Burnett are out Packers will have a tough time pulling this out, if not It's going to be a great game, but Pack wins by a td
Well, ATL had to play Brees twice and the game against San Diego was a shootout....that's to be expected. ATL did shut-down Arizona (which was a surprise to me). Yes, the Packers did the the best of Julio but I don't really think it will happen again (Julio was pretty ineffective that game for obvious reasons).

Hey man, it's we're both optimistic and that's good. I mean, I think ATL will drop 40 on Green Bay and you feel that the Pack will play good D and beat ATL by a TD. All good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Where was this humility last week for the Seahawks? Because it's not like Atlanta beat a fully healthy Seattle, either...

I jest....but I've been floating around CD Football for years. This board has never liked the Seattle Seahawks, they garnered a little respect maybe around the time they won the title, but it's been nothing since, and even then, the Hawks were nowhere near as adored as other teams on this board...
It's all good Murk. I respect Seattle and their short lived years of dominance. The way ATL is constructed, they will never shut-down teams like ATL, Green Bay, New Orleans, etc. They may shut down a team built like Dallas or Pittsburgh but they will not totally dominate ATL there's a match-up or two (or 3) to exploit from them.

Many fanbases suffer through the "LOB" nonesense but when you know that your team has weapons...then all of that "LOB" talk makes them overrated towards the team with the firepower. My team has that firepower and that makes Seattle's secondary overrated vs the Falcons and other high octane offenses. They are good but people make it seem like Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu in their primes are manning Seattle's secondary. I've seen all of ATL's games and I know that they can score on any defense (especially with two RB's with speed catching passes while being matched-up with some LB).

Quote:
I'm just saying, you guys here sling shots at Seattle the last two months, but nobody except me ever mentioned they were one of the most injury-ravaged teams in the league this year. Certainly among playoff teams, only GB suffered as much. That the Hawks won their division and a playoff game is a testament to the elite upper management in that franchise. Most teams would have folded the tent before midseason with the injuries they had. But the Packers get a "kudos" from you?
Eh, the Pack get the "kudos" because they really earned to be where they are at. They were basically walking dead but they somehow ran the table and are in the NFC Championship game. The win against NY was pretty impressive because I really thought that the G-Men were going to go up in Milwaukee and mess things up for Green Bay. I wasn't impressed with seeing Seattle beat up on a Detroit team who can't get out of their own way and shooting themselves in the foot over and over again.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll disagree that Rodgers has to manufacture another gear to beat Atlanta. A team that isn't turnover and mistake prone, like the Seahawks last week, goes up 21-7, and wins that game. Conventional wisdom says the Falcons should have the type of team, type of offense, that can come back from a two-plus touchdown deficit and make it a game--except there is nothing in the 2016 season that supports that. If anything, that's a credit to Atlanta for always mashing the gas and not falling behind by large margins at any point this season...
Well, they were down by 17 vs Seattle's full squad in the reg season. They lost still but I do feel that they can make a comeback but yes, I prefer it if they don't have to play from behind often.

Plus, they call him "Matty Ice' for a reason....he's a poised QB whenever he has to play from behind.
Regarding the part in bold, if Green Bay is playing with a MASH unit on defense then the pressure will be on Rodgers. Matt Ryan is also playing on a level that Rodgers is currently on (a big reason is that he has more pieces to work with than Rodgers). Seattle had the best defense and they're at home now. ATL did what they wanted to with them, I really doubt that GB will do the same or better than Seattle did. I think Rodgers' current play is good enough to keep up, I think he has to play the game of his life to win it. (I realize that sounds very homerish but hey)

Quote:
But, I caution, Atlanta HAS fallen behind by smaller margins this year, and failed to win the game. My question with Atlanta, is a)should they fall down by 18, can they come back like the Cowboys did last week? Maybe versus the Packers, but there isn't a chance in he'll they come back and beat either Pittsburgh or New England if they fall into an 18-point hole. And b)if this game comes down to one possession, where the Falcons D has to make the stop to win the game, can they do it? Again, I know you're riding with your guys, I salute that, but there is NOTHING to suggest the Falcons defense can close the deal in a one score game. And then facing Aaron Rodgers in a one-score game, under two minutes, he has the ball? Even you have to admit, a healthy Falcons D is still the underdog in that scenario, and Clayborn is gone for you all...

Atlanta might mess around and prove me wrong and win the entire thing. I'll be here to eat my crow... But I'm not impressed. You have to admit that Seattle team you beat last week was a shell of itself, and they gave it a fight in the first half. The rest of the teams remaining won't beat themselves...
Again, the only game where ATL was taken out of their game was Philly. The games that ATL fell behind in was mostly a back & forth affair (KC and Seattle) or to tie the game (San Diego). Those 3 L's were by a combined 6 points. That kind of shows that ATL is never out of a game. Tampa Bay beat ATL by a TD in the first game of the year if anyone cares.

LOL, I'll concede that The Falcons would more than likely lose if they were down 18 to New England and maybe Pittsburgh. I doubt this team in that position but yes, ATL would lose. If the game came down to one possession and ATL needed to make a stop. I don't know, it's really 50/50. Now, let's turn these sh!tty scenarios away from ATL and turn them to another team facing ATL. Would the Pack, NE, or Pit come back on ATL facing an 18 point deficit? If they needed a stop can they do it? Also, facing Ryan and this O with tw.....okay, I'm done with that.

Losing Clayborn is indeed a big blow and should help balance things. A Rodgers still has to play on another level to win though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football