U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:59 PM

9,431 posts, read 17,460,099 times

Advertisements

Getting down to the end where no weak teams remain. I'll just pick who I'd LIKE to win:

Pats. I don't like them any better than the Steelers (except for the bumble bee unis), but I'd kinda like to see the Pats win the SB so Brady could accept the Lombardi Trophy from his buddy.

Except that my favorite team left would be the Packers. They probably aren't the better team, except that they're playing excellent ball right now, especially Rodgers, and they might just have the confidence to knock off the Falcons.

Pats and The Pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,980,362 times
8-0 in the playoffs. Let's see if my good guessing continues.

Packers @ Falcons
Steelers @ Patriots

Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM

11,736 posts, read 11,583,877 times
Nice to see people sticking with the Packer picks. I'm trying to be optimistic but another day, practice before boarding plane to ATL, another addition to the injury report! The new RB Christine Michael, questionable, will this ever stop.

No word on the questionable WRs, or Morgan Burnett. We need Morgan, he helps those rookie CBs in the backfield.

Saw a few comments on a couple of Packer blogs, tickets still available for the game and prices have gone down? Are you kidding me Atlanta? The final game in the dome, to play in the SB and it isn't sold out???

Of course, same group of people in an uproar because Packers Everywhere is holding a pep rally near the stadium. They do it in every other NFL location without a problem.

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-21-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 AM

GB can stop the run pretty well usually but their secondary is the weak spot. With Cobb, Cook and Montgomery playing this time, I'll be surprised if it isn't a close game! I think 48 is a stretch! Go Pack Go!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Nice to see people sticking with the Packer picks. I'm trying to be optimistic but another day, practice before boarding plane to ATL, another addition to the injury report! The new RB Christine Michael, questionable, will this ever stop.

No word on the questionable WRs, or Morgan Burnett. We need Morgan, he helps those rookie CBs in the backfield.

Saw a few comments on a couple of Packer blogs, tickets still available for the game and prices have gone down? Are you kidding me Atlanta? The final game in the dome, to play in the SB and it isn't sold out???

Of course, same group of people in an uproar because Packers Everywhere is holding a pep rally near the stadium. They do it in every other NFL location without a problem.
The NFC Championship Game sold out on Monday - those are secondary-market tickets. (StubHub, private sellers, etc.)

There are always ticket-holders for every event who are willing to make a tidy profit over what they paid face-value.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 PM

890 posts, read 1,538,478 times
Maybe the Steelers can just let Brady and Hogan play catch all day. After 4 consecutive passes you'd think maybe someone would cover him. Maybe?

Old 01-22-2017, 06:16 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,519,174 times
Damn I'm 4-5 so far, looking like 4-6 soon enough. I was somewhere around 70% on the regular season. Can't pick against Atlanta again. Their offense is unstoppable. I don't see how they only won 11 games this year. Their schedule looks like it was reasonably tough, but the teams they lost to weren't great.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:27 PM

4,246 posts, read 2,868,700 times
Congratulations to Atlanta on their first trip to the Super Bowl in 18 years...

Has to be mentioned that while McCarthy and Rodgers are at the upper crest of their crafts in The League, they are expected to be even more successful than they are. Since winning it all in 2010, six full NFL seasons have passed and they've failed to get back to the big game. Although they've made the postseason each year, they have a losing playoff record (5-6) and are 0-2 in the NFC Championship Game. They've gotten absolutely crushed and blown out in half of those losses (2011 Divisionals, 2012 Divisionals, 2016 NFCCG), and the fashion in which they blew a 16-point lead in the 2014 NFCCG was probably the most crushing loss of all...

Nobody can ever take away the fact that these two are champions and elite at their respective positions. However, the characterization is going to continue to build that they are unable to win the big games again, until they do so. They were dealt a bad hand with injuries some years, but every team in the NFL can say that. They can also say they've had some excellent teams in that time frame--notably 2011 and 2014--not every team can say that, and for one reason or another, they've fizzles out in the playoffs with some great squads...

"To whom much is given, much is expected". For a guy that is a 2x MVP and already being touted as a HOF lock; for a guy who characterizes himself as a "highly successful NFL coach", more is expected. It comes with that level of success. Before Rodgers it was Peyton Manning who was called the best QB in the game early in his career. Nobody took it easy on him, not with his peer continually winning alongside him, and staring down the legacies of people like Elway, Young, etc...

Now it's Rodgers staring down the legacies of people like Brady and Manning, people who 'on paper' he is probably a better quarterback. Just like Manning before him, Aaron Rodgers has to win more. It's not good enough to just be great in the regular season with the gifts that guy has. It's not good enough to make the playoffs every year, win a playoff game every year. Obviously he still has plenty of time in front of him, presumably, but we all know it isn't a given that he'll return to the Super Bowl--he and McCarthy know it now, too, on a 6-year-and-counting drought. But he cannot retire with only one Super Bowl victory or appearance and have a true claim to GOAT consideration...

Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
However, the characterization is going to continue to build that they are unable to win the big games again, until they do so.
They've won a plethora of big games. Week 17 division deciding games. Plenty of playoff games. On & on.

I'm a Packer fan & they had a fantastic year. Unless you're a Patriots fan, then your team is likely streaky at best looking back. I'd rather be a fan of the Packers. The NFL is a competitive league & the NFC playoffs are especially competitive.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM

I don't care what the characterization is anymore than I care defining a QB by the number of SB wins and rings. Wins and losses, only winning in the regular season not in the playoffs, when it is a team game is just plain dumb to me.

I've seen things about Rodgers and it amazes me when a close game ends in OT, he never gets back on the field, doesn't play defense and this is his fault?

Now the coach is a different story, but you have to have players with some talent to coach up and always picking at the bottom of the draft or going undrafted rookies like Ted does, not an easy task. I look at the Packers defense, what they were working with this year, all the injuries and Bravo for them making it this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football