U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 1,064,395 times
Reputation: 1899

Advertisements

I went 0-2 in the championship games, so 7-3 in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,375 posts, read 1,370,155 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hate them..but damn are they good. long running dynasty really.
That's what happens when you play in a weak division year after year and the lack of quality teams in the league and presto you get the #1 seed and play a bum in the divisional round. Home field advantage is huge for NE. Every time they face a good defense with a capable QB they usually lose. Would have liked to see this team play in the NFC back in the 80's and 90's. I doubt they sniff but a couple Super Bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,254 posts, read 2,878,083 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
But it's the same story with them all the time. When you have an elite QB, expectations are higher. When Denver got their asses kicked in the super bowl, they immediately turned things around and put together an elite defense. Two years later, they won the super bowl.
You get my point exactly!

Green Bay isn't the only team to get a hard deal with injuries. And how many times did Peyton Manning lose a game because his defense let him down? The rules don't get magically reapplied for Aaron Rodgers. It may not be fair, but we understand how the elite quarterbacks are judged...

The truth is what Aaron Rodgers is, isn't exactly some new specimen. Physically, he has a level of athleticism that Manning never had, but boy are people's memories short. Manning dominated the game in a way never seen before him, was frequently called the best in the game currently and potentially the GOAT (especially after that outstanding '04 season), all that was missing was the rings. Then he won one...and experienced more playoff failures, lost his next two Super Bowls and was harshly critiqued and judged, much more so than his peers. This, to a guy who often played head and shoulders above everyone around him...

The rules don't get magically reapplied for Aaron Rodgers. The fact of the matter is yes, he has had a "plethora of success" and won some big games, just not the biggest ones. Although even the Packers run of success since 2009 pales in comparison to the Indianapolis Colts' run of success from 2002-2010....

The Packers and Aaron have shown an inability to climb back to the top of the mountain and have a losing playoff record since winning it all. Rodgers, for all his greatness, has had three or four stinkers himself. They've gone 0-2 in return trips to the NFC Championship. Aside from one magical run as a 6-seed in 2010, he and his team have been below average in the postseason, sometimes after outstanding regular seasons. These are facts, and they were also facts applicable to Peyton Manning. Nobody protected him, though, and he certainly is a Top 5 all-time QB...

Aaron Rodgers and McCarthy have to win more, point blank period! Such is the way of the NFL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:29 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,520,917 times
Reputation: 1143
I wouldn't say below average in the postseason. More like not at the top. But certainly above average when you include teams like Houston, Cincinnati, Oakland, even Pittsburgh and Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
That's what happens when you play in a weak division year after year and the lack of quality teams in the league and presto you get the #1 seed and play a bum in the divisional round. Home field advantage is huge for NE. Every time they face a good defense with a capable QB they usually lose. Would have liked to see this team play in the NFC back in the 80's and 90's. I doubt they sniff but a couple Super Bowls.
I think this was a good argument a few years ago, but the Patriots have gotten over the hump the past few years. They now have a solid defense, and not too many teams have the pass rush to get to Brady anyway. Sure they lost to Denver a couple times but it was also Brady vs. Manning. But it's been a while since they've gotten their asses kicked by NYG, Baltimore, or NYJ. They still do have a fairly easy path to getting to the finals, but you can't fault them for that. It's like the students that get an A in the class because they work hard all semester. Their path is less stressful than the ones that dick around and need to get a 98% on the final to get an A in the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,799 posts, read 2,392,084 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You get my point exactly!
The Packers and Aaron have shown an inability to climb back to the top of the mountain and have a losing playoff record since winning it all. Rodgers, for all his greatness, has had three or four stinkers himself. They've gone 0-2 in return trips to the NFC Championship. Aside from one magical run as a 6-seed in 2010, he and his team have been below average in the postseason, sometimes after outstanding regular seasons.
As far as Rodgers stinkers, he has a better QBR when playing away than Brady does. All QBs have stinkers in the playoffs. Brady included. It's lose or go home so QBs aren't afraid to take greater risks if down.

Dude, most teams have a losing playoff record. Steelers are 3-4 since their Super Bowl with the Packers. Saints are 2-3. Cowboys are 1-2. Chiefs are 1-3. Cardinals are 1-2. And on it goes. And how about all the seasons these teams didn't even make the playoffs!

You expect them to simply go on a winning tear every single year so they don't have a losing record? Aren't you a Redskins fan of all teams? How is there playoff record the last few years? 0-2.

Edit: to add on, I never criticized Peyton Manning for the years his team lost in the playoffs. I always thought it was absurd when NFL fans would say things like Eli or Flacco were a better QB than Manning simply because they have a better playoff record or more rings. Absolute nonsense. If you want to criticize a QB, how about Flacco. He's paid more than Rodgers, so he should be expected to outperform him. Ravens didn't even make the playoffs this year, & last year they were 5-11. Talk about under performing.

Last edited by everwinter; 01-22-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,375 posts, read 1,370,155 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You get my point exactly!

Green Bay isn't the only team to get a hard deal with injuries. And how many times did Peyton Manning lose a game because his defense let him down? The rules don't get magically reapplied for Aaron Rodgers. It may not be fair, but we understand how the elite quarterbacks are judged...

The truth is what Aaron Rodgers is, isn't exactly some new specimen. Physically, he has a level of athleticism that Manning never had, but boy are people's memories short. Manning dominated the game in a way never seen before him, was frequently called the best in the game currently and potentially the GOAT (especially after that outstanding '04 season), all that was missing was the rings. Then he won one...and experienced more playoff failures, lost his next two Super Bowls and was harshly critiqued and judged, much more so than his peers. This, to a guy who often played head and shoulders above everyone around him...

The rules don't get magically reapplied for Aaron Rodgers. The fact of the matter is yes, he has had a "plethora of success" and won some big games, just not the biggest ones. Although even the Packers run of success since 2009 pales in comparison to the Indianapolis Colts' run of success from 2002-2010....

The Packers and Aaron have shown an inability to climb back to the top of the mountain and have a losing playoff record since winning it all. Rodgers, for all his greatness, has had three or four stinkers himself. They've gone 0-2 in return trips to the NFC Championship. Aside from one magical run as a 6-seed in 2010, he and his team have been below average in the postseason, sometimes after outstanding regular seasons. These are facts, and they were also facts applicable to Peyton Manning. Nobody protected him, though, and he certainly is a Top 5 all-time QB...

Aaron Rodgers and McCarthy have to win more, point blank period! Such is the way of the NFL...

The reason Rodgers and even Peyton manning don't have the amount SB wins in relation to their regular season and early round post season success is they finally have to play against a good defense either in the conference championship or the Super Bowl. Those Patriots defenses early in the 2000's were solid and Peyton struggled against them. Rodgers has faced a good Giants defense in 2011, good 49ers defenses in 2012 and 2013 and Seattle most recently. They look all world against teams with average defenses and rules that benefit


Dan Marino threw for 5,000 yards and that record stood for decades and now has been matched and eclipsed by multiple QBs in the last 10 years. Something fishy about that.


NE won a couple years ago against Seattle but ppl fail to admit that three of the LOB starters were injured and it still took a defensive play to seal the game on a dumb play call by Bevell for the Seahawks. Both SB against the Giants were lost because of facing a good pass rush and the opposing offense doing "Just Enough" to win. Losing to those Ravens teams that played good defensive ball, Denver with their recent good defensive play and even the Jets in the divisional round when they had Bart Scott and that good defense.


I'm just sick of seeing these overrated QB's padding their stats against teams with weak defenses and rules that aid offensive production. If Houston had even a decent QB they may have beaten NE last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,520,917 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
As far as Rodgers stinkers, he has a better QBR when playing away than Brady does. All QBs have stinkers in the playoffs. Brady included. It's lose or go home so QBs aren't afraid to take greater risks if down.

Dude, most teams have a losing playoff record. Steelers are 3-4 since their Super Bowl with the Packers. Saints are 2-3. Cowboys are 1-2. Chiefs are 1-3. Cardinals are 1-2. And on it goes. And how about all the seasons these teams didn't even make the playoffs!

You expect them to simply go on a winning tear every single year so they don't have a losing record? Aren't you a Redskins fan of all teams? How is there playoff record the last few years? 0-2.
Yep, I agree. The one team I can think of with a good playoff record is Baltimore. They always win at least 1 game before losing. But unlike NE who plays consistently all year to get that bye, Baltimore is a team capable of getting a bye (at least in their good years) that ends up getting a wild card game against an inferior division winner. They're 1-1 since their SB victory, but 10-5 since 2008 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:44 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,520,917 times
Reputation: 1143
If you're saying NE is vulnerable to lose against the right type of team, you're right. If you're saying NE is overrated and we don't know if they're for real until the AFCCG because they play garbage teams, including the divisional round, each year, I think they've gotten past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,375 posts, read 1,370,155 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I wouldn't say below average in the postseason. More like not at the top. But certainly above average when you include teams like Houston, Cincinnati, Oakland, even Pittsburgh and Atlanta.



I think this was a good argument a few years ago, but the Patriots have gotten over the hump the past few years. They now have a solid defense, and not too many teams have the pass rush to get to Brady anyway. Sure they lost to Denver a couple times but it was also Brady vs. Manning. But it's been a while since they've gotten their asses kicked by NYG, Baltimore, or NYJ. They still do have a fairly easy path to getting to the finals, but you can't fault them for that. It's like the students that get an A in the class because they work hard all semester. Their path is less stressful than the ones that dick around and need to get a 98% on the final to get an A in the class.

Their poor division is still a valid argument. Seattle went 4-0 this year playing the AFC East.
Buffalo hasn't had a post season berth since 2000, the Jets have been garbage and Miami backs inas the six seed this year because of lack of quality teams overall in the AFC. Their division is trash.


Here are the quarterbacks the Patriots defense has faced in that span, along with their passer ratings for the year:

Last edited by Fastphilly; 01-22-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,520,917 times
Reputation: 1143
I agree but New England has gotten better since 2012. They're no longer a soft team. By some measures, they have a top defense, and certainly had a strong defense when they won it all 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top